Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to adapt to EV driving style?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@H2050 Have you ever driven a manual transmission ICE? If so, you know that when you take your foot off the accelerator the car starts to slow via engine braking.

Regenerative braking is the same idea/feel. So instead of over using your brake pedal like an automatic, you are able to slow down by lifting off the accelerator.

I've driven multiple MS and I find one foot driving to be natural since I drive manual everyday.

I have had the same experience. My daily driver is a manual. When I test drove a Model S, the regen was almost exactly like engine braking.

Anyone who knows how to drive a manual should find the transition easy. I don't think it took me any time to adapt.

FYI, I don't think anyone mentioned that there will be zero regen when the battery is filled to 100% (and reduced regen when the battery is cold during the winter). So just make sure that you don't charge above 90% most of the time. I switch back and forth between a 2011 Leaf with degraded battery (very little regen) and the 70D. Every time it's just a little bit different. You'll get used to it pretty quickly, but I did go out on an empty highway and practice switching on/off signals and cruise control since they are completely different from the Leaf.

I have a slight anxiety right now.

I just received my delivery date, happens in exactly 2 weeks at the Toronto airport, 1 hour Highway Commute.

I panic now because it will be my first time driving EV, not knowing how long to adapt to the regenerative braking style...

Will I get home safely?
Have you done a Model S or X test drive?
If not, & you’re not too terribly far from a Tesla SC or showroom, I suggest you schedule a test drive ASAP. It will surely alleviate your anxiety & rev up your anticipation!

b3iDL1u.png

I have a slight anxiety right now.

I just received my delivery date, happens in exactly 2 weeks at the Toronto airport, 1 hour Highway Commute.

I panic now because it will be my first time driving EV, not knowing how long to adapt to the regenerative braking style...

Will I get home safely?

I turned on autopilot a half mile from delivery and drove and hour home, in 2015.

Do you not enjoy new toys?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's no different than feeling out any other unfamiliar car. Just be careful about flooring the gas when someone is in front of you. :)

The hard part is driving an ICE after driving the Tesla for a couple months. You will do all of these things when reverting to an ICE:
  • Leave the car running when you park
  • Leave the keys in the car when you get out of the car
  • Leave the car in drive when you should have put it in park.
  • Wondering why the car keeps going when you let off the gas.
  • Wondering what all the noise is about.

This is my first EV; I never did a test drive and had only driven automatics. Obviously, I figured out how to drive it safely by the time I was out of the delivery center parking lot, but making it feel like a smooth ride took a couple of weeks. Every once in a while I still instinctively lift off the accelerator pedal thinking I'm going to coast, then the regen takes hold and reminds me. After 1,500 miles, it still hasn't fully become second nature yet and I still think about the actions of driving more than I did in my old car.

The hardest thing to master isn’t the braking, but rather, the accelerating. Resisting the urge to floor it every chance I get to feel the rush is particularly challenging, especially when overtaking on the highway or going up winding hills. Also If you have a steep driveway leading into your garage you need to be extra careful that you don’t floor it too hard and go flying through your garage but also using hold and feathering the accelerator to keep you from rolling backwards.

Reactions: jamnmon66