Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how long until full 85kW battery goes dead without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't drive the car for a few weeks being out of town how long does it take to drain the battery? Will this have any negative consequences on the overall health of the battery?

With the latest software revision, it appears that the car will loose 1 to 2 miles per day. With a full charge that would be many months. Tesla recommends that you leave your car plugged in if you are leaving for an extended period. Any power source will do. The Tesla website and this forum has extensive information and discussions on this topic.

Leave it plugged into a regular 120v outlet, and it will take care of itself.
Otherwise the battery will likely be depleted after a couple of weeks. If it does "go dead," the battery will go into a kind of self protecting hibernation state, so you will need to jump the 12v battery to operate anything at all in the car, even to begin charging the main battery. Probably won't end up "bricked," but not a good risk to take, and not good for the overall longevity of the battery. Best is to find a way to leave it plugged in and trickle charging to a standard 80 or 90% charge level.

With the latest software revision, it appears that the car will loose 1 to 2 miles per day. With a full charge that would be many months. Tesla recommends that you leave your car plugged in if you are leaving for an extended period. Any power source will do. The Tesla website and this forum has extensive information and discussions on this topic.

Keep in mind many people (in the U.S., anyway) are still on version 4.5, though, which doesn't have this improved sleep mode. But as you say...even with it, I'd plug in if leaving for weeks. Heck, I keep it plugged in if I'm gone for a few days.

If I don't drive the car for a few weeks being out of town how long does it take to drain the battery? Will this have any negative consequences on the overall health of the battery?
Ok, I can't resist since this has been asked before and I remain curious as to the reason.

Why are people interested in this answer? Is your S an "outdoor car" (no garage) without steady available of a 110V plug? Or do you worry about brownouts "doing bad things to your car"? Or something else?