Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to charge at an 8kW Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be traveling to WV and could go to Canaan Valley State Park to charge. They have superchargers that are rated at 8kW. I have never heard of such slow charging. Would this be like charging on a level 2 or slower, like a 120v household connection?

We are going to a festival at a campground. All of the spots are sold out. The owner said I could plug in at the location, but last year, they completely forgot they mentioned this, so I don't feel like I can rely on this.

So, any idea what charging at 8kW would be like? I'm estimating like 6 hours.

8kW charging would be Level 2, not Supercharging. Probably 240V and 32A for 7680W, so rounds up to 8kW but for planning purposes assume 7kW and ~25 to 29 miles of range added per hour while charging. 8 hours charging would add ~200 miles of driving range.

Don't forget to bring your Tesla SAE J1772 adapter as you will need it to plug in at this location.

This is what it has on the Tesla site for Canaan Valley Resort State Park:
Charging
3 Tesla Connectors, up to 8kW.

Plugshare has it listed as a destination charger. It would take us 36 miles round trip to get there, so this would not be a great solution. Here's a picture of it:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-091702_PlugShare.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-091702_PlugShare.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 403
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Rocky_H
Charging

Plugshare has it listed as a destination charger.
If it is a Tesla destination charger then it is Level 2. Probably Gen1 or Gen2 Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC). These are older generations of the Tesla Level 2 Gen3 Wall Connector. If there are three HPWC they may be sharing a single charging circuit so your charging rate would be reduced to half or one third if all three HPWC are in use at the same time.

I found a posting from a Chevy Bolt owner stating that they were able to charge there. The park has one charging station with a J1772 charging connector in addition to the three Tesla Destination Chargers.

Last edited:
Well, guess we will be taking a Prius with us! Thank you for the input. If we stayed there, it could work, but they don't take pets, so we are staying at an Airbnb in Elkins, WV, for the week.
The things you learn -

Tesla, WV is an unincorporated community in Braxton County, West Virginia, United States. Tesla is 4.5 miles south of Sutton. The community might be named after Nikola Tesla, an electrical engineer and inventor. Located near Tesla is the Windy Run Grade School, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

(This community comes up in the search results when you search for Tesla near Elkins, WV)

Well, guess we will be taking a Prius with us! Thank you for the input. If we stayed there, it could work, but they don't take pets, so we are staying at an Airbnb in Elkins, WV, for the week.
If you are in Elkins, WV the closest SC is at a Sheetz located in Weston, WV (about 40 minutes drive from Elkins.)

Perhaps you can plug in at the AirbnB using the Mobile Connector (slow charging at 120V/12A but gets it done.)

Reactions: Physicslawyer
We drive through W Va often with our Model 3. There are plenty of SuperChargers along the interstates. And many B&B’s or hotels have a 120v plug that allows us to travel there without issue.

Perhaps you can plug in at the AirbnB using the Mobile Connector (slow charging at 120V/12A but gets it done.)

And many B&B’s or hotels have a 120v plug that allows us to travel there without issue.

I wish many people would first try the 120v plug so they get a baseline of the lowest charge rate. It can be very simple, and if time is not a constraint will allow decent travel with little effort. Get's one around town, and then back to the supercharger network. Sometimes the need for faster charging may not always be there.

I often stay in ski towns and drive up to the mountain. Just enough juice to make it up, and then coast home and charge at a VRBO/AirBNB while enjoying the town via foot.

I think the question is how much charging do you think you will need to do? If there are three of them even with three vehicles connected you should get 16amp. It will be slow if you need to wait with the car. The campground would be ideal as you could plug in with your mobile charger and should be able to pull up to 32 amps. If you have to wait with the car and you need a lot of range then destination chargers are not a good option. Those chargers are good when you need to replace a small amount of range and your there doing other things like eating, shopping, sleeping etc.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Charging

Plugshare has it listed as a destination charger. It would take us 36 miles round trip to get there, so this would not be a great solution. Here's a picture of it:
Tesla Connector does not mean supercharger (DC fast charger), or destination charger (AC Level 2), it just means a proprietary Tesla specific plug. You know the difference between them based on charging speed, or if they are designated one or the other on PlugShare (or both) As you posted yourself, PlugShare lists it as a destination charger, and shows the charging speed.

Keith

I wish many people would first try the 120v plug so they get a baseline of the lowest charge rate. It can be very simple, and if time is not a constraint will allow decent travel with little effort. Get's one around town, and then back to the supercharger network. Sometimes the need for faster charging may not always be there.

I often stay in ski towns and drive up to the mountain. Just enough juice to make it up, and then coast home and charge at a VRBO/AirBNB while enjoying the town via foot.

From my experiance car camping, you can get about 1/3 of a full charge per day on a 120V 12 amp plug, so if the OP is staying at the airBNB for a few days he can leave with a full charge. Even if you are driving around town to see the local sites, and only charge at night you can at least "break even" on state of charge and more likely gain a bit... no need to seek out a place to stay with L2 unless you are only staying over night somewhere that is half way between the nearest superchargers.

Keith

Well, 8 kW * 6 hours is kinda sorta like, ya know, 48 kWh

Mr Physicslawyer
I teach physics, am a lawyer, and am not male.

We can't charge at the Airbnb, unfortunately. As so as I even mentioned a Tesla to some places, they refused to rent to me....

I can calculate the time based on the battery, but charging time varies so wildly with this car. It can take 20 minutes to charge 10% or 5 minutes, since the rates vary so much on a Supercharger. I wasn't sure if this would also happen with an 8kW charger.

Last edited:
I teach physics, am a lawyer, and am not male.

We can't charge at the Airbnb, unfortunately. As so as I even mentioned a Tesla to some places, they refused to rent to me....

I can calculate the time based on the battery, but charging time varies so wildly with this car. It can take 20 minutes to charge 10% or 5 minutes, since the rates vary so much on a Supercharger. I wasn't sure if this would also happen with an 8kW charger.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a garage that didn't have a 120V outlet in it. Of course, if the place doesn't even have a garage, then you'd have to run the extension cord out the door but it's still do-able as long as you can park close enough. Bring an extension cord, ideally a 12 gauge NEMA 5-15 cord that's at least 50 feet long. If the laundry room is close enough to the garage, or has a door you can drive near, you might be able to charge at around 20 mph with the UMC and the NEMA 10-30 or NEMA 14-30 adapter.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a garage that didn't have a 120V outlet in it. Of course, if the place doesn't even have a garage, then you'd have to run the extension cord out the door but it's still do-able as long as you can park close enough. Bring an extension cord, ideally a 12 gauge NEMA 5-15 cord that's at least 50 feet long. If the laundry room is close enough to the garage, or has a door you can drive near, you might be able to charge at around 20 mph with the UMC and the NEMA 10-30 or NEMA 14-30 adapter.
The Airbnb is on a narrow street, with no off- street parking. You need to park on the curb. I would leave the Tesla at the campground (which who knows if that would be wise, since the spot would be in the "vendor" area).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
That area is a desert for public EV charging. There is the Gillum House Bed and Breakfast located in Shinnston, WV. This B&B has (2) Tesla 16kW destination chargers available for guests.

Also, there is the Stonewall Resort in Roanoke, WV. Stonewall Resort offers accommodations for pets and has (2) Tesla destination chargers.

West Virginia Resort | Stonewall Resort

Last edited: