Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to adapt to EV driving style?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a slight anxiety right now.

I just received my delivery date, happens in exactly 2 weeks at the Toronto airport, 1 hour Highway Commute.

I panic now because it will be my first time driving EV, not knowing how long to adapt to the regenerative braking style...

Will I get home safely?

There's no reason anything unsafe should happen from the regenerative braking. At worst, you'll stop short of wherever you intended to and might feel a little embarrassed. It took me two stoplights to get used to the idea. I felt a little dumb with the lady that came with me on my test drive pulling up to the first light, but quickly figured I probably wasn't the first one who made that mistake. Of course, perfecting it will take longer than just a few stoplights, but you'll likely get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Just remember that it's not all or nothing and that you can modulate the throttle pedal to get the amount of regen you want. I agree with the others who recommended starting with low until you get used to it.

I just received my delivery date, happens in exactly 2 weeks at the Toronto airport, 1 hour Highway Commute.

I panic now because it will be my first time driving EV, not knowing how long to adapt to the regenerative braking style...

Will I get home safely?
I got used to regen by the third stop sign. No need for anxiety. The only scary thing about regen, for me, is when I have to drive DW's Lexus which free-wheels when one backs off the accelerator. The lack of regen feels to me like spontaneous acceleration, since I am now so accustomed to regen and one-pedal driving.

@H2050 - You'll be fine, don't worry. I loaned my Roadster out to people in the past & now my X, with the instructions of 'everything is the same as any other car you've driven, just expect to feel it slow down as you let off the accelerator. And have fun!'.

And they all did / do - and not one has ever had problems because of regen. But most did say they were glad I told them about it. :)

And they all came back with a grin on their face.

Enjoy your new car!

Will I get home safely?
You should refuse delivery. These cars burst into flame and kill their occupants. No wonder you panic now.

Depending on your style, its really easy. It does seem to scare people behind you i found out. Everytime you let off the pedal, the brake lights come on. That really has cut down on tailgators. I never ease off pedal so i get max regen instantly. I coast up to lites. People who drives adapt instantly and like it.
You will love the car.

Reactions: H2050
The regen isn't strong enough to be dangerous. I've let many people test drive my car, and universally, everyone will let go of the accelerator abruptly, thinking they will coast, even when I tell them in advance that regen is a thing. As the passenger, I consider the regen braking force from that mild.

I think all-in-all, you're going to realize that the accelerator pedal is sofa king amazing, both in how much control you have on the acceleration side, as well as the control you have on the regen side. It really feels like the future.

@H2050 Have you ever driven a manual transmission ICE? If so, you know that when you take your foot off the accelerator the car starts to slow via engine braking.

Regenerative braking is the same idea/feel. So instead of over using your brake pedal like an automatic, you are able to slow down by lifting off the accelerator.

I've driven multiple MS and I find one foot driving to be natural since I drive manual everyday.

My advice, the first thing you will notice is the single foot deceleration with standard regen, takes a few days to get used to.

The next will be the quick responsiveness of the steering and handling, maybe a week or two to familiarise yourself with. Getting to know the size and dimensions of your car also take a little while, especially when backing into stalls to charge.

Afterwards, becoming comfortable with TACC takes a month or two to relax enough to trust it isn't going to carreen into every object in front of it.

The final piece is being self aware enough with the Autosteering to know when to allow it it steer and when not to. Never ever become complacent thinking you can do anything else while this is enabled, YOU are responsible at all times for your safety and for the safety of those around you. keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. This may take upwards of a year to really master.

You might also find this thread helpful. Coming from an armchair pilots perspective this was enlightening and informative.
A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Seriously, days, weeks? What are you guys talking about? It's like 15 minutes of slowing down to quickly and after an hour you get used to it and forget anythings different. It's just getting used to the accelerator pedal modulation, that's it. Tesla is still a CAR, not a spaceship.

Seriously, days, weeks? What are you guys talking about? It's like 15 minutes of slowing down to quickly and after an hour you get used to it and forget anythings different. It's just getting used to the accelerator pedal modulation, that's it. Tesla is still a CAR, not a spaceship.
That's why the driver like in highway 101 in Mountainview failed to recognize the hazards, even after driving it for four months. No, it's not a spaceship, but it can still kill you if misused. RTFM and understand how the vehicle works first, do not just jump behind the wheel and think you know all I how to operate it. That's why people are administered a drivers test and issued a drivers licence before they are allow to operated these large machines.