Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long to Get Used to Driving M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The park button does a few things:
  • Single press at speed does nothing
  • Long press at speed cuts motor power and gradually engages rear brakes until released. Motor(s) remain disabled until throttle is lifted.
  • Single press below 1.5mph applies parking brake and unlocks all doors if "unlock on park" is set
  • Single press when already in park unlocks all doors if "unlock on park" is not set or if doors were manually locked
  • Long press below 1.5mph applies parking brake more firmly. Tesla calls this the "Parking Brake" and notes that it can be engaged "while in Park"
  • 420 presses within 69 seconds activates a really cool Easter egg (try it!)
Screenshot 2021-09-23 234025.png

This is incorrect. There is no difference between pressing park and pressing park for 2 seconds even if the screen makes you believe otherwise.

Model 3 doesnt have a parking brake.
Also there is no need for pressing the button at all, the car will automatically go into park when you open the door.
If you press park then press again you can "hear" the rear park brake engage and see the red (P) appear. (Owners Manual pg. 60)

Last edited:
I have a 5 hour trip to take the day after I get my M3. How long does it take to transition/get used to driving an EV after having driven ICE vehicle for 40 years?
Wondering if good idea to take it for the long drive or if I should allow some time to get used to it.
Thanks!
Rob
It took me no time at all when I picked up my M3LR almost exactly a year ago, but I strongly recommend that you read the owners manual TWICE before taking delivery of the car.

Driving the car home from the delivery center I was able to travel about 30 miles, surface roads and highways and used the brake once, so I would say in no time. As far as some of the more sophisticated attributes of the car I would think a road trip would be an excellent way to get comfortable with the car. I did read the entire Owner's Manual before delivery and that helped.
I also read the entire owner’s manual before I got the car. I had been reading reviews and articles for years, so there was not much I didn’t already know about the car. In addition, my spouse has an electric vehicle, so one pedal driving was already something I’d experienced, as well as the practice of plugging in when I get home. I expect that if a purchaser was not already familiar with the way controls are implemented in the Model 3 there would be some adjustment period. I suggested to a friend who recently purchased a Model 3 that they look for tips and tricks on YouTube. You can learn things such as the fact that the wiper control pops up when you press the single wipe button. And that many things can be controlled by voice so you don’t have to look for them on the touch screen. The one piece of advice I have for new owners is to select the “Hold” drive mode. It enables one pedal driving. I don’t see any need to use “Creep” for “transitional” purposes as some sales people seem to suggest.

Coming from an S, when I test-drove a Model 3 LR, I only had to learn differences in engaging AP, although AP did disengage once during my test drive (I incorrectly thought it was a phantom-braking incident.)

The park button does a few things:
  • 420 presses within 69 seconds activates a really cool Easter egg (try it!)
That "cool Easter egg" must be "wearing out the button prematurely." That's more than 6 presses per second.

Also, a +1 for the folks saying to drive it in chill mode. Even if you are coming from a performance vehicle, the throttle response is __much__ different. I say chill not to reduce the performance, but since the throttle is so immediate, almost like a switch, you'll find yourself kind of pulsing the car and that really gets to passengers, especially if they're prone to motion sickness!

This was the biggest thing for me (performance model). I almost hit the person in front of me a few times when passing (happens WAY faster than w/ an ICE car) and I bonked by head on the headrest more than once too! Otherwise it's pretty much like any other car, regenerative braking is sort of like really strong engine braking on a manual transmission.

Tim

yes, but it is the same as just putting it into park. Model 3 does not have a parking brake.
Parking brake is integrated into the main braking system. Also, parking brake is referenced many times in the owner's manual.
model 3 acutated the rear brake. whether a long press of the P or short press or no press is used makes no difference (or whether the parking brake symbol lights up on the dash)
I don't disagree with that.

Reactions: android04
I didnt find it much different than getting used to any other new vehicle from a different brand than your last one. Things that might help you:

1. Dont plan on using a bunch of autopilot / FSD (if you have that feature) so soon after getting your vehicle. Some do, but in my opinion its best to get used to how the car performs (AND what it will, and more importantly WONT do while in autopilot / FSD mode).

2. Consider driving in chill mode, or at the very least see the difference between chill mode and regular as it relates to acceleration. One thing that people sometimes take a bit of time getting used to is just "how fast" these cars actually are, especially in regards to acceleration. What I mean is, "accelerator pedal travel of X = car accelerating like Y", might take some getting used to.

It would be fairly easy to accelerate "harder" and "faster" than you intend, until you get used to how fast the car is. You can mitigate that by putting the car in chill mode.

Do the same things you would do with any other new vehicle you take ownership of, which is things like:

1. Ensure you know how to turn the wipers on, and speed them up and down (you can do this with voice commands)
2. Ensure you know how to change the temperature in the vehicle (you can also do this with voice commands " set temperature to X")
3. Ensure you know how to turn the headlights on and off.
4. Ensure you have a plan for any potential flat tire (there is no spare, and the car does not come with run flat tires)
5. Ensure you know how to set up your desired music / listening environment ( so you are not trying to fiddle with it when you are driving)

Stuff like that... all common stuff when buying a different car brand than the one you are used to driving.
Good points except for chill mode.

Takes all the fun away. If you don’t inadvertently go 100+ MPH down the freeway, do you really own a Tesla? 😎

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin