Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long should I keep my 2016 model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Model X 75D with AP2 (bought it in Dec 2016). It has a little over 160k miles on it. The car is still driving well but the warranty for the battery and drivetrain will be up in Dec 2024. Should I keep the car long term or should I consider selling it before the warranty expires? Thanks!

The main reasons for thinking about replacement are: 1. We spent ~$7500 on car repairs this past year (replaced front drive unit half shaft (2.5k), replaced front fore links and suspension links (2.5k), parking break malfunction (2k)). 2. Concern about battery/drivetrain warranty expiring in 2 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I would make battery and drivetrain inspection at a third party first. This will give assurance whether there are some preventive actions to be taken: like drivetrain seal and so on. If there are any findings based on inspection would report to Tesla to fix them. Otherwise, if a range isn't issue and considering total investments, I would keep it.

Looks like you've spent a fair amount getting it in good shape. If it meets your driving needs and depending on your money situation, I'd consider keeping it. Used and new car prices are still very high AFAIK.

To give you some comfort you could buy an adapter and use the ScanMyTesla app to evaluate your battery cells and see if any are out of average. Cell [voltage] diff at diff SOCs (100, 70, 30) are important.
Adapters/FAQ/etc here: scan my tesla
eAmQsSt.jpg

front drive unit half shaft
There was a service bulletin on them (sb-21-39-001). I wonder if your replacement was supposed to be no charge but I may be confused.

nRjacrI.jpg

What will you replace it with and what will that cost. XCare may have a battery warranty available now.

These are big heavy cars that will need suspension work eventually. Batteries are a crap shoot. I got the regular XCare warranty for 8 years and plan on driving mine for quite some time. I don’t put a lot of miles on. I may look into the XCare battery warranty

Worst case is needs 30k of work in the next 5 years. That’s 6k a year. What is your replacement budget?

Looks like you've spent a fair amount getting it in good shape. If it meets your driving needs and depending on your money situation, I'd consider keeping it. Used and new car prices are still very high AFAIK.

To give you some comfort you could buy an adapter and use the ScanMyTesla app to evaluate your battery cells and see if any are out of average. Cell [voltage] diff at diff SOCs (100, 70, 30) are important.
eAmQsSt.jpg

There was a service bulletin on them (sb-21-39-001). I wonder if your replacement was supposed to be no charge but I may be confused.

nRjacrI.jpg
This is very helpful! I will see if I could get my money back.

What will you replace it with and what will that cost. XCare may have a battery warranty available now.

These are big heavy cars that will need suspension work eventually. Batteries are a crap shoot. I got the regular XCare warranty for 8 years and plan on driving mine for quite some time. I don’t put a lot of miles on. I may look into the XCare battery warranty

Worst case is needs 30k of work in the next 5 years. That’s 6k a year. What is your replacement budget?
We will likely replace with a Model Y since the new Model X is too expensive now…

eAmQsSt.jpg

nRjacrI.jpg
I called Tesla about this but they told me that my vin number was not included in this recall. Thanks so much for the info. It was worth checking.

Reactions: scottf200
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Model X 75D with AP2 (bought it in Dec 2016). It has a little over 160k miles on it. The car is still driving well but the warranty for the battery and drivetrain will be up in Dec 2024. Should I keep the car long term or should I consider selling it before the warranty expires? Thanks!
Forever.

The main reasons for thinking about replacement are: 1. We spent ~$7500 on car repairs this past year (replaced front drive unit half shaft (2.5k), replaced front fore links and suspension links (2.5k), parking break malfunction (2k)). 2. Concern about battery/drivetrain warranty expiring in 2 years.

Am surprised number 1 AND 2 items on that list didn't come up during the 4 year warranty period. Tesla had to do both of those items on our 2017 75D X under warranty, the other thing that will 'fail' is the PTC heater (in cold/wet Europe anyways), and some point air suspension once you go near the 150k+ miles.

Am keeping our X for as long as possible, 'free for life' Supercharging is now actually worth having, we also have FSD on the car, and given the price of a new X (am not interested in the Y), to give up free fuel and pay for FSD ontop of paying $$$$$$ for a new X make little sense.

I expect at some stage I'll pay for a new battery for the X too, however given the 'new' 90kWh pack seems to deliver a true 85kWh usable, that would give our car a range of 250miles - more than new, the current $20K price for it seems OK. Especially when the cost to change to a new X is closet to $50K+ here in the UK.

Am surprised number 1 AND 2 items on that list didn't come up during the 4 year warranty period. Tesla had to do both of those items on our 2017 75D X under warranty, the other thing that will 'fail' is the PTC heater (in cold/wet Europe anyways), and some point air suspension once you go near the 150k+ miles.

Am keeping our X for as long as possible, 'free for life' Supercharging is now actually worth having, we also have FSD on the car, and given the price of a new X (am not interested in the Y), to give up free fuel and pay for FSD ontop of paying $$$$$$ for a new X make little sense.

I expect at some stage I'll pay for a new battery for the X too, however given the 'new' 90kWh pack seems to deliver a true 85kWh usable, that would give our car a range of 250miles - more than new, the current $20K price for it seems OK. Especially when the cost to change to a new X is closet to $50K+ here in the UK.
Thanks so much for your advice! We were passed the 100k mileage limit by the time these repairs occurred.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
H
We will likely replace with a Model Y since the new Model X is too expensive now…
I thought about trading my X in for a Y and it seemed like such a down grade I couldn’t do it. I do think the Y is a superior design overall. But it’s smaller and I use my 3 rd row every day on the morning drop off.

I’m excited to see what other larger electric SUVs arrive on the market in the next 2–3 years. I’m not super loyal to Tesla. They have a great charging network that I’ve never needed. They will remain the leaders in efficiency and manufacturing for some time but real competition is in bound. The Vinfast VF9 looks interesting. Tax credit will mean a many will hold off pitches until they can buy one that qualifies.

If the Y is suitable for your use cases then I would dump the X before your battery and drive unit warranties are up. You don't have a "drivetrain" warranty. It's on the pack and the DUs.
I find it funny that ElectricIAC would give my post a disagree. I stumbled across his post at The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020) today "We're on set #6 here at 54K miles."

In my ~25 years of car ownership (not including anything my parents have owned), I've only ever had to replace half shafts once. The longest I've kept a car was when it hit the 13 year mark. I bought it new. I sold an 8 year old car last year.

• Funny
I find it funny that ElectricIAC would give my post a disagree. I stumbled across his post at The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020) today "We're on set #6 here at 54K miles."

In my ~25 years of car ownership (not including anything my parents have owned), I've only ever had to replace half shafts once. The longest I've kept a car was when it hit the 13 year mark. I bought it new. I sold an 8 year old car last year.
Problematic or not I’d rather have an X than a Y any day ending in the latter. #7 might be the lucky set and maybe it isn’t but as long as Tesla keeps paying to replace them I’m good.

Reactions: polyphonic54