Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will cabin pre-heating stay enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Say I enabled cabin pre-heat to warm the car to 70F with all the heated seats on, and then I got distracted or had to change plans and forgot I had enabled it. How long will it stay on? And does this change whether you’re plugged in or not?

I couldn’t find any information on this.

Craziness. Need options here!
I use Teslafi to schedule my pre-conditioning. My schedule looks like this:
In the AM, it starts about 10 minutes before I would normally leave. If I am still home 30 minutes after I normally leave it shuts off.
Similar thing for work, 10 minutes before I leave. But it stops 10 minutes after I would normally leave if I'm still there.

Excellent question. I have this option for one day now; and, I got in the car 15 minutes early (so, I can not help here). It was 18F out side and the car was warm and toasty inside. The car was at full charge and I had full regen right out the door!

Please tell me this isn’t your argument for anything related to electric cars? Please.
If your car is plugged in, and you intentionally turned on the heat (or AC) then it staying on for four hours is perfectly reasonable.
You turned it on, you should turn it off, or wait for the timeout.

If it was not plugged in, then all the more reason for you to pay attention to your power usage in your electric car. Luckily even in that case the care will try to prevent you from running out of juice. But if you started the heat or AC, then you should pay attention.

Reactions: Uncle Don
If your car is plugged in, and you intentionally turned on the heat (or AC) then it staying on for four hours is perfectly reasonable.
You turned it on, you should turn it off, or wait for the timeout.

If it was not plugged in, then all the more reason for you to pay attention to your power usage in your electric car. Luckily even in that case the care will try to prevent you from running out of juice. But if you started the heat or AC, then you should pay attention.

And you don’t think it’s reasonable that sometimes *stuff* happens and people get distracted and that maybe, just maybe - there should be a notification system in place if it’s been left on for X amount of time?

Has anybody confirmed that the new scheduled departure pre-conditioning uses the same 4 hour window as the mobile app?

I can confirm from the Owner's Manual for the mobile app it is 4 hours - p 119.

When you use the mobile app to turn on the climate control system, it automatically turns off after four hours or if the charge level drops to 20%. To cool or heat the cabin for a longer period, you must turn it on again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG