Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get a Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm putting up an outdoor receptacle for a NEMA 14-50 outlet to potentially be changed to a wall connector in the future.
If I buy a wall connector now instead, how long would it take for me to get it? Are they back ordered? Is there somewhere I can call before I put the order through to see if they are available?

If it will arrive in the next week, I'm all for getting the Wall Connector. If it's back ordered 2-3 months, I'll probably wait until I have another job for the electrician and just have him do the NEMA 14-50 outlet for now.

Looks like they are currently in stock.

There doesn't appear to be a way to change shipping options for overnight or anything like that but when I've ordered parts from Tesla in the past I believe it's all arrived within a week.

I will say that I never considered that a NEMA 14-50 outlet needs to be in a weatherproof box for outdoor installation, and that it has to be a particularly large box so that the box can be opened and the plug sit in it without damaging the box itself. 🤦‍♂️

In retrospect it makes sense. Just wish I thought of it a couple weeks ago and had the Wall Connector ready for the electrician now.

I will say that I never considered that a NEMA 14-50 outlet needs to be in a weatherproof box for outdoor installation, and that it has to be a particularly large box so that the box can be opened and the plug sit in it without damaging the box itself. 🤦‍♂️

In retrospect it makes sense. Just wish I thought of it a couple weeks ago and had the Wall Connector ready for the electrician now.

Yes, it would be like an RV pedestal. Not the most attractive thing to have at your residence :)

I've been charging for nearly a dozen years on my 14-50 outlet. I charge at night, and my car is always full every morning. I have never felt a need of or seen a reason for installing or using a "wall charger", blowing an unnecessary few hundred bucks when my $20 outlet does the job.

This is why rich people are rich. They don't buy useless junk, and what they buy does the job. They don't live ostentatiously, but often their children do. My outlet not only charges my car but also runs several 220-volt appliances if I need them. It doesn't need to be weatherproofed, either, although people seem to need the assurance that it won't shock them when it's wet. My outlet is in my garage, but my daughter's is on the outside of the garage wall, where she parks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I've been charging for nearly a dozen years on my 14-50 outlet. I charge at night, and my car is always full every morning. I have never felt a need of or seen a reason for installing or using a "wall charger", blowing an unnecessary few hundred bucks when my $20 outlet does the job.

This is why rich people are rich. They don't buy useless junk, and what they buy does the job. They don't live ostentatiously, but often their children do. My outlet not only charges my car but also runs several 220-volt appliances if I need them. It doesn't need to be weatherproofed, either, although people seem to need the assurance that it won't shock them when it's wet. My outlet is in my garage, but my daughter's is on the outside of the garage wall, where she parks.
The problem isn't the 14-50 outlet. I have one of those in my garage and using it to charge since 2014.

The problem is a 14-50 outlet outside. Those need to be protected from the weather, requiring a fairly large box around it. Simpler to just get the Wall Connector.

My outlet not only charges my car but also runs several 220-volt appliances if I need them.
...and there's your problem. 14-50 outlets aren't designed to have stuff plugged into them and removed all the time. Eventually, the connectors will wear down, overheat, and melt. And you'll have to replace not only the outlet, but the plug on your EVSE. If you're extremely unlucky, you'll be dealing with a house fire, and you'll have to replace everything that was destroyed. All over being too cheap to install either a dedicated 14-50 outlet or a wall connector.

Reactions: kayak1
Blasting off in a penis rocket to space and trying buy Twitter is what the two richest people on earth are currently doing. Really, rich people don't buy junk and don't live ostentatiously??

How many outlets/appliances do you have connected to one 50 amp circuit? Rich people definitely don't risk burning down their house because they're too cheap to install the correct number of circuits for their needs.