Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to receive estimated delivery date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very normal when placing an order at the start of the quarter. Would guess you'll likely get it by end of quarter. New orders are now expect May delivery.

May I ask where you got May from?

What's interesting is that if you try to place an order for a Model S, it gives an estimate of late March for delivery - right under the cash price. When ordering a MX, there's no estimate what so ever. I contacted my local OA and they weren't able to give an estimate either. Just noting that it varies depending on a number of different factors. It makes me wonder if they're still working out production issues for the X.

Based on the S timeline here's what I know. Orders are made in batches, with each quarter resetting. Month 1 of the quarter is designated for overseas delivery. Build and queue for shipment. US orders begin M2. Further you are from the factory, the earlier your car enters production. By M3, majority of orders are met.

Since you placed in M1 (Jan,) it's not uncommon to hear nothing until the mid/end of M2 (Feb) and then all of a sudden your car went through production and in transit within days or even hours.

May I ask where you got May from?

What's interesting is that if you try to place an order for a Model S, it gives an estimate of late March for delivery - right under the cash price. When ordering a MX, there's no estimate what so ever. I contacted my local OA and they weren't able to give an estimate either. Just noting that it varies depending on a number of different factors. It makes me wonder if they're still working out production issues for the X.

Based on the S timeline here's what I know. Orders are made in batches, with each quarter resetting. Month 1 of the quarter is designated for overseas delivery. Build and queue for shipment. US orders begin M2. Further you are from the factory, the earlier your car enters production. By M3, majority of orders are met.

Since you placed in M1 (Jan,) it's not uncommon to hear nothing until the mid/end of M2 (Feb) and then all of a sudden your car went through production and in transit within days or even hours.
I see the US site doesn't have May for the Model X, but it was reported in a few other threads already and I see May in Canada for the 75 & 90. I've seen reports of Australia assembly is underway (so its already more than a month for overseas). I'm sure North America production is still not started. My order was confirmed mid November and I'm late March/early Feb and seen reports some before you are getting the same window.

The S production rate is greater so its hard to compare, I think its just a lot of pent up demand for the X and production is still ramping up to get to the same level. And I except it might possible have to exceed the S as they expand into that market.

Placed order for X75D 5 seat on Jan 9th order confirmed January 16th. MyTesla still doesn't show a estimated delivery date. I was curious if anyone else who ordered during that time have received an estimate. Or if this long of a wait is normal.
I'm guessing it would be April to May for you.

I placed my order Dec 29. Confirmed on Jan 5. Expected delivery end of March to early April.

Sorry brain fart just saw the other responses. Thanks for all the input.

Something else I was curious about is in the last press update (when they announced pricing for the super charging stations) they mentioned the order date of Jan 15th to qualify for free super charging. I thought it was weird that they left out the delivery date of April 15th. Makes me wonder if that is no longer a requirement? Thoughts?

I ordered my Model X 90D on January 12. Confirmed January 20. Expected delivery is March to early April. Now I'm concerned about lifetime supercharging if delivery occurs after 4/15.

The 4/15 cutoff was for build completion, not for delivery, so you're good to go with that estimate.

@Josh88 , shoot a quick email to your DS and ask about the slated production date (probably "week of X") and expected delivery window. I ordered a Model S on January 15, and I received my VIN immediately after the order confirmed on January 22, but the My Tesla page never has shown any expected delivery. However, my DS let me know that my car is slated for production during the week of February 27, with an estimated delivery in mid/late March.

Cheers!

I ordered December 19, 2016; order confirmed December 26, 2016.
On February 22, 2017, I received an email notification that production of my MX90D would occur during the week of March 6, 2017. For months, I have been told orally numerous times that delivery would be in mid- to late March. MyTesla said nothing about an estimated delivery date until today, February 25, 2017. MyTesla now says “Estimated Delivery Range: March - Early April.”

I ordered December 19, 2016; order confirmed December 26, 2016.
On February 22, 2017, I received an email notification that production of my MX90D would occur during the week of March 6, 2017. For months, I have been told orally numerous times that delivery would be in mid- to late March. MyTesla said nothing about an estimated delivery date until today, February 25, 2017. MyTesla now says “Estimated Delivery Range: March - Early April.”

So for me I ordered Jan 9, confirmed Jan 16. Assigned a VIN Feb 6th, my delivery advisor has said late march delivery but still nothing in MyTesla. I'm guessing your time line was like this:

Order Tesla
Confirm Order
Assigned VIN (Email)
Asssigned delivery range (email)
Delivery range updated in MyTesla

I ordered MX 90D on Feb 9. Confirmed Feb 16. At the time of order the website predicted a Late May delivery to Australia. I've since been assigned a VIN. DS had stated a production date of 1st week of April. No other information officially via email or My Tesla.

So for me I ordered Jan 9, confirmed Jan 16. Assigned a VIN Feb 6th, my delivery advisor has said late march delivery but still nothing in MyTesla. I'm guessing your time line was like this:

Order Tesla
Confirm Order
Assigned VIN (Email)
Asssigned delivery range (email)
Delivery range updated in MyTesla

I hope the following is responsive to your question:
Order Tesla — December 19, 2016
Confirm Order — December 26, 2016
Assigned VIN — in MyTesla
Assigned delivery range and updated — in MyTesla and orally