Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long was your wait in line? (I think we were at the slowest store..)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
So, it's been over a week and like over 100k+ other people, I stood in line for the Model 3. We were 240-242 (thanks for the count and some of your pictures @Mark Z ) in line and waited five hours from the time we arrived.

After reading what people experienced in their lines and talking with fellow Model 3 reservation holders, I wondered...

If the line we were in at Brea Mall (California) was the slowest during Model 3 Release Day

We were in line from 9:15 am and was done with our reservation at 2:16 pm (here's the blog).

How fast or how slow was the line you were in on 3/31?

I went in the afternoon, so I only waited 20 minutes. But my Dad got in line shortly before the store opened, and it took him just about 3 hours to get to the front. He was #442 in line. So yeah, his line went a lot faster than yours.

Arrived Palm Desert (California) from coastal Los Angeles county at 0600. My chair, and shortly thereafter, me, after making a proper double honey mocha espresso in the car, were #6 in line. Numbers #1-#3 had arrived the evening before from San Berdoo.

Doors opened at 1000, and there were reportedly 200 people in line as it trailed down the block and around the corner. I was done by 1007.

My rationale was that the extra hour's drive to a less-populated area would be better than waiting in a longer line after driving less. That, and I don't mind driving longer distances for some odd reason. The population of the desert cities this time of year might be 500,000. At 0530 there were 80 people in line at Santa Monica and 40 people in line at Burbank - both had hundreds in line as the morning progressed, and I understand that Pasadena was worse. My second option was Brea, but I figured they'd get quite a bit of traffic as well - and evidently from the post upthread, they did.

A friend reserved at the Santa Monica store late afternoon that day. No line of which to speak.

And so history was made. Fun stuff. Was glad to see, that evening, that the car didn't look bad, to boot. Was a little sad as well, as the Model 3 sure looked like a potential (down the road) Model S killer to me, but such would be the way of things. When your choices come down to the Model S or the Model 3, life is pretty damned good.

Besides which, one can expect that they'll differentiate the two models for awhile yet anyway. Think BMW 3 series versus BMW 7 series, for example, not to mention Mercedes, Honda, and to a different extent, GM.

Pasadena: got there around 9 am and finally reserved at 1 pm. Not quite as slow as yours.
What # were you in line? Did you find out?

Arrived 5:30 AM, reserved at 10:04 AM (#11 in line) at Columbus :)
Cool. How many order takers?

I got in line at 11:00 at the Houston Galleria location. A Tesla employee was counting the line when I got there and I heard him say 200. I was done paying and walking back to my car at 12:35.
I was tracking that Galleria with pictures on social media.

I went in the afternoon, so I only waited 20 minutes. But my Dad got in line shortly before the store opened, and it took him just about 3 hours to get to the front. He was #442 in line. So yeah, his line went a lot faster than yours.

Yeah, I wonder how many order takers

Natick Mall, MA

Got there at 9:20am, reserved at 11:45am.

Probably 200ish people ahead of me based on estimations by me and the guy in front of me. Line was still back to my original location when I got out and stayed like that for another hour or so. Probably 400ish people through the line by 1-2pm.

Arrived Palm Desert (California) from coastal Los Angeles county at 0600. My chair, and shortly thereafter, me, after making a proper double honey mocha espresso in the car, were #6 in line. Numbers #1-#3 had arrived the evening before from San Berdoo.

Doors opened at 1000, and there were reportedly 200 people in line as it trailed down the block and around the corner. I was done by 1007.

My rationale was that the extra hour's drive to a less-populated area would be better than waiting in a longer line after driving less. That, and I don't mind driving longer distances for some odd reason. The population of the desert cities this time of year might be 500,000. At 0530 there were 80 people in line at Santa Monica and 40 people in line at Burbank - both had hundreds in line as the morning progressed, and I understand that Pasadena was worse. My second option was Brea, but I figured they'd get quite a bit of traffic as well - and evidently from the post upthread, they did.

A friend reserved at the Santa Monica store late afternoon that day. No line of which to speak.

And so history was made. Fun stuff. Was glad to see, that evening, that the car didn't look bad, to boot. Was a little sad as well, as the Model 3 sure looked like a potential (down the road) Model S killer to me, but such would be the way of things. When your choices come down to the Model S or the Model 3, life is pretty damned good.

Besides which, one can expect that they'll differentiate the two models for awhile yet anyway. Think BMW 3 series versus BMW 7 series, for example, not to mention Mercedes, Honda, and to a different extent, GM.

Good planning... We had a lot of San Bernardino and Riverside folks that showed up in Brea... Plus (as you can see from my blog post and earlier in the thread) it was DARN SLOW. (until just before we placed our order and three more order takers showed up.

So, confirmed your information.

Burbank - went to store around 4:30pm and was confused why no one was there. In and out in 2 minutes.

Burbank had some news coverage though... Then again, Channel 7/KABC and I think Chanel 4/KNBC is "around the block" from that location.

77th in line in Cleveland, OH. Doors opened at 10:00, had my reservation completed by 10:35.

I assume that this was the Cleveland/Lyndhurst Sales, Service, and Delivery Center (with a Supercharger (for Center/not public use) in the Service Area in the back). I remember being there in 2015 on our Cross-Country Roadtrip 2015. Nice, friendly service there. Was the guard bird (a Canada Goose) still around? (or did he fly South for the Winter)

Natick Mall, MA

Got there at 9:20am, reserved at 11:45am.

Probably 200ish people ahead of me based on estimations by me and the guy in front of me. Line was still back to my original location when I got out and stayed like that for another hour or so. Probably 400ish people through the line by 1-2pm.

Yeah, there were still a ton that added on while we kept moving, I would estimate 500 total...

arrived 5pm night before (4th in line) order done by 9:05am. 300+ people in line in Montreal

Cool. Saw your video post in this thread. I actually included your (Montreal's) line experience in the rain in my blog-post.

Reactions: zammboss
Charlotte NC doors opened at 10, and I was #27 in line (arrived at 7am). Once inside, the line split into two lines, so I ended up being about #20 in the store to get mine in, but there was an internet connection issue that delayed the reservations by a little bit (I think people were about ready to get out their pitchforks!). Mine went through around 10:30am.