Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long should it take to be notified about updating firmware after it's pushed to the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does it take from the time a firmware update is pushed to the car before it shows up ready to be installed? I was at a service center this morning to get something fixed and they said they pushed the latest firmware but it would take a few hours before it showed up. It's been about 13 hours and still hasn't shown up to be installed, just wondering if that's normal. Thanks!

Should be right away. Your car still has to pick it up and download it though. Make sure you're on wifi.

I was under the impression that the software was put onto the car when it was at the service center, and all I had to do was give the OK to install it. I told the guy when I asked to push the update that I had shoddy wifi at home which was why I was hoping to have it done there, he said after they pushed it that I wouldn't need wifi to update it, just wouldn't be able to use the car while it was updating.

Sounds fishy, They either put the firmware on there and installed it, or they pushed it via server side which means your car still has to call home, download the update and prompt you to install...

Which version are you on now?

Sounds fishy, They either put the firmware on there and installed it, or they pushed it via server side which means your car still has to call home, download the update and prompt you to install...

Which version are you on now?

I'm on 42.4. I was under the impression that software was put onto the car and all I had to do was install it, but it sounds like they just pushed it for me to download at home, which kind of defeats the purpose of asking as I told him I have lousy wifi.

After a “push” the software immediately starts downloading. Then it verifies. Then you get the update prompt.

On MCU1, downloading can take around half an hour and verifying can take another half an hour to hour.

On MCU2 / Model 3, downloading can go as fast as 200mbit/s (a minute or two) depending on the quality of the network connection. Verifying seems to complete in 5 minutes or so.

(And yeah if anyone has doubts about how much faster MCU2 is, getting an update push is a pretty darn good example)

Isn’t the SC just issuing a command to the mothership? It may still take a while for the software to get to you. Now overnight is not normal. This sounds like they may have typo’d something. I would have expected it to be ready before you got home, for sure.

UPDATE: I called this morning and the guy said they were pushing it right away. About 20 minutes later I got an update on my app that it was ready to be installed, and it installed pretty quickly and painlessly. Now I'm on 46.2, which is still strange because isn't the latest 48.1? Either way, I'm happy it's done.

Reactions: JeffK
UPDATE: I called this morning and the guy said they were pushing it right away. About 20 minutes later I got an update on my app that it was ready to be installed, and it installed pretty quickly and painlessly. Now I'm on 46.2, which is still strange because isn't the latest 48.1? Either way, I'm happy it's done.
According to ev-fw.com most recent firmware in widespread release in 46.2. 48.1 has only been sent to relatively few cars. Tesla often tests minor releases on a small fraction of the fleet. Some may be specific for certain hardware, and not all go to widespread release.

I've managed to catch an update download in progress on my Google WiFi router at home and the update notification on my phone came just a minute or two after I noticed that my Model 3 had finished downloading a rather large update. Averaged around 35Mbps for the download if I remember correctly.

2018.48 went out to a few hundred vehicles, but a problem was found. They are now testing out 2018.48.1. If that one looks good, we might see that release go wider. Since we're on the 50th week of the year, I'm hoping that the new Christmas Easter Egg will arrive in 2018.50 or later.
What Easter eggs have you found other than the "HO HO HO" sled-blinker-jingle bells sounds?

Some releases are limited and you won’t get it in a push. .48 and .48.1 appear to be that way.

2018.48 went out to a few hundred vehicles, but a problem was found. They are now testing out 2018.48.1. If that one looks good, we might see that release go wider. Since we're on the 50th week of the year, I'm hoping that the new Christmas Easter Egg will arrive in 2018.50 or later.

Wait a minute - is the number after the year referring to the week it's released? You just blew my mind.

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Wait a minute - is the number after the year referring to the week it's released? You just blew my mind.

Not necessarily the week it was released, but when that particular build was finished. We're in week 50 of 2018 now but 2018.48.x only started rolling out earlier this week. I'm sure they do several days worth of testing (or at least I hope they do!) before they push a new version out.