Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to activate the "new autpoilot" on existing car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased the newer autopilot (without NOA) and had it successfully activated on an existing vehicle? How long did it take from order to activation?

I ordered on March 1st at the new $4,000 price. Other than a thank you message on the website I've received no notification or acknowledgement from Tesla. The charge has posted to my Credit Card and the option to buy autopilot is no longer available.

I called the 888 number and was told to go to my service center where they would push it to my car. Went to the service center, they were super nice. After confirming that I had actually paid for the feature they went off for a while and came back and said engineering elsewhere in the country has to do this work, its not something they can perform at the service center, they only can activate features on undelivered cars.

No contact info for engineering whomever they are. I was advised it could take a few weeks.

Hmmmm.

The new $4000 price? By rushing to buy before accounts have been updated, I think you overpaid by $2000, so now you will need to work on getting a credit.

As for your question, I doubt anyone has completed an order. I tried yesterday and was told to wait until accounts are updated, whenever that occurs. But it is ridiculous that you weren’t told about the overpayment when you called. Sometimes I think Tesla staff are the last to learn about pricing changes. They need a cheat sheet. The person I talked to yesterday in Fremont also thought the cost was $4000 until I insisted that he talk to two other staff. Only then did he acknowledge the $2000 price. Geez.

Last edited:
Well they got me confused as well. I thought the new price was $3,000 new and $4,000 after purchase.

The new $4000 price? By rushing to buy before accounts have been updated, I think you overpaid by $2000, so now you will need to work on getting a credit.

As for your question, I doubt anyone has completed an order. I tried yesterday and was told to wait until accounts are updated, whenever that occurs. But it is ridiculous that you weren’t told about the overpayment when you called. Sometimes I think Tesla staff are the last to learn about pricing changes. They need a cheat sheet. The person I talked to yesterday in Fremont also thought the cost was $4000 until I insisted that he talk to two other staff. Only then did he acknowledge the $2000 price. Geez.

Reactions: commasign
Actually, the "new" price doesn't occur until April 1st. I read the information as released by Tesla on March 1st and it said "next month" you would be able to get the new pricing. That would be April. I called Tesla support tonight and they confirmed the new price will be set April 1st but it seems some have posted they already got it. Confused, I will just wait until the autopilot upgrade pricing on my Tesla page shows the proper price before I press the buy button.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Just pulled up my account for my model 3 and it now reflects the 2k/3k pricing for autopilot and FSD. Clicking the FSD button (I don't have autopilot) clicks both buttons and proceed to checkout. It used my card on file and they debited it for $5,325 (including sales taxes). It now says the autopilot will be active in 3 days or less. It says it will not activate the change when charging or driving. Anyway, they changed the timing on this since my contact with them last night as BluestarE3 noted. The whole process took less than a minute.