Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get registration card - California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly, its not so clear to us all. Seems to be a bit of a maze of regulations, experiences and timescales for people etc. Thanks for sharing, I learn a bit more from you all about this every time someone adds a bit more. Feds and State do a poor job of communicating everything needed to know in one location. The DMV website is not overly helpful either. I have to wait for the PG&E rebate till I get the actual card - but Im about 30 days now so will just post off my diamond lane stickers application - thats not dependent on the registration card. Sadly I dont qualify for the rebate, just the 1800 tax thing. Some unplugged performance parts on my way with that I think.. or its towards a wrap and window tint as its a bit warm in the sun in that mobile greenhouse! Thanks to you all

The clean air $2,500 rebate from the state of Cali does not require your permanent registration. You can just submit the purchase agreement/loan documentation. I was able to submit this application the day after I took delivery and all the documents were posted on my Tesla.com account.

My electricity provider (Southern California Edison) offers a 1,000 rebate which requires permanent registration I had to wait.

The HOV decal, also, requires permanent registration because form requires license plate number. As others have mentioned, if you're not in a hurry to get it. Wait till next year to register so you can have 4 full years. Apply Jan/2020.

I wont get the CA rebate because I make more than 0.5c or whatever bar the program looked to restrict the incentivisation to.. Pretty sure average salaries are pretty high in CA and Im not alone in experiencing the Bay Area salary weighting, which sounds great except its a bloody fortune to live here..

Edited to say, the CA rebate is predicated on a Federal (see the problem here, who designed this program, Stevie Fn Wonder?) poverty guideline of 37,470 or something. Hilariously this is considered 300% of the poverty guideline. I would just like to point out, that it is not possible to buy ANY car on the true federal guideline, tax it, insure it, repair it, fuel it. Insanity.

Also, I dont get the standard amount either, which makes me sound rich, except I live in the Bay Area.
Where a six-figure salary is 'low income'

Last edited:
Reactions: Electrph
I took delivery on 9/25 & still waiting for my plates & registration. I have already applied for my CA rebate & PG&E ($800) rebate. Everything's been approved just waiting on payment. I believe the CA website said it could be up to 90 days for rebate. The only thing I have to wait on is the HOV sticker, you need you actual plate number for that.

I believe the temporary registration is valid for the $2500 CA rebate, but the $800 PG&E rebate would require the official one. Did you use the temporary docs for that $800 rebate as well?

I wont get the CA rebate because I make more than 0.5c or whatever bar the program looked to restrict the incentivisation to.. Pretty sure average salaries are pretty high in CA and Im not alone in experiencing the Bay Area salary weighting, which sounds great except its a bloody fortune to live here..

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like single? Joint would make it easier to qualify. But, hey, if your household income goes over the joint limit - that's actually not a bad thing right? I'd prefer going over that limit to qualifying for the rebate. :p

Edited to say, the CA rebate is predicated on a Federal (see the problem here, who designed this program, Stevie Fn Wonder?) poverty guideline of 37,470 or something. Hilariously this is considered 300% of the poverty guideline. I would just like to point out, that it is not possible to buy ANY car on the true federal guideline, tax it, insure it, repair it, fuel it. Insanity.

Also, I dont get the standard amount either, which makes me sound rich, except I live in the Bay Area.
While I echo your sentiments, the poverty-guideline-based caps are unique to the increased rebate amount (i.e. $4,500 instead of $2,500).

The caps for the base $2,500 rebate are $150/204/300k for single/HOH/joint filers respectively.

While I echo your sentiments, the poverty-guideline-based caps are unique to the increased rebate amount (i.e. $4,500 instead of $2,500).

The caps for the base $2,500 rebate are $150/204/300k for single/HOH/joint filers respectively.

Yeah, but at least you can get the decal at any income bracket. I've always wondered if the decals come off when you're done with them, though.

I also disagree with the spirit of not allowing people with “higher” incomes to claim the basic CA rebate. Whether one earns 75 a year or 175 a year the car makes same amount of emissions. Is the point not to encourage people to buy a zero emissions vehicle?

Forgot to add received reg plates / card / today 10/23 , purchased 9/19

Last edited:
Reactions: BayAreaCelt
Yeah, I get that - looks not overly clear. That said, I was happy to get the M3P now and get the nearly 2k tax rebate, rather than wait too much longer and risk losing that. I wont be keeping the car for longer than about 3 and a bit years anyways, unless it turns into a true track or rally slag. If I see it correctly, throughout California, the diamond lanes days are starting to be numbered - overbusy and some areas (starting in LA) are starting to charge electric cars (ho ho Im so punny) to use the lanes as they are a victim of their own success. Maybe if public transport wasnt so epically, biblically, shockingly poor in the US there might be less cars and trucks on the road in the first place but what do us yuripeons know.. heh.