Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will a model 3 last and what tesla to replace it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s me who is being disingenuous, not the people who are claiming these batteries will last for 10 years with absolutely not data to back that up, nor the company that, for whatever reason, refuses to warranty them for that length of time? Mmmmmkay.
None of us have any data. Just life experience that tells us newer technology improves significantly in the first couple decades after introduction. That is the only basis I have. In my basement storage I have a 40” plasma TV from 2001 that weighs like 80lbs, and cost $2000 and lost a lot of pixels after 4 years. Things got a lot better since.

Reactions: ODWms
None of us have any data. Just life experience that tells us newer technology improves significantly in the first couple decades after introduction. That is the only basis I have. In my basement storage I have a 40” plasma TV from 2001 that weighs like 80lbs, and cost $2000 and lost a lot of pixels after 4 years. Things got a lot better since.
That’s how I look at it. Mind you, sometimes technology reaches a plateau, for example TVs were almost exactly the same for well over forty years before you got your plasma. But battery technology is going at an incredible pace right now

Reactions: ODWms
Has anyone reached 200k miles with their Model 3? What does battery degradation look like and how likely is it that the battery is going to last 300k-500k miles as Elon Musk claimed?

I've heard of many who hit 200k. I personally have no doubt the battery will last as long as they say but the question is really what will your max range be at that point. I'm sure there will be a lot of daily use "city commuter" Teslas rolling around in about 10 years.

8 years 120,000 mile warranty is longer than I've ever owned a car...but I plan on trying to do 10 years. We shall see...

Why do people not ask this type questions about ICE engines or transmissions etc., they just drive it. That's how I'm treating our Teslas....just driving them.

Has anyone reached 200k miles with their Model 3? What does battery degradation look like and how likely is it that the battery is going to last 300k-500k miles as Elon Musk claimed?
I'm at 189,000 miles. Full charge shows 275 miles of rated range (out of 310 original, although it only ever showed 303).

Currently in service for a failing rear drive unit. A year and a half ago Tesla replaced the DC fast charging contactors. When the car was new and still under warranty, it had the a/c compressor replaced. Aside from those items it's been fantastic. No regrets - would buy again.

I'm at 189,000 miles. Full charge shows 275 miles of rated range (out of 310 original, although it only ever showed 303).

Currently in service for a failing rear drive unit. A year and a half ago Tesla replaced the DC fast charging contactors. When the car was new and still under warranty, it had the a/c compressor replaced. Aside from those items it's been fantastic. No regrets - would buy again.

Thank you for this. Would you share when and how those warranty issues were detected and resolved?

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
When would it be worth to consider purchasing another Tesla or EV from competitor? I currently own a mid range Model 3 2018. Currenty is around 51,800 miles now. I got this car in Dec 31, 2018. So it's almost 3 years old. How many miles will the Model 3 last for until it becomes too expensive to repair and could warrant a new car purchase?

I'm just wondering if I did get a 2nd Tesla, which one would be good to accompany a Model 3 if I still own it? If money is not an issue. I thought Model X because its bigger and can haul stuff, and take more people for a comfortable road trip. And Model X I think is the only one with self closing doors, which is something I really want.

Will there ever be another Model X refresh besides the current interior one? Like an exterior & interior refresh, not just some half way refresh?
My first M3 was purchased 5 years ago new from Tesla. It has 139,000 miles on it today. No major issues with it during those years / miles. I was so pleased with it, I purchased another 2018 M3 that was dual motor, silver (only offered the first year), 5 years old with 20,000 miles. I had no issues selling my old M3 to a friend, if that tells you anything. My old M3 fully charged when new to 303 miles. When I sold it to my friend, fully charged to 281 miles. I sold it in April 2023, so just last month as I type this reply.

First M3:
2018 Single Motor Long Range FSD Beta

My new to me M3
2018 Dual Motor Long Range FSD Beta

How much does a new rear drive unit cost from Tesla? And what were the symptoms of the failing DC fast charge contactors?

How much does a new rear drive unit cost from Tesla? And what were the symptoms of the failing DC fast charge contactors?

Initial estimate is $2,500 for the parts and $1k labor plus $500 diagnostics.

Symptoms of the failing DC fast charging contractors was “charging interrupted” messages during fast charging followed by the inability to fast charge.