Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to be able to schedule after permits received?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
City of Denver approved the building log and electrical permit for my solar + powerwall installation yesterday and I got the text.about "this brings us one step closer to installation day". When should I see the option to schedule?

Do you have an advisor assigned to you that you can call or email? This is the best way to both answer your question and also to push to have the work done sooner (particularly if you are seeking to claim the 26% federal credit this year before it drops.) It seems like the time from permit to install can vary for a number of reasons, from parts availability (PWs, in particular, are scarce) to installer availability to luck and persistence (sometimes it seems Tesla loses track of orders, and also sometimes a well-timed call and good advisor might catch a cancellation/re-schedule elsewhere and get you scheduled very quickly.)

Reactions: willow_hiller
It shouldn’t be very long. In a lot of cases the permit is the last step before the install can be scheduled, but some utilities also need to pre-approve the system before the install can start.

@MorrisonHiker is somewhere in CO, so he may be able to speak more to his experience there.
Hmm, it's been a couple years and I don't remember all the steps. We never "saw the option to schedule" but instead got a call from Tesla telling us when they would be coming out.

For all three installations (original solar + Powerwalls, 4th Powerwall and then adding more solar), Tesla showed up right on schedule and did a great job with installation. For our first solar system, our utility, Xcel, took the maximum time possible to approve our system. I forget if it was 42 days or 56 days, but they waited until 15 minutes before the deadline on the last day and showed up at 4:45 pm to finally install the meter. The good news is that we didn't have a meter on the house for ~two months. The bad news is that we weren't able to export solar for ~two months!

Funny, right after I posted this, Xcel knocked on my door. They are currently installing a new transformer, new power poles and upgrading the line to our house. The guy at the door mentioned he was the one who reconnected us to the grid two years ago!

Do you have an advisor assigned to you that you can call or email? This is the best way to both answer your question and also to push to have the work done sooner (particularly if you are seeking to claim the 26% federal credit this year before it drops.) It seems like the time from permit to install can vary for a number of reasons, from parts availability (PWs, in particular, are scarce) to installer availability to luck and persistence (sometimes it seems Tesla loses track of orders, and also sometimes a well-timed call and good advisor might catch a cancellation/re-schedule elsewhere and get you scheduled very quickly.)

No advisors assigned to me at all from what I can see.

For me, Permits issued on Friday Oct 16, received notice to schedule install on following Tuesday Oct 27. First available install was next morning Oct 28 which was too quick so install was on Friday Oct 30. Everything moved quickly after receiving permits and since I already had solar, I did not need to wait for PTO. System went live Friday night Oct 30.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
My permit was approved weeks ago and have been in a holding pattern waiting for PG&E to approve my solar for over two weeks. It's a tiny portion of my load so I am not sure what the delay is. So Tesla is telling me they are stuck with the process until that happens. All the design work and on site inspection has taken place too. :-(

It took about 4 weeks after permits were on the city's website for them to let us schedule. Then about 3.5 months to start construction. We started just about this time of year last year and construction started March 2, 2020. This was SolarRoof + PWs.

Called today and apparently there system thought I needed to sign something, blah blah, but now I guess it's "in queue" to have an application submitted to Xcel.

Still no advisor assigned. The two way communication on this is pretty poor on Tesla's side.