Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long should I wait to buy my Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster 2.0 will have 200 KWh batteries to support extended driving at very high speeds (which uses much more power than normal city/highway driving). Semi's will have larger battery packs due to the heavier loads.

Model X could use a larger battery pack to support trailer towing, though even with a 100 battery pack, since trailers should be towed no faster than 50-55 MPH, you still have enough charge with a 100 battery pack to drive about 3 hours between charging stops.

A downside of having a larger battery pack - longer charging times - both at home, and for those owners who insist on topping off at superchargers and destination chargers.

Model X could use a larger battery pack to support trailer towing, though even with a 100 battery pack, since trailers should be towed no faster than 50-55 MPH, you still have enough charge with a 100 battery pack to drive about 3 hours between charging stops.

A downside of having a larger battery pack - longer charging times - both at home, and for those owners who insist on topping off at superchargers and destination chargers.
I'm still waiting to have my first sighting of a trailer being pulled at 50-55 mph, except maybe up a steep hill :)
A larger battery back should be able to charge more rapidly, or at least no slower, due to the heat being spread out between more batteries.

My plot thickens. Enjoyed the P100D Model S overnight loan. Definitely want to go back to a sedan... I'm not thrilled with having an SUV (the Model X has been my first). And my wife and kids all prefer the MS for me as well.

I've decided I don't want to pay for a new P100D MS, so now my choices are between a new PM3 or a used P100D MS. Test-driving the Performance M3 this week, and we'll see...

I disagree here. Recharging times at home depend on how far you drove today, not on the size of your battery. Whether I'm driving a 75D or 100D, if I drove 85 miles the time to recharge to whatever I set as my "usual" charging threshold will be the same. As for time at superchargers/destinations, the larger battery will reduce the perceived need to top off and will also extend the driving time between recharges. Overall, some situations will show a speedier outcome with a larger battery and some will show no benefit, but "slower" is going to be unusual.

OK, my final update:

1. Drove the Performance Model 3. Loved it. Nimble, small, agile, yet very comfortable. In the end, though, I prefer the dual displays and more control options of the Model S, plus the greater cargo/pax space. With slight pangs of regret, decided not to go the PM3 path.

2. Found a beautiful blue 2016 P100D Model S with 29K miles in Tesla used inventory for $88K, with my preferred configuration, which would almost be an even trade (assuming I sell my X privately). The only downside is this car has AP1 and I'd really like AP2. Still waiting to hear how much battery degradation the car has... I fully expect there to be some range loss and that's fine, but I want to make sure before buying that it doesn't turn out to be excessive.

3. If the sideways move to the car in #2 does not work out, I've decided just to wait a few months and wait for the interior refresh and possibly AP3, then get a new P100D Model S. Yesterday's pricing changes reduced my cost by $20K (I'd get Performance but not Ludicrous), making the new car much more attractive.

I'm grateful to all who have participated with their thoughts and advice. It's been helpful in making a good decision.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
OK, my final update:

1. Drove the Performance Model 3. Loved it. Nimble, small, agile, yet very comfortable. In the end, though, I prefer the dual displays and more control options of the Model S, plus the greater cargo/pax space. With slight pangs of regret, decided not to go the PM3 path.

2. Found a beautiful blue 2016 P100D Model S with 29K miles in Tesla used inventory for $88K, with my preferred configuration, which would almost be an even trade (assuming I sell my X privately). The only downside is this car has AP1 and I'd really like AP2. Still waiting to hear how much battery degradation the car has... I fully expect there to be some range loss and that's fine, but I want to make sure before buying that it doesn't turn out to be excessive.

3. If the sideways move to the car in #2 does not work out, I've decided just to wait a few months and wait for the interior refresh and possibly AP3, then get a new P100D Model S. Yesterday's pricing changes reduced my cost by $20K (I'd get Performance but not Ludicrous), making the new car much more attractive.

I'm grateful to all who have participated with their thoughts and advice. It's been helpful in making a good decision.

I agree with your thinking. I would not pay $88K for an AP1 car when I have seen a CPO P100D with AP 2 for right around $90K.

Sorry I am late to the discussion, but my sense is, unless you like the spartan look of the M3, you wont like the refresh, so buy sooner vs. later.

Don't forget there will be other premium EVs available to purchase this year and next...

As we have seen from Rivian, Lucid, and other manufacturers, it is possible to build a modern luxurious/premium car interior that is minimalist and beautiful without it being cold and Spartan.

I am in the same boat on determining when to buy an MS Rodolfo. This will be my first Tesla. With the price drops on the 100D this week and the hopeful release of AP3 hardware soon, I've decided to wait a couple months before pulling the trigger on a new MS or a used AP2 MS that should see a lot more depreciation very soon.