Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How LONG must I wait for my MCU2 UPGRADE???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chose a different option the first time and received a cancellation text the next day. They didn't actually cancel the appointment so I just edited it and used the options you suggested. We'll see if I get a different answer tomorrow...
I think it is a hit and miss with Tesla. I did the same thing a month ago and got rejected. BTW they just moved my appointment out a week.

Just got the invite yesterday--scheduled appointment for next week

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 23.54.49.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 23.54.49.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gt1948
I will be very interested if you learn anything from this. I just did an online chat with Tesla support and found it of no help. My basic question was whether they could confirm whether my HW2.5 car is yet eligible - whether an email has been sent that I perhaps missed. The only response I got was that they are experiencing delays right now due to a national emergency. I tried to pull that string, asking whether there is an actual parts shortage, and got no answer. The chat ended with essentially don’t call us, we’ll call you.

Now that they have added HW2.0 to the “scheduling now” list, it looks like more will be in the “but not for you” camp, as @MorrisonHiker has just found with his first try.

Quick update on my progress. Over the weekend I had my driver's side door latch actuator go out (I guess this is relatively common), so I modified my original appointment and reschedule from the original date of the 26th to the 13th. This morning they sent me an email confirming the appointment as well as confirming that they can perform the MCU2 and HW3 upgrade at the same time.

It's interesting because they originally postponed my appointment for yesterday the 11th because they said they didn't have the HW3 hardware and pushed me to the 26th, but now they are able to do everything tomorrow. My guess is that they try not to have the same vehicle come in multiple times if possible and since my door actuator was a high priority fix (since the door won't open from the outside) they nabbed some parts from another lower priority service so they could complete mine while the vehicle was there.

I've uploaded the sections of my service estimate related to the MCU and HW3 upgrade in case it's interesting to anyone. The "reroute main front body harness" item was an item that is applicable to all vehicle of my era as a non-critical recall.

I guess I'm lucky that my door actuator failed since that allowed me to pull in my appointment and luckily they were able to pull all the required parts together.
I still plan to discuss the topic of why it took the mobile service guy pushing to get my vehicle to show up as eligible for the upgrade so I'll share what I learn.

Attachments

• Tesla Service screenshot.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 97
My guess is that they try not to have the same vehicle come in multiple times if possible and since my door actuator was a high priority fix (since the door won't open from the outside) they nabbed some parts from another lower priority service so they could complete mine while the vehicle was there.
I’ve had that same door problem. A little embarrassing to have to come in from the passenger door and climb over the seats.... certainly don’t want to have to do that for long.

I’ve had that same door problem. A little embarrassing to have to come in from the passenger door and climb over the seats.... certainly don’t want to have to do that for long.

I agree! Glad they were able to get me in for a fix within a few days.
Overall, I've been a little disappointed with the number of these types of problems I've had with my MX since I bought it. Although, I generally think of pre-2019 Tesla's as being in "beta" to some degree, although the price tag definitely doesn't reflect this.
That being said, I'm happy to be "beta tester" when it comes to auto-pilot and all the other boundaries Tesla is pushing. Getting regular software updates is incredibly fun for me and I love testing out the new features.

I agree! Glad they were able to get me in for a fix within a few days.
Overall, I've been a little disappointed with the number of these types of problems I've had with my MX since I bought it. Although, I generally think of pre-2019 Tesla's as being in "beta" to some degree, although the price tag definitely doesn't reflect this.
That being said, I'm happy to be "beta tester" when it comes to auto-pilot and all the other boundaries Tesla is pushing. Getting regular software updates is incredibly fun for me and I love testing out the new features.
Quick update on my progress. Over the weekend I had my driver's side door latch actuator go out (I guess this is relatively common), so I modified my original appointment and reschedule from the original date of the 26th to the 13th. This morning they sent me an email confirming the appointment as well as confirming that they can perform the MCU2 and HW3 upgrade at the same time.

It's interesting because they originally postponed my appointment for yesterday the 11th because they said they didn't have the HW3 hardware and pushed me to the 26th, but now they are able to do everything tomorrow. My guess is that they try not to have the same vehicle come in multiple times if possible and since my door actuator was a high priority fix (since the door won't open from the outside) they nabbed some parts from another lower priority service so they could complete mine while the vehicle was there.

I've uploaded the sections of my service estimate related to the MCU and HW3 upgrade in case it's interesting to anyone. The "reroute main front body harness" item was an item that is applicable to all vehicle of my era as a non-critical recall.

I guess I'm lucky that my door actuator failed since that allowed me to pull in my appointment and luckily they were able to pull all the required parts together.
I still plan to discuss the topic of why it took the mobile service guy pushing to get my vehicle to show up as eligible for the upgrade so I'll share what I learn.

I picked up my MX this evening and it now has HW3 and MCU2, as hoped. Unfortunately because of social distancing I didn't have the opportunity to ask the service team anything about why I never received the email or why my vehicle was showing up as ineligible for the updates. I think one of my favorite things about the update is how smooth MCU2 is! The stop light and stop sign control are pretty cool as well, but you can tell still in beta and quite conservative, which is good!

Got updated from Service Rep. My AP2 > AP3 + MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is going to take longer than expected.

They said that the service tech has to work with Tesla Engineers at headquarter because my current MCU1 is dead. I believe they need to sync some data from the existing MCU1 to the MCU2 for the upgrade to work. They said my car would be ready by Tuesday or Wednesday the latest. I've waited this long so whats another few days. o_O

Service advisor called me this morning. They completed the retrofit, however one of the wood trim pieces was damaged so they are trying to track down a replacement. We'll see how it works out... I'm not surprised something would be damaged during this type of retrofit. Hopefully they complete it by end of day as the estimate states on the app. The real question is how many clips are damaged on the inside. :oops:o_O

Well car is still in the shop. Apparently the new MCU is not communicating with my car? Weird. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the MCU since we are paying $2500 for the upgrade. They said FSD computer AP3.0 seems fine. I’m asking them to confirm they are upgrading the instrument cluster.

Another update. The car is ready for pickup! Excited to get it back.

They sent me the invoice and immediately I was surprised and disappointed to see that 1. They are attempting to charge me $170 for the trim they broke and called me about (claiming full responsibility and that they will replace) and 2. Charging $195 in labor when it clearly states on the Tesla website "This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation." Infotainment Upgrade

I'm trying to get this resolved so I can pay for the upgrade and move on with my life. Tesla service bait & switch is getting old. :eek: Also they apparently damaged and replaced the entire top of the dash. :(

Here is what they sent me:
Capture.PNG

Last edited: