Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long one has to wait to get the V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With such a major change, there is going to be things some would hate. I just got upgraded from 32.3 to 39.6 today and thought overall it is better. The MCU1 AP2 ‘s main screen is snappier, which had been a major gripe. The single app only beside nav is less flexible but is what I use 95% if the time. Change is necessary for progress, but it can be hard.

I keep reading these posts about one being extremely annoyed for not being able to keep the rear camera up. I think too much! It feels like spam. I don't care about that, I think it is distracting. Most likely the ability to have 2 apps on the huge screen is nice... not sure how the new UI is working, I have no hands on with it so I Can't speak about hating it yet. Radical design changes are harsh.. you like some and hate the others. The real question is if you can get used to it and there is a real big pain. If it is .. hopefully they will adjust. This is the easiest thing to do. I am sure they get a lot of crap internally if the UI really sucks.
I got the invitation to be EAP about a week ago but nothing so far on that front. I still don't have the v9 to start with.

I got it yesterday, while my car was at the service center. Funny enough when I brought it in I asked for them to push it and they said they could not, but from the wifi connection it just downloaded it. It actually always happens when I'm at the service center.

If you are wanting it badly enough and have some time, go park at a Service Center, connect to their wifi and come back a few hours later. Maybe that will get it done.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I got it yesterday, while my car was at the service center. Funny enough when I brought it in I asked for them to push it and they said they could not, but from the wifi connection it just downloaded it. It actually always happens when I'm at the service center.

If you are wanting it badly enough and have some time, go park at a Service Center, connect to their wifi and come back a few hours later. Maybe that will get it done.

I highly doubt they are notifying per WiFi AP. They are notifying cars, they have a car identifier and they push the notifications based on batches. Not as a broadcast on their facilities WiFi networks.

Reactions: Ahzuz
I highly doubt they are notifying per WiFi AP. They are notifying cars, they have a car identifier and they push the notifications based on batches. Not as a broadcast on their facilities WiFi networks.
Exactly, this is pure randomness.

Yes you will download v9 faster on wifi vs LTE but it won't actually help you get the v9 package faster for your specific car.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2015, and this is the slowest "wide release" I've ever witnessed of a major update.

V7 wasn't this slow
V8 wasn't this slow

I'm using TeslaFi as the measuring stick.

Does not surprise me that the updates are taking longer. Look how many more cars there are now! With more cars out there, I would think it will take that much longer for the downloads to occur.

Doesn't that make sense? (I am no expert on wireless software distribution processes...)

This is from a year ago but the point is still valid. If Apple (or android but I have none to compare) can allow every customer to initiate a download of the latest and greatest iOS on demand the day it is released, WHY does it take literally weeks if not a month for Tesla to graciously allow a particular owner to have a new software release?

How much space does iOS 11 take up?
It varies from device to device. The iOS 11 OTA update is around 1.7GB to 1.8GB in size and would require about 1.5GB of temporary space in order to completely install the iOS. Hence, it is recommended to have at least 4GB of storage space before upgrading. Sep 18, 2017

This is from a year ago but the point is still valid. If Apple (or android but I have none to compare) can allow every customer to initiate a download of the latest and greatest iOS on demand the day it is released, WHY does it take literally weeks if not a month for Tesla to graciously allow a particular owner to have a new software release?

How much space does iOS 11 take up?
It varies from device to device. The iOS 11 OTA update is around 1.7GB to 1.8GB in size and would require about 1.5GB of temporary space in order to completely install the iOS. Hence, it is recommended to have at least 4GB of storage space before upgrading. Sep 18, 2017

2 Reasons I can think of.
1) They dont want every car hitting their servers at once. As the fleet grows, from what I read in articles and such, they arnt configured to use a cloud service like AWS that can grow exponentially like apple and android can do. They have their own Vmware Data center. So this could be to curb too many connections and cause a DOS.

2) As it is showing already, they want to do it in waves as an extra precaution to make sure the update is good. This allows them to evaluate a couple waves and make patches accordingly. Folks that have 39.6 have already been updated to 39.7, so this shows they stopped the fleet wide distribution to make some tweeks. And really, its a car that carries people at fast speeds. I am frankly happy they take a lot of precaution when updating. A car is not like a phone where a bad release could kill someone.

2 Reasons I can think of.
1) They dont want every car hitting their servers at once. As the fleet grows, from what I read in articles and such, they arnt configured to use a cloud service like AWS that can grow exponentially like apple and android can do. They have their own Vmware Data center. So this could be to curb too many connections and cause a DOS.

2) As it is showing already, they want to do it in waves as an extra precaution to make sure the update is good. This allows them to evaluate a couple waves and make patches accordingly. Folks that have 39.6 have already been updated to 39.7, so this shows they stopped the fleet wide distribution to make some tweeks. And really, its a car that carries people at fast speeds. I am frankly happy they take a lot of precaution when updating. A car is not like a phone where a bad release could kill someone.

All I have to add to that is:

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Funny
Reactions: googleiscoul
Well here's to hoping. My pessimist side says they will eventually have a button to request, but wont necessarily push it to your car.

C6D20874-13A5-40B0-90D7-3A5E3AEDFD2B.jpeg

WTF troll, you're running around TMC critizing everyone who points out the flaws in v9 and how much they hate it... and you haven't recieved the update yourself, yet?

Im guessing you dont actually read what I post. I criticize the posts speaking as if things are facts, when actually they are an opinion. Ive also pointed out many times that the criticism is valid, just not the multiple threads, escalation, and petition.

2nd. Interesting that you didnt consider even though I may not have it on my Model S, but ive never experienced the update by some other means.

Reactions: quickstrike12
This evidence could be purely anecdotal,

BUT

a on Tuesday night I parked my car within range of a public WiFi hotspot (thank you LinkNYC) since I don't have WiFi in my garage (and no garage of my own to speak of anyway) and listened to my audiobook for about 15 minutes -- to ensure that the wifi connection would not drop b/c the car went to sleep from inactivity or something)

and lo and behold.. on Wednesday morning i got notified that the next update was ready to be installed.. YAY.

I drove my car to work.. parked in the garage there (no wifi there either.. but who cares.. my update had already downloaded...)

and installed the V9 update.. YAY!

now

many have pointed out that being on wifi doesn't necessarily mean that you will access to the update.. only that it will download faster b/c presumably the connection won't keep cutting out as often happens with cellular data.

BUT

my experience with V9 speaks to something else going on behind the scenes.

perhaps it is a big update and Tesla doesn't want to push it out over cellular data? (full disclosure my car was one of the last ones to roll off the line in May 2015 with 3G/HSPA hardware instead of the 4G/LTE hardware of newer Ss, Xs, and 3s)

my advice... find a wifi hotspot with decent throughput and speed.. connect your car to it... hang out in the car for 5-10 minutes to make sure the MCU doesn't go to sleep. leave your car there and go run an errand, grab a bite to eat, etc etc

i'd wager that shortly after your return you will be prompted that the V9 update is available.

No more waiting!

If it means anything to any of you I have not received my software update to v9 either. Both of my Teslas are in the garage with a very good wifi connection. Maybe someone can explain to me why neither of my cars have received the update? I have a 2018 P100DL and a 2018 M3????

Our new (delivered Sept. 22) S 75D has been sitting in our WiFi-accessible garage since we brought it home. We haven't been driving it because... well that's another story. But I've been watching for the V9 update and it's not there yet. My theories include....
1. They are pushing it out to older models first
2. Since we didn't get EAP, and V9 is heavy on EAP improvements, we're not a priority
3. Since we live in Arizona and don't need the cold weather features, we're last in line
4. Cars that don't seem to be moving are given low priority
5. It's just not our turn yet
At least we won't be complaining about the differences between V8 and V9 since we haven't been driving it.