Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How LONG must I wait for my MCU2 UPGRADE???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your Model S seems to fall into the mysterious "Autopilot Computer 2.5 Built between mid-January 2018 and March 2018" group on Full Self-Driving Computer Installations where some reason FSD computer upgrades aren't available until later this month. Indeed older Model S vehicles with HW2.0/2.5 and newer ones with HW2.5 are currently scheduling.
Wow! I just clicked on that link and you are right....That is just crazy to have some cars in a particular time period to be last on the list. That to me is just crazy but something else that was even MORE interesting in this article was the following:
"How much does the FSD Computer upgrade cost?"
"The FSD Computer upgrade is complimentary for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability. To purchase Full Self-Driving Capability, access the upgrades menu from the Tesla app."

What does THAT mean? I thought there was a cost of $2500...

Wow! I just clicked on that link and you are right....That is just crazy to have some cars in a particular time period to be last on the list. That to me is just crazy but something else that was even MORE interesting in this article was the following:
"How much does the FSD Computer upgrade cost?"
"The FSD Computer upgrade is complimentary for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability. To purchase Full Self-Driving Capability, access the upgrades menu from the Tesla app."

What does THAT mean? I thought there was a cost of $2500...

The AP computer upgrade to HW3 is free if you have prepurchased FSD. The MCU or infotainment upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is $2500 and is not considered necessary for FSD (at this time) and therefore not included in FSD pricing.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Thank you. This is beyond frustrating. When older cars than mine are getting it and the few newer ones than mine have gotten theirs, I don't see any rationality to this particular issue. Not impressive for sure.
You should try scheduling the Infotainment Upgrade again @CBPfromTN, as I was just able to successfully schedule it for myself at the Brentwood Service Center (no invitation email ever received). They did state that, "parts take 3-4 weeks to arrive". My appointment is scheduled for 7/28.

You should try scheduling the Infotainment Upgrade again @CBPfromTN, as I was just able to successfully schedule it for myself at the Brentwood Service Center (no invitation email ever received). They did state that, "parts take 3-4 weeks to arrive". My appointment is scheduled for 7/28.
Thank you! I saw an article that showed all of the manufacturing dates of ALL the Model S cars that were going to be getting the upgrade and actually mine is in a very small window of about 5 weeks where all the cars made during that particular time (delivered Feb. 23 thru March 10 or so) are the VERY LAST IN LINE TO GET IT. Cars newer get it sooner and cars older get it sooner. No explanation either. I will call them today tho, just to hear what they have to say THIS time.
Thank you!

Reactions: croman
Thank you! I saw an article that showed all of the manufacturing dates of ALL the Model S cars that were going to be getting the upgrade and actually mine is in a very small window of about 5 weeks where all the cars made during that particular time (delivered Feb. 23 thru March 10 or so) are the VERY LAST IN LINE TO GET IT. Cars newer get it sooner and cars older get it sooner. No explanation either. I will call them today tho, just to hear what they have to say THIS time.
Thank you!
Can you share the article?

Did any of you actually receive the email invitation to upgrade your MCU? I'm still waiting on that AP 2.5 Sept 2017 bulid.
They aren’t sending out emails anymore. Some time in May they updated the Infotainment support page. While previously the site said that we would be notified via email, it was changed to be consistent with the actual process:

“If your vehicle configuration is listed in the table below as ‘Scheduling Now,’ you can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation.” In another place, it now says: “Scheduling will be updated in the table once the upgrade is available for each configuration.” where it used to say “We’ll invite owners as their cars become available.”

Infotainment Upgrade

I also have a Sept 2017 build and my SC ordered the parts for my MCU2 upgrade on May 29. Still waiting for parts to come in.

When I scheduled my appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade, I very specifically specified, "...including screen replacement, as current screen has yellowed borders." However, contrary to my expressed wishes, when I received my email for "Parts Update for Your Service Visit", it specified, " MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA Part #: 9874561-00-B".
Now service is ignoring my attempts to contact them regarding this.

• Informative
Tesla is officially scheduling FSD retrofit ~worldwide~ in US for all those who have purchased FSD Capability now including those with the mysterious "between 2018 mid-January and March" vehicles:
fsd scheduling.png

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Looks like they added a note for those who recently purchased the upgrade (getting the lower FSD price) last week.

Last edited:
Just received the following test message from Tesla Service regarding my scheduled appointment for an Infotainment Upgrade (with request for included screen replacement):
Hello, we are revising our process to optimize installation time and are pausing this retrofit until mid-August. In the meantime, we will notate your request, order a kit on your behalf (if not already ordered) and contact you when the procedure is resumed.

When I scheduled my appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade, I very specifically specified, "...including screen replacement, as current screen has yellowed borders." However, contrary to my expressed wishes, when I received my email for "Parts Update for Your Service Visit", it specified, " MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA Part #: 9874561-00-B".
Now service is ignoring my attempts to contact them regarding this.
It seems more likely they're currently experiencing a screen shortage, so if you're going to want the screen replacement included you may have to wait a long time.

It seems more likely they're currently experiencing a screen shortage, so if you're going to want the screen replacement included you may have to wait a long time.

I wonder if they're setup to have screens for these cars for the long-term.

It'd be quite frustrating if 2024 rolls around and every S out there gets totaled when screen fails and there are no replacement screens anywhere on the planet.