Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to wait for the "New Red"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I had the opportunity to be in L.A., and dropped by the Fashion Island store. The demo model inside has the new 'Red' (no longer called sunset, etc, just 'red' according the the reps in the store). To my surprise, I was so taken by the color that I am about to decide to wait until the color is officially available to confirm my order. This will probably delay delivery by a substantial amount of time, but I wanted to get the wisdom of the forum on just how long. The rep at the store said that paint won't be available until after the last Signature red is built (since that is the line that will be converted to the new red). However since I am P4632, it will be well into next year before I would take delivery even if I configure today. So what are the opinions and insights of the forum. Will this effectively delay delivery, and if so - how much?

frankc

With your sequence number, it might not delay things at all. Your car should be about the 6000th car made (4600 + 1200 sigs plus founders and demo cars) and a delivery in Feb/March timeframe. The last Sig should hopefully be built by November (hoping Canada gets their sigs soon).

I was thinking that Red would be available around June of 2013. BUT

If they are really making all the signatures it could be a good bit longer. I don't know how close Tesla is to homologation for Europe. And they will also have to produce RHD models. While this may be easier than with a traditional car it is still a good bit of work. So it may still be a year or more.

EDIT: Considering it isn't on their webpage, I wouldn't hold my breath. But then again I am impatient.

Yeah, it's a beautiful red (although my wife didn't think much of it) a la say, the Audi A3. But, given the number of orders being finalized without Red in the picture (we are already almost into P 8,000s now for US alone) and given how long it'll take to produce all of these orders, even at full clip (400 cars a week), you are surely looking at very deep into 2013.

But, given the number of orders being finalized without Red in the picture (we are already almost into P 8,000s now for US alone) and given how long it'll take to produce all of these orders, even at full clip (400 cars a week), you are surely looking at very deep into 2013.

I would agree with this, but feel it's more like June to August. Being P2842 we couldn't wait that long.

Didn't realize it was that far off. I wonder if they'll start a waiting list for the new red. People could simply say put my car in line for red and they'd get produced in that relative order.

I originally decided to hold out for the red, but can't make a decision to wait based on "sometime in 2013." Finalized my order today for black instead. Rather get the car and promote evs sooner than wait for the red.

FWIW, I think Tesla will want to create an "exclusivity gap" between the Sig series and release of the new red. So, my guess would be red deliveries starting in 2013Q3.
They shouldn't hold production of the new Red on behalf of Signature customers. I have no problem with seeing another red Model S if it will sell more cars. If they immediately turn around and sell the Signature red to everyone, I could see people having a problem with that though.