Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get $1,000 deposit back from request?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. Just wondering how long it took those of you that requested your initial $1,000 reservation deposit to get it back? It's been over a month for me, and I've gotten no communication from Tesla on when it might be processed. I recently purchased a new house, and simply don't have the funds for a new car right now. Thanks.

I sent three written requests to Tesla over the past month for a full refund on my 3, which totals $6,000 ($1k reservation on 3/31/16, plus $2,500 order payment on 10/21/18, plus a 2nd erroneous $2,500 charge by Tesla to my VISA :mad:). I had previously called and got sick of waiting (twice) and hung up. Finally I called again last night until I got a living human being and explained how I'd like my 3 refund, but hadn't received or heard anything. The nice guy on the phone said he saw my 3 emails in my MyTesla account, and he said he was surprised no one had contacted me in any way! So he then sent me an email for me to formally reply to, again asking - for the 4th time - for my interest-free loan-to-Tesla back. I was not so happy to hear it would take 30-60 BUSINESS days from my 4th request YESTERDAY!!! o_O I gave them my fully-refundable Model 3 deposit almost 1,000 days ago! Tesla is lucky they make such cool cars; otherwise they'd never survive based on their current lack of Quality Control and poor Customer Service. Fix those two areas and they're golden. Ignore those two areas at their own peril. :(

I sent three written requests to Tesla over the past month for a full refund on my 3, which totals $6,000 ($1k reservation on 3/31/16, plus $2,500 order payment on 10/21/18, plus a 2nd erroneous $2,500 charge by Tesla to my VISA :mad:). I had previously called and got sick of waiting (twice) and hung up. Finally I called again last night until I got a living human being and explained how I'd like my 3 refund, but hadn't received or heard anything. The nice guy on the phone said he saw my 3 emails in my MyTesla account, and he said he was surprised no one had contacted me in any way! So he then sent me an email for me to formally reply to, again asking - for the 4th time - for my interest-free loan-to-Tesla back. I was not so happy to hear it would take 30-60 BUSINESS days from my 4th request YESTERDAY!!! o_O I gave them my fully-refundable Model 3 deposit almost 1,000 days ago! Tesla is lucky they make such cool cars; otherwise they'd never survive based on their current lack of Quality Control and poor Customer Service. Fix those two areas and they're golden. Ignore those two areas at their own peril. :(

If the second $2500 charge was to your Visa and a mistake why didn't you dispute that with the credit card company? (ditto the first 10/21 charge for that matter if it was to a card and you've cancelled in a way that is refundable)

That generally gets the attention of whatever company the charge-back is initiated against.

It depends a lot. They dawdled on mine for some 3 months, but during that time my card got hacked and replaced, so the charge back info didn't work anymore. I finally checked my account and instead of saying my refund was pending, it said my reservation was ready to order! So I requested the refund again, and this time it was actually refunded within a day.

If the second $2500 charge was to your Visa and a mistake why didn't you dispute that with the credit card company? (ditto the first 10/21 charge for that matter if it was to a card and you've cancelled in a way that is refundable)

That generally gets the attention of whatever company the charge-back is initiated against.
I did dispute it, but that still takes time for my VISA company to verify with Tesla. In the meantime, I had to pay that $5,000 because I don't carry a balance and didn't want to be charged interest (since I only noticed Tesla's double-charge on the day I opened my VISA statement to make the full monthly payment. So I'll get it back, but it's all a matter of time (I had to speak with three different people/departments within my own VISA company just to accomplish the dispute, plus send paperwork.). I also had to call Tesla (three times) and wait on hold for over an hour (in total for my three attempts) to find out how to officially cancel my 3. Tesla rep said to simply hit my "Cancel my order" button on MyTesla. I had to inform him that no such button exists (I even tried this on my iPhone, iPad, MacAir, and a PC...all the same issue with no such button) under "Manage my 3" :mad: I do, however, have a "Cancel my order" button on the same MyTesla page under "Manage my PW2"...but I don't want to cancel that order (even after waiting a couple years for said unicorn) :rolleyes:

Hi All. Just wondering how long it took those of you that requested your initial $1,000 reservation deposit to get it back? It's been over a month for me, and I've gotten no communication from Tesla on when it might be processed. I recently purchased a new house, and simply don't have the funds for a new car right now. Thanks.
Mine was refunded to my visa within 48 hrs! I changed my mind and re deposited a month later. Got my 3 Oct 29th. So happy I did.

I did dispute it, but that still takes time for my VISA company to verify with Tesla. In the meantime, I had to pay that $5,000 because I don't carry a balance and didn't want to be charged interest

I am beginning to doubt the sincerity of your claim.

Since every CC I've ever had, and from a lot of different banks, the moment you dispute a charge, no longer requires or expects you to pay that amount, nor do they count it as a carried balance or charge interest on it.

(since I only noticed Tesla's double-charge on the day I opened my VISA statement to make the full monthly payment. So I'll get it back, but it's all a matter of time (I had to speak with three different people/departments within my own VISA company just to accomplish the dispute, plus send paperwork.).

...or possibly you just have a really really crap card with terrible support?

All mine you file a dispute online, once, no human contact needed, and it takes like 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

• Disagree
Reactions: 2012MS85
I am beginning to doubt the sincerity of your claim.

Since every CC I've ever had, and from a lot of different banks, the moment you dispute a charge, no longer requires or expects you to pay that amount, nor do they count it as a carried balance or charge interest on it.

...or possibly you just have a really really crap card with terrible support?

All mine you file a dispute online, once, no human contact needed, and it takes like 30 seconds.
@Knightshade I'm starting to think you're a troll who lives in your mom's basement and could use an uber job to better fill your free time ;) My VISA is from my credit union, which was call #1. They said I had to call the underwriting bank's 800# on the back of my VISA, which was call #2. That customer service rep then gave me their Disputes Dept on yet a different 877#...which totals the three calls I referenced and you choose not to believe. Whatever. I don't use online banking because I don't like dealing with the potential security fraud/breaches that does happen. So yes, I could do it all online in one easy step like you do, but choose not to. And there were a few days difference between my first call to my credit union when I had a verbal transfer to pay my statement in full versus when I made the dispute calls (#2 and 3) to the "big bank" who underwrites my VISA because sometimes I get busy with life, work, holidays, and travel. Glad your life runs much smoother than mine :rolleyes:

@Knightshade I'm starting to think you're a troll who lives in your mom's basement and could use an uber job to better fill your free time ;)

Yes, personal attacks will certainly help your credibility...

I'm starting to see why nobody seems to want to really help you when you call em :)

My VISA is from my credit union, which was call #1. They said I had to call the underwriting bank's 800# on the back of my VISA, which was call #2. That customer service rep then gave me their Disputes Dept on yet a different 877#...which totals the three calls I referenced and you choose not to believe. Whatever. I don't use online banking because I don't like dealing with the potential security fraud/breaches that does happen. So yes, I could do it all online in one easy step like you do, but choose not to.

So you made it way harder than need be because you're irrationally fearing something for which you have 0 liability under law (credit card fraud). Gotcha.

Not sure why you blame Tesla for that though.

sometimes I get busy with life, work, holidays, and travel.

Sounds like you'd really benefit from using online banking which saves a ton of that time you're so short on.

Also from getting non-CU credit cards that offer tremendous travel benefits as well as much easier customer service (even sticking to Get-Off-My-Lawn phone banking a disputed charge would still only be 1 call, not 3, and you'd instantly not be responsible for the charge, no worries about interest or carrying a balance).

You would have had more fun with a Tesla than the new house.

• Love
Reactions: 2012MS85
So you made it way harder than need be because you're irrationally fearing something for which you have 0 liability under law (credit card fraud). Gotcha.

Not sure why you blame Tesla for that though.
So I've already had all my personal info stolen (it's called identity theft, and it's common with data breaches) when a big bank had millions of accounts breached. Same type of personal info has been breached from lots of big companies/organizations (Facebook, OPM, etc). So my "irrational fear" has nothing to do with my "liability"; it has everything to do with wasting endless hours dealing with my info being stolen, then sold, then used by dirtbags to buy crap that's charged to me. Yes, I know I have $0 liability by law, but the law doesn't stop identity theft from occurring, which then has follow-on issues. And yes, I also already pay for a third-party service (LifeLock) to track any future misuse of my data and identity.

I didn't blame Tesla for anything other than the double-charge of my $2,500 order payment. And then when I called and waited on hold for a very long time, the Tesla employee could only admit that they had received my previous email to Customer Support about the double-charge, and he was quite surprised that no one from Tesla ever contacted me to do something about it. Then he said it would take 30-60 business days to correct and refund from their end. So that's when I then disputed the charge on my end with my VISA. I also didn't want to initiate the dispute first and have Tesla think I was canceling my order on my 3 (since they only sent me confirmation for one $2,500 order payment). Anyway, let's please call a truce and be done hijacking this guy's thread, as he simply wanted feedback of real-life stories of what to expect in getting his $1k back. I had a real-life, relevant anecdote to share with him (i.e., Tesla told me I may have to wait 30-60 business days...for all portions of my $6k paid to Tesla via reservation deposit and two order payments). Perhaps I didn't need to give all the details of my story, but I figured it might apply to others (as I don't think I'm the only Tesla customer who has ever been double-charged.). I certainly didn't mean to waste everyone's time having a dispute over this nonsense. End of story :)

So I've already had all my personal info stolen (it's called identity theft, and it's common with data breaches) when a big bank had millions of accounts breached. Same type of personal info has been breached from lots of big companies/organizations (Facebook, OPM, etc). So my "irrational fear" has nothing to do with my "liability"; it has everything to do with wasting endless hours dealing with my info being stolen, then sold, then used by dirtbags to buy crap that's charged to me.

But if your bank is hacked they'd already have all your info.

you might be too afraid to use a computer, but your bank isn't.

And if you have credit at all then the credit bureaus have all your info electronically stored too.

So does virtually every company you still write antique paper checks out to.

Not to mention- if you did all this online you'd never have to waste "endless hours" dealing with it. It'd take 30 seconds to report fraud on a card, and you're done.

Ironically, a common cause of ID theft is folks not doing online banking.

Since they're still back in the last century getting paper statements and such it's common for their info to be stolen that way (and on the back end when they toss out that paperwork)

And one of the best ways to prevent ID theft is a credit freeze... which is quick and easy to do online... (and, much like banking, a lot more of a pain to do the old fashioned way).

Yes, I know I have $0 liability by law, but the law doesn't stop identity theft from occurring, which then has follow-on issues. And yes, I also already pay for a third-party service (LifeLock) to track any future misuse of my data and identity.

*rotfl*

I've also got a cool bridge to sell you. Cheap.

First- you won't give your electronic info to your bank, but you gave it to lifelock? Bad news!

LifeLock Security Bug Puts Millions of Customer Emails at Risk

Experian said:
LifeLock customers may be at risk for phishing attacks, thanks to a bug on one of the firm's marketing pages that could have exposed customers' emails.

But apart from that irony... as Consumer Reports points out you get arguably more benefit than paying LL by just doing a credit freeze. Which is often free.

Is LifeLock Worth the Cost?

All LL does is "watch" your ID and let you know when someone engaged in fraud.

Which you'd have found out free just by paying attention- or likely avoided entirely with credit freezes.

In fact LL had to pay a $100 million fine to the FTC for overselling what they really did

And that wasn't the first time they've been in trouble with the FTC for conning people afraid to use online services like yourself-
No Longer Trust LifeLock? What's a Consumer to Do?

I didn't blame Tesla for anything other than the double-charge of my $2,500 order payment. And then when I called and waited on hold for a very long time, the Tesla employee could only admit that they had received my previous email to Customer Support about the double-charge, and he was quite surprised that no one from Tesla ever contacted me to do something about it. Then he said it would take 30-60 business days to correct and refund from their end. So that's when I then disputed the charge on my end with my VISA. I also didn't want to initiate the dispute first and have Tesla think I was canceling my order on my 3 (since they only sent me confirmation for one $2,500 order payment). Anyway, let's please call a truce and be done hijacking this guy's thread, as he simply wanted feedback of real-life stories of what to expect in getting his $1k back. I had a real-life, relevant anecdote to share with him (i.e., Tesla told me I may have to wait 30-60 business days...for all portions of my $6k paid to Tesla via reservation deposit and two order payments). Perhaps I didn't need to give all the details of my story, but I figured it might apply to others (as I don't think I'm the only Tesla customer who has ever been double-charged.). I certainly didn't mean to waste everyone's time having a dispute over this nonsense. End of story :)

Fair enough.... that said, it's your money and time, but I'd suggest you stop wasting it on lifelock, move into the electronic banking era so you don't need 3 calls and paperwork to dispute a charge, and throw freezes on your credit reports if you're concerned about ID theft... (it takes like 2 minutes to temporarily lift them if needed to open new credit and offers a ton more preventative protection than LL does)