Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How LONG must I wait for my MCU2 UPGRADE???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update. The car is ready for pickup! Excited to get it back.

They sent me the invoice and immediately I was surprised and disappointed to see that 1. They are attempting to charge me $170 for the trim they broke and called me about (claiming full responsibility and that they will replace) and 2. Charging $195 in labor when it clearly states on the Tesla website "This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation." Infotainment Upgrade

I'm trying to get this resolved so I can pay for the upgrade and move on with my life. Tesla service bait & switch is getting old. :eek: Also they apparently damaged and replaced the entire top of the dash. :(

Here is what they sent me:
View attachment 543403

I have noticed lately that with the new Adobe approve and return system many a time I get a second or even a third amendment. Most often not at my request. I am sure if they took responsibility they also could just have entered the line item as customer pay when putting piece on as an accident. The other items on the work order are customer pay. Please do let us know the outcome. I mean was it bait and switch and all that. Would think if they messed up your dash and replaced that would follow down hill on the other parts.

Ok I got to take a test drive today with all the FSD features enabled. It worked fairly well but the stop sign and light confirmation is more work than worth it.

Another thing that I noticed was my IC had a screen protector film they forgot to remove before putting all the trim back. It was driving me crazy because I thought the new IC screen was darker with more glare and scratches.

I ended up pushing up in the middle top of the black plastic IC shroud and it caught the top edge of the film on the way down and I was able to peal it off. :D

1CDE9AE4-D540-4342-B51C-1F893E5F8071.jpeg
7920A845-AEE4-45C4-A55F-5391AA7832A1.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and Gt1948
Picked up the car. So far things look good. It was dark so I could not really look in detail. The MCU 2.0 is super snappy! I will need to try out FSD Computer after the maps update downloads and I can enable the stop light detection.

I just want to congratulate you on getting your MCU2. I think you are the first to successfully persuade Tesla to let you jump from a failed MCU1 to MCU2 Upgrade. I know several people have recently tried and have been denied. Glad for you that it worked out. I bet it too some diplomacy to pull off getting to be one of the first. Or maybe donuts? Dozens of dozens? Just kiddin'.

Way to Go !!!

I just want to congratulate you on getting your MCU2. I think you are the first to successfully persuade Tesla to let you jump from a failed MCU1 to MCU2 Upgrade. I know several people have recently tried and have been denied. Glad for you that it worked out. I bet it too some diplomacy to pull off getting to be one of the first. Or maybe donuts? Dozens of dozens? Just kiddin'.

Way to Go !!!

Thanks! :D I did pay for it $2500+ tax. No free MCU2.

Another update. The car is ready for pickup! Excited to get it back.

They sent me the invoice and immediately I was surprised and disappointed to see that 1. They are attempting to charge me $170 for the trim they broke and called me about (claiming full responsibility and that they will replace) and 2. Charging $195 in labor when it clearly states on the Tesla website "This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation." Infotainment Upgrade

I'm trying to get this resolved so I can pay for the upgrade and move on with my life. Tesla service bait & switch is getting old. :eek: Also they apparently damaged and replaced the entire top of the dash. :(

That's disappointing to see! I double-checked my invoice and confirmed that they did not charge me any labor, it was strictly $2500 plus tax.
Good luck getting this resolved!

Reactions: CBPfromTN
just had HW3 installed. Was hoping infotainment would be available. Was told 4-6 weeks. Waiting on email invite. 2017 MS 75 FSD
You're in the Memphis area, so did the Nashville Service Center send someone to install HW3 for you? Here I sit, just outside of Nashville and can't get anything or anyone to give me any hope of getting HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade.
I know all about Covid etc. etc. but Fremont has been open now for a couple of weeks.
How did you get HW3, anyway? Did you have to call someone?
Thanks for the info.

I just got upgrade. I didn't purchase premium sound. I didn't see a new Dolby tab but I see a huge difference in audio. I can even hear navigation better also. That always bothered me when window or sunroof are open and couldn't hear. Even the base sounds better but don't se how thats possible. Games are more directional like Dolby. Anybody else?
Anyone else?

You're in the Memphis area, so did the Nashville Service Center send someone to install HW3 for you? Here I sit, just outside of Nashville and can't get anything or anyone to give me any hope of getting HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade.
I know all about Covid etc. etc. but Fremont has been open now for a couple of weeks.
How did you get HW3, anyway? Did you have to call someone?
Thanks for the info.
Memphis Service Center did install.
I stayed in touch with Memphis via text. They texted me when it was available.

• Informative
When I did my monthly request for Infotainment upgrade yesterday, instead of getting the appointment canceled, my SC replied that they have ordered the parts but don’t know how long it will take to get them. So they changed my appointment to “unscheduled but parts on order.” I’m counting this as progress.Does anyone know if it’s taking a long time to get the MCU2 upgrade parts?

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
When I did my monthly request for Infotainment upgrade yesterday, instead of getting the appointment canceled, my SC replied that they have ordered the parts but don’t know how long it will take to get them. So they changed my appointment to “unscheduled but parts on order.” I’m counting this as progress.Does anyone know if it’s taking a long time to get the MCU2 upgrade parts?

Yes parts are now under supplied. I think people are being told a month.

• Informative
Same, unfortunately.

• Informative
Well, today is Monday, June 8th.
Still crickets from the Nashville Service Center.
Older cars than mine are getting it.
Only a few cars are newer than mine since I got mine about a month before they started delivering Model S cars with the MCU2.
Those few cars ALSO, (I know someone with one) have gotten theirs.
I have just about given up, tired of waiting.

I have had my Model S since Feb. 23, 2018
When older cars than mine are getting it and the few newer ones than mine have gotten theirs
Your Model S seems to fall into the mysterious "Autopilot Computer 2.5 Built between mid-January 2018 and March 2018" group on Full Self-Driving Computer Installations where some reason FSD computer upgrades aren't available until later this month. Indeed older Model S vehicles with HW2.0/2.5 and newer ones with HW2.5 are currently scheduling.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Thank you. This is beyond frustrating. When older cars than mine are getting it and the few newer ones than mine have gotten theirs, I don't see any rationality to this particular issue. Not impressive for sure.

Hey, Hi, Don't let this frustrate you. It will come. Look at it as a positive. Let others go first and let the SC folks get up to speed on what they have to do. Trust me. Mine was the first done in my town. The factory made a mistake that they didn't see until they had torn my dash down. Wrong cable in the kit. So, they had to order another, that took a week. I had a loaner, but I wanted my baby back. A week later, I got it. But had they done a couple before mine, they would have known what they were looking for/at when the opened the box.

You will get your chance. We've already waited 2 1/2 years just for the newer MCU2, and getting it all at once is nice. MCU2 is worth it, even though I lost radio, I still have TuneIn.

I bet your neighbors with they had your problem - waiting your time for an upgrade for you miracle car.

Best to you.

Hey, Hi, Don't let this frustrate you. It will come. Look at it as a positive. Let others go first and let the SC folks get up to speed on what they have to do. Trust me. Mine was the first done in my town. The factory made a mistake that they didn't see until they had torn my dash down. Wrong cable in the kit. So, they had to order another, that took a week. I had a loaner, but I wanted my baby back. A week later, I got it. But had they done a couple before mine, they would have known what they were looking for/at when the opened the box.

You will get your chance. We've already waited 2 1/2 years just for the newer MCU2, and getting it all at once is nice. MCU2 is worth it, even though I lost radio, I still have TuneIn.

I bet your neighbors with they had your problem - waiting your time for an upgrade for you miracle car.

Best to you.
You're right! I know this is a "first world" problem but it still is frustrating. AND....you're right about not being the first one to get it, too. That's very true and I think of that often when another update comes with something new. I am not the best at using EAP and I am happy to let others teach it! I do most of my driving in a small town NE of Nashville and I rarely have to go into Nashville so I rarely drive the interstate. Everything I need is right here, so I don't have the practice I should have to use EAP confidently. So, others can be the Beta testers and I'll catch up eventually. Thanks for the kind words!

Reactions: Akikiki