Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get the $50k deposit back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hi all. Has anyone canceled their deposit and if so how long did it take to get the funds wired back to you? Also, when did you do this? Probably the more recent the more relevant.

In short, while I still want this car, I sold 50 TSLA at $1,000 to pay for the deposit. I'm considering getting the cash back to reinvest in TLSA. Hopefully the appreciation of the stock would more than cover the difference in whatever the cost is over the previous $200k base price that I may or may not have locked in.

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene

In short, while I still want this car, I sold 50 TSLA at $1,000 to pay for the deposit.

It sounds like you still have plenty of TSLA left. Just borrow $50k on margin to buy more TSLA now, then pay back the margin loan when you get the refund check from Tesla.

You're basically gambling the margin interest rate against the gain or loss in the stock price. :)

Hi all. Has anyone canceled their deposit and if so how long did it take to get the funds wired back to you? Also, when did you do this? Probably the more recent the more relevant.

In short, while I still want this car, I sold 50 TSLA at $1,000 to pay for the deposit. I'm considering getting the cash back to reinvest in TLSA. Hopefully the appreciation of the stock would more than cover the difference in whatever the cost is over the previous $200k base price that I may or may not have locked in.

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene

Gene,
Do you think we are 2 years away (or longer)?

Good luck with getting your deposit back for re-invest!

Gene,
Do you think we are 2 years away (or longer)?

Good luck with getting your deposit back for re-invest!
So hard to say. He did say 2022 was year of growth and then 2023 was year of new products. I think I’m just going to sit on my hands and keep the deposit in. Greed kills.

So hard to say. He did say 2022 was year of growth and then 2023 was year of new products. I think I’m just going to sit on my hands and keep the deposit in. Greed kills.
He said many, many things, including FSD in 2017 (the old FSD, not the post 2019 "watered down" version consisting mostly of old EAP features), Roadster in 2020, Plaid+ in 2021, million robo-taxis on the road by end of 2021, etc. etc. I find it interesting how people keep on believing the boy who cried wolf so many times. Any of you think the SDK for MCU1 to enable third party apps on MCU1 is still coming soon since Elon said so a decade ago? How about AP1 cars "will find you and meet you anywhere on private property"? Or perhaps, 2016 AP2.0 summon from New York to Los Angeles - does anyone really think many of the 2016 Teslas sold with FSD will in fact support cross country summon before they are no longer road-worthy?

I think the Roadster is way more than vapor. They are clearly working on it. The entire auto industry is still facing major supply chain issues, and may even get worse. It would be nice to hear an update on it though before the fall.
Even if they finish it, where will they build it? Factories can't even keep up with the existing models. Add in the cyber truck and the roadster will be nowhere to be seen.

Even if they finish it, where will they build it? Factories can't even keep up with the existing models. Add in the cyber truck and the roadster will be nowhere to be seen.
I’m not sure the Cybertruck will make it to Production.

Kind of hope it never does.

I agree, though. It’ll be very low-volume, but they have to put the assembly line somewhere.

Texas?