Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until we get a 400+ mile model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucid, Nio ET7, Polestar 3 suv, bmw says 500 mi couple years away, GAC Aion…

They’re coming…. whats the plan for the model y? You can say “300 is enough” as long as you want, but 400+ isn’t far off for some other brands, and it would be folly to stay at current range indefinitely…. Was just curious if Tesla has any plans…

A lot of these folks are quoting non-EPA ranges which are wildly optimistic. The Newest Hyundai is rated around 400 miles... in Korea which is gonna mean around 315 here.

I wasn’t offended by anything you said and I didn’t intend for my response to come across as aggressive ; sorry if it did. My point is that we should not need to change anyone’s mindset. We need the technology to advance to a point where compromise is unnecessary, and I believe it will. You should be able to take your time and enjoy the charms of each town you pass through; while I should be able to give Farrah Fawcett a hug Burt Reynolds a high five and then be on my way. Faster charging rates would make that a reality.
You didn't sound aggressive. :) I'm a sarcastic sob, so my posts might come off that way. I have a feeling we agree a lot more than we disagree, friend.

It's not about NEEDING to change mindsets of people. It'll happen sooner or later or not at all. My point is that change is hard, but the benefits can be great. I convinced my parents to get a Model Y after visiting with my 3. Every week they tell me about a coworker complaining about $5/gallon gasoline, someone stealing their catalytic converter, or a doubling of the price of some routine maintenance item. At the same time they chide people who drive EVs and swear they'll never get one because they can't fill up in less than 5 minutes for that one week in the year they might take a roadtrip. If that's their single-issue criterion, that's their right, but a change in mindset from "how is it worse (or better)" to "what are ALL the trade-offs" is the better way to go.

Besides, if anyone wanted to change mindsets, you hit them in the pocketbook. Start repealing the subsidies and loopholes for oil and gas companies so that people are individually paying the true cost of that commodity. You'd change the vast majority of people's mind without an authoritarian gasoline vehicle ban. I always thought it was weird that 12oz of coffee costs more than a gallon of refined petroleum with all the work it takes to make. I understand why, and yet it's still weird.

9,000 sq/ft. So about that bridge…

Musk also said we’d have FSD yesterday.

that model is gonna make Tesla trillions because most of the country has the solar irradiation of Yuma. Gotcha.

The bridge is in Alaska. Happy to send you a picture if you’re interested. I’ll sell you an exclusive 1/1 NFT of it for a fraction of the price.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
The numbers are interesting.
9000 ft*ft is about 850 meter*meter. Presuming contiguous coverage, and
If we call annual average production 5 hours a day and presume use of 20% efficient panels, then
The PV array will generate about 850 kWh a day on average.

That is a small array for a 3 MWh storage
It’s also in Yuma. How fast does efficiency drop after a day of dust on it? Gonna have to clean those all the time to keep that output up. How many panels for Seattle? Chicago? Most of the country that’s not Yuma?

It’s a great concept and I’m all for it, but it will never have higher margins than software.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Musk also said we’d have FSD yesterday.
You are comparing a technical challenge (FSD, which no company in the world has come close to cracking) with a decision to install more off-the-shelf commodities. Surely you can do better.
most of the country has the solar irradiation of Yuma.

Spend some time with PVwatts and riddle me this: what fraction of the country has 80% or more the annualized PTC of Yuma ?

Reactions: GWord
It’s also in Yuma. How fast does efficiency drop after a day of dust on it? Gonna have to clean those all the time to keep that output up. How many panels for Seattle? Chicago? Most of the country that’s not Yuma?

It’s a great concept and I’m all for it, but it will never have higher margins than software.
my dad probably thought he’d never be able to have a panini any time he wanted one, but those geniuses over at hot pocket made his dream a reality. Never is a long time.

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
my dad probably thought he’d never be able to have a panini any time he wanted one, but those geniuses over at hot pocket made his dream a reality. Never is a long time.
Thats true for most technology. But we cant change the amount of energy from the sun hitting the earth. There is an absolute maximum amount that we can harvest. And my point, related to previous posts, was that Tesla isn't staking their future profits on selling solar energy at superchargers nor trying to scrape pennies selling commodities at retail.

Gonna have to take away your Dad's Italian card if you've got him on hot pockets! 😁

Reactions: GWord and jsight
Thats true for most technology. But we cant change the amount of energy from the sun hitting the earth. There is an absolute maximum amount that we can harvest. And my point, related to previous posts, was that Tesla isn't staking their future profits on selling solar energy at superchargers nor trying to scrape pennies selling commodities at retail.

Gonna have to take away your Dad's Italian card if you've got him on hot pockets! 😁
Nah he’s Jewish; if he ever starts eating gefilte fish hot pockets we’ll have to put him in a home

Last edited:
You are comparing a technical challenge (FSD, which no company in the world has come close to cracking) with a decision to install more off-the-shelf commodities. Surely you can do better.

Spend some time with PVwatts and riddle me this: what fraction of the country has 80% or more the annualized PTC of Yuma ?

Who knows. But Seattle has about half the radiation and 40x the population of Yuma. You can do the math on the needed area for panels to power seattle versus Yuma.

Tesla is not going to make trillions selling retail electricity. Tesla is not going to make trillions selling electricity generated from solar panels and battery packs at supercharging stations in locations that have an annual solar radiation level of 6.72.

We can agree to disagree. I'll bookmark this post and come back in 20 years to see who's right. ;)

For many customers the issue is:

- Should I get an hybrid to get more range for trips in the mountains.
or
- Should I get electric, so no more gas, but travelling has limitations.

Reviewing some of the previous comments, beside more batteries and more superchargers:
- EVs to stay affordables cannot have too much batteries, especially if not needed 90% of the time.
- Superchargers, while required in main roadways, are not cost effective in less populated areas.

We need more public L2 chargers, especially at ovenight places, like hotels, or trailhead where you park your car while hiking.
Those type of chargers are not very expensive to install, and maybe using solar panel would be a cheap solution in remote areas.
Actually, I think Chevy was on to something with the Volt - an EV that also had a gasoline generator. That’s essentially what Diesel locomotives do: they run on electric motors with a diesel generator to power the motors. The Chevy set up allows pure EV operation most of the time but has the convenience of the gasoline powered generator. It also would allow the gasoline engine to be tuned to operate at peak efficiency, unlike current ICE cars.

Actually, I think Chevy was on to something with the Volt - an EV that also had a gasoline generator. That’s essentially what Diesel locomotives do: they run on electric motors with a diesel generator to power the motors. The Chevy set up allows pure EV operation most of the time but has the convenience of the gasoline powered generator. It also would allow the gasoline engine to be tuned to operate at peak efficiency, unlike current ICE cars.
Transitional technology, just like hybrids.