Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How LONG must I wait for my MCU2 UPGRADE???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model S since Feb. 23, 2018. That was the date of delivery. I have FSD and was notified several months ago that IF I was eligible (I AM,) that I would be able to purchase the upgrade to the MCU2 by paying $2500.
My question is: Does ANYONE know how to get Tesla to do this?
I was informed that newer cars that didn't have it (there couldn't have been too many since mine was one of the last ones manufactured with the MCU1) would be first to get the option of upgrading and they would go "back" and do the older ones in order of VIN.
Well, older cars and newer cars than mine have it, but even though I have requested it thru my phone app for scheduling service, detailing that I want the upgrade, NOTHING.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

i believe the process starts with an invitation from Tesla before they will honor an appointment request. the invitation is based on VIN numbers.
Many of us (including myself) NEVER received any sort of email. I just booked it, and received a test saying my VIN qualified for it and had it done in mid March!

Many of us (including myself) NEVER received any sort of email. I just booked it, and received a test saying my VIN qualified for it and had it done in mid March!

Same here. No invite. And first couple of requests that I initiated were rejected based on the mobile ranger trying to use the HW3 upgrade tool to check my VIN to tell me I wasn't eligible.

But through a couple strong arms, I was able to get an appointment at my local SC and was able to get the upgrade without issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: CBPfromTN
I tried that. Two days later my request was canceled and I was told that i had to wait for the invitation. One reason given was that the replacement parts for an AP 2.5 / HW 2.0 / MCU 1 car were not available yet. Tesla announced later that for they expected availability - for these parts - by the end of April. I'm hoping they are right.

• Helpful
i believe the process starts with an invitation from Tesla before they will honor an appointment request. the invitation is based on VIN numbers.
I agree that it's based on VINs HOWEVER, cars older than mine and newer than mine have been done. I am thinking maybe it's the location of my Tesla dealership. Maybe they don't have the parts. When I got the email saying I "MIGHT" be eligible, I thought that was odd since I AM eligible. No word from them even now. I am calling my dealership today. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE: Called dealership, of course, couldn't speak to anyone so I left a very vague message saying I had a question and asked them to call me. We'll see...

Last edited:
I DO have HW 2.5 however my local dealership in Nashville doesn't have the components to do the infotainment upgrade at this time. I spoke with Tesla today about this and they told me they're hoping to have EVERYONE upgraded by the end of May. I don't see how this could happen but they did say (this was Tesla Corp., not my local service center,) that since my car is one of the newer ones needing the upgrade it shouldn't be as big a job as an older Tesla Model S would be.
So, I am just waiting on the email from my service center to tell me they have the components. Hopefully it will be soon.

@CBPfromTN, I’m in the same boat as you, except with Model X in Pittsburgh. HW 2.5, MCU1, FSD. I have twice tried to schedule the infotainment/HW3 appointment, and both times was told that I have to wait for the email. Frustrating that 2 months ago the HW2.5 configuration was listed as “scheduling now.” It would just be nice to have more accurate info/expectations for the timing.

• Informative
I've tried multiple times to get a SC appointment for MCU & HW upgrade for my 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 MX and still no luck. Each time they say "check back in 4-5 weeks" and when I do I get the same message. I just wish there was some more information on these things.

The information you are asking for is on Tesla’s web site. It has been updated at least twice as the date is pushed out. I have the same hardware as you so late May, unless they push again. You will get an email when you are eligible. Tesla has furloughed thousands of employees, and have been forced to close their factories. Making appointments over and over means the limited staff has to research your case, then respond and cancel. Certainly we can afford them some patience while they have both hands tied behind their back.

Infotainment Upgrade

I've tried multiple times to get a SC appointment for MCU & HW upgrade for my 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 MX and still no luck. Each time they say "check back in 4-5 weeks" and when I do I get the same message. I just wish there was some more information on these things.

According to the website, they’re currently planning on end of May(see: Infotainment Upgrade). That’s been changed twice so far, likely taking a hit because of COVID-19.

• Informative
Hmmm... ::rubbing chin:: I wonder if some kind of major world event happened during the last two months that may have had an impact on plans Tesla had in place. I guess we'll never know.
Someone at Tesla is still working and has updated the website with the slippage in the expected schedule for HW2.0. If the pandemic is affecting their ability to do HW2.5, they could also update it to say on hold rather than continuing to say now scheduling. My service center is still open. Lots of reports of model 3’s still getting their HW3 installations during the pandemic.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Someone at Tesla is still working and has updated the website with the slippage in the expected schedule for HW2.0. If the pandemic is affecting their ability to do HW2.5, they could also update it to say on hold rather than continuing to say now scheduling. My service center is still open. Lots of reports of model 3’s still getting their HW3 installations during the pandemic.
Well said!

• Informative
do you think the price will go down in a year or 2?I have 2.5 with mcu1 and paid for fsd. I heard you must get mcu2 for if you want fsd. I don't want to be forced but if it came down a little I would do it. 6month after buying my S they dropped the proce 10k. Already feel like I'm in the whole
Getting MCU2 now is a way to prioritize FSD installation. Eventually, those who have MCU1 will be able to get the FSD hardware upgrade.