TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

how long until full 85kW battery goes dead without charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Adden Lee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Adden Lee

Adden Lee Member

If I don't drive the car for a few weeks being out of town how long does it take to drain the battery? Will this have any negative consequences on the overall health of the battery?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

With the latest software revision, it appears that the car will loose 1 to 2 miles per day. With a full charge that would be many months. Tesla recommends that you leave your car plugged in if you are leaving for an extended period. Any power source will do. The Tesla website and this forum has extensive information and discussions on this topic.

3. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

Leave it plugged into a regular 120v outlet, and it will take care of itself.
    Otherwise the battery will likely be depleted after a couple of weeks. If it does "go dead," the battery will go into a kind of self protecting hibernation state, so you will need to jump the 12v battery to operate anything at all in the car, even to begin charging the main battery. Probably won't end up "bricked," but not a good risk to take, and not good for the overall longevity of the battery. Best is to find a way to leave it plugged in and trickle charging to a standard 80 or 90% charge level.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Tesla guarantees the battery won't brick.

Creating the World's Best Service and Warranty Program | Blog | Tesla Motors

5. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Keep in mind many people (in the U.S., anyway) are still on version 4.5, though, which doesn't have this improved sleep mode. But as you say...even with it, I'd plug in if leaving for weeks. Heck, I keep it plugged in if I'm gone for a few days.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Ok, I can't resist since this has been asked before and I remain curious as to the reason.

Why are people interested in this answer? Is your S an "outdoor car" (no garage) without steady available of a 110V plug? Or do you worry about brownouts "doing bad things to your car"? Or something else?

7. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Long trip and leaving car at airport? I don't expect I will leave my P85 at the airport or Masterpark but I've thought about the question.