Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until used Model S hits base Model 3 prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel my Model 3 reservation. I REALLY didn't want to. Funny to think of that evening almost 2.5 years ago stressing out that I couldn't get the website to work for 5 minutes when it first opened. All for not now!

Admittedly I was fence-sitting already only because we have a 3rd child arriving this coming winter and have a dog as well. The removal of the $14k Ontario rebate was the final nail. The base Model 3 with the $14k rebate was already at the top of our comfort level.

The question is: how long will it take early Model S cars to reach Model 3 prices. I would love to find a 7-seat Model S that we could afford. They have been slowly coming down over the years, but due to the rule of US-based used ones not being allowed to be sold here in Canada, they seem to be holding their value quite well. Good in a sense I suppose. Now that the Ontario incentive has been taken away, I feel like the Ontario used market will jump up in price.

Basically zero chance of the used S coming down to a base 3 price (~45k) anytime soon. Most of the time they show up at around 80k, so for that car to drop by half will take quite a while unfortunately....probably will end up being able to buy a used model 3 well before that happens :)

Even I'm the states, I think the cheapest I've seen an S listed for is around 40k USD, which is around 52k CAD. Plus, would you really feel comfortable spending 45k+ on a used car that likely has close to 200,000km on it?

On the Canada CPO site there is only one S, it's a S70D with 40k km, and it's 84k....for that price you could get the performance model 3 with zero km, full warranty and a much faster car with much more range.

I'm only sounding so negative because I spent about a week and a half considering if a used S was affordable if the rebates were cancelled, and the conclusion I came to was no...unless you really value the extra space the S has vs the extra range and warranty of a 3...

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my Model 3 reservation. I REALLY didn't want to. Funny to think of that evening almost 2.5 years ago stressing out that I couldn't get the website to work for 5 minutes when it first opened. All for not now!

Admittedly I was fence-sitting already only because we have a 3rd child arriving this coming winter and have a dog as well. The removal of the $14k Ontario rebate was the final nail. The base Model 3 with the $14k rebate was already at the top of our comfort level.

The question is: how long will it take early Model S cars to reach Model 3 prices. I would love to find a 7-seat Model S that we could afford. They have been slowly coming down over the years, but due to the rule of US-based used ones not being allowed to be sold here in Canada, they seem to be holding their value quite well. Good in a sense I suppose. Now that the Ontario incentive has been taken away, I feel like the Ontario used market will jump up in price.
I’m in the same boat. 7 seat MS is what I want/need. I have no problem with high mileage given the unlimited warranty.

I'm pretty sure that the S will never hot the same price points, mainly because it was never intended to. What you are probably wanting to think about is the Model Y, for which a prototype may occur next March. The Y is somewhat stated as being the Model X version of the Model 3, a SUV built on the Model 3 platform.

There is an issue here, when so many people wanted a Unicorn. That would have been to buy a $35,000 base Model 3 and take the $14,000 Ontario Rebate. Net cost of $21,000 for a brand new, highly in demand Tesla Model 3.

That would have been the bargain buy of the Century, but alas it never came to be.

Fwiw - Tesla offered me $44k for my Sig P85 w/seven seats and 71k Kms a few months back. It still has another year CPO warranty in it. No thanks. :)

I think I could probably get $60kish for it, based on Auto trader prIces, +/- 20%. That’s pretty close to a post-rebate 3, if you don’t look at the taxation and options too closely.

There is an issue here, when so many people wanted a Unicorn. That would have been to buy a $35,000 base Model 3 and take the $14,000 Ontario Rebate. Net cost of $21,000 for a brand new, highly in demand Tesla Model 3.

That would have been the bargain buy of the Century, but alas it never came to be.
Once again, this is the Canadian section. The base model is currently C$45,600

C$82,600 for this 70D with 40,843km

Inventory Search | Tesla Canada

Used S seem quite strong in the used markets pricing wise and I don't see many shifting, been looking for a few weeks and only a handful are not listed anymore, mostly CPO ones sell the quickest as I have seen it.

I'd get a used S for Vancouver job, but the costs used are just way too high. Base Model 3 in 6 months looks best bet.

See on the 3 configurator deliveries down 1-3 months.

Allright @Gen3; when I search I tend to search nationally. I'll let you know if anything good comes up west of Manitoba :)

I agree with the above comments on Used units directly from Tesla. I have been keeping my eye on the private market. I have seen them creep towards $50k CAD; my hope was that in a year or so that would drop towards $40k CAD. Yes, there is still tax on that, but I'm hoping some of the aftermarket expenses won't be there (many come with two sets of tires/wheels, already wrapped, hopefully roof rack included, etc.). Emphasis on *hope* in the previous sentence :). Another thing going for me is that I have pretty low standards for condition. I really don't care if there are dings all over it and the seats are held together with duct tape; so long as it works, is safe and will continue to do so for a long while yet, I'll be happy.

Yes, I will consider the Model Y with my three kids and dog. I have never been a fan of the SUV/CUV shape, but the almighty dollar may determine where I end up.

Thanks for your help and positive thoughts all!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I sold my S for 47K, pictured in my profile one month ago....it had 170,000 km and there was a lot of interest.

Problem is that all cars traded into Tesla in Canada are wholesaled back to the USA. None are resold in Canada unless they are pristine!

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon
Considering the mileage I'm putting on mine... shouldn't be too long! :D

But I'll have such a huge financing balloon on the car that I'll not agree to part with it at market price anyway, so I'll do like I usually do with all my cars: drive it to the ground.

My pleasure. ;P