TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

How long to 'build'?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Right_Said_Fred, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

May 11, 2012
    Gorinchem, Netherlands
    This week the status of quite some European cars (mostly Signatures) has changed from 'Your order was sent to the Tesla factory' to 'The Tesla factory is building your car'. This is quite remarkable as Elon Musk recently said (in Norway) that European production would not start until June. Could we be in for a pleasant surprise or is this status change meaningless? What are the experiences in North America with this status change? Does it mean the start of a building process that can take many months? Or does it mean cars come into existence in mere days or weeks? How long did it take on average from the status change to an actual VIN-number?

(I am aware that for the European cars we will have to add extra time for transport and for EU-cars extra time for final assembly in the Tesla-facility in The Netherlands).
  2. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Greendale, Wisconsin
    Doesn't mean too much. My account has said "Factory is building your model s" for over a month now. I still have approx a month to go until delivery. I think it means the order has just been finally sent to factory.