Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will Tesla hold an order open for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how long Tesla might honour an order for if I tried to delay it? ha ha chance would be a fine thing.

Apart from any changes outside Teslas control, would they still likely honour the price and (currently unavailable) spec?

All the conjecture of further delays is adding to my thoughts of delaying things until more is known about the paint issues that are affecting some euro countries that put a lot of grit on their roads - a bit like here in UK. Something important to long term ownership.

Putting off things till March would also have other benefits, but introduce unknowns. But if Tesla might honour the order that we have, that would mitigate some of them. Another 6 months (wait on top of what we have waited) has been par for the course, especially as we thought things wouldn't be happening until next year anyway. Plus there may be a few more options on the horizon by then.

This is covered in the order agreement. You can cancel at any point up until delivery. Once given a delivery date you have a week or it goes to someone else. They can also cancel your order if they think you are acting in bad faith (which I would consider a 6 month delay attempt to be).

Reactions: djgillett
They can also cancel your order if they think you are acting in bad faith (which I would consider a 6 month delay attempt to be).
/

Bad faith? Ordered in good faith, expecting a summer order... but they are not acting in bad faith putting a 3-4 month delay in?

You could ask them?

And give them a reason to send me further to back of line. Need some answers to questions.

To be honest, I would imagine that by March this frenzy will have died down and you'll probably be able to get a car fairly quickly (weeks rather than months), especially if you go for a more "mainstream," spec...

Yes, except LR AWD is not currently an option. So need to keep current order open.

If you are worried about paint affected by road grit, just get the car wrapped soon after purchase to protect finish. Easy solution!

I have no paint issues with my model X after one year and over 30k miles.

What. Spend 3k to fix a Model 3 design issue? The location of the wheels wrt the sills is the problem, compounded by the very soft paint. Now the problem more widespread, ie its affecting cars within a few weeks of delivery in areas where they mitigate against winter conditions in a similar way do what we do in UK, hopefully Tesla will acknowledge the problem and come up with a fix in time for this winter. Something like some small mud flaps might be enough and can be retrospectively fitted assuming its not flaked and rusted already. Your Model X is a very different design - its protected in the area, unlike the Model 3.

Last edited:
more is known about the paint issues that are affecting some euro countries that put a lot of grit on their roads - a bit like here in UK

So 2 outcomes here:

1. The paint is stripped after 1 winter like Norway
2. It's not

What does that change?

For me nothing, if the paint is stripped i can take it to have ti fixed and wrapped (if it bothers me)

If not, then nothing....

I personally think the paint thing is exaggerated. It's a car, not the Mona Lisa. I also don't think Tesla will use a more durable paint any time soon.

So 2 outcomes here:

1. The paint is stripped after 1 winter like Norway
2. It's not

What does that change?

For me nothing, if the paint is stripped i can take it to have ti fixed and wrapped (if it bothers me)

If not, then nothing....

I personally think the paint thing is exaggerated. It's a car, not the Mona Lisa. I also don't think Tesla will use a more durable paint any time soon.

Unlike many, I'm expecting to keep the car for many years. Its a big deal. Rotted out sills is what killed cars decades ago. So I am being cautious. The fix may be simple. Some small mud flaps, harder paint and painting cars properly to protect them.

Any issues out there for any of the Canadian M3 owners who would have had their cars throughout their own winter already?

Yes. Model 3 paint wearing off its a big thread and gone legal. Some of the images are from cars a few months old. They have been inspected and a number of problems identified that all contribute to the problem.

What about putting on a ceramic coat on the paint work yourself? There are many videos showing how its done and seems to be simple enough to do yourself.

The cost of the Ceramic coats seem to be around £60-80 and looks like it can do 2 cars per bottle (although it seems once the container is opened it does not last long). It also lasts about 1 year and gives your paint a nice protection.

There are many ceramic products on the market and i think there is a video comparing the best.

/
What. Spend 3k to fix a Model 3 design issue? The location of the wheels wrt the sills is the problem, compounded by the very soft paint. Now the problem more widespread, ie its affecting cars within a few weeks of delivery in areas where they mitigate against winter conditions in a similar way do what we do in UK, hopefully Tesla will acknowledge the problem and come up with a fix in time for this winter. Something like some small mud flaps might be enough and can be retrospectively fitted assuming its not flaked and rusted already. Your Model X is a very different design - its protected in the area, unlike the Model 3.

Looking at photos of this issue, clear film protection in those specific "gravel rash" areas would be pretty simple and cost nothing remotely like £3k to apply. Maybe also consider changing to one of the multi-coat colours too i.e. red or white.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
/

Bad faith? Ordered in good faith, expecting a summer order... but they are not acting in bad faith putting a 3-4 month delay in?
Deliberately delaying completing an order previously agreed to, in order to maintain original limited time pricing, whilst also trying to obtain an upgrade over the options provided at the time the order was made (tougher paint) would probably be considered 'bad faith', yes.

I wouldn't consider the current delays over advertised estimated delivery times due to a high volume of orders bad faith unless you could prove that Tesla had the capacity to build and deliver all cars on their order books globally within the stated times and for some reason chose not to (which would make no sense, more deliveries = more cash).

But YMMV as may Tesla's.

Reactions: Yev000
What about putting on a ceramic coat on the paint work yourself? There are many videos showing how its done and seems to be simple enough to do yourself.

The cost of the Ceramic coats seem to be around £60-80 and looks like it can do 2 cars per bottle (although it seems once the container is opened it does not last long). It also lasts about 1 year and gives your paint a nice protection.

There are many ceramic products on the market and i think there is a video comparing the best.

We will probably be getting whole car ceramic professionally applied, But ceramic wont help protect things, but I think it will mean that grit won't adhere so freely and act as sand paper.

Looking at photos of this issue, clear film protection in those specific "gravel rash" areas would be pretty simple and cost nothing remotely like £3k to apply. Maybe also consider changing to one of the multi-coat colours too i.e. red or white.

Yes. Everything points to ppf as a custom solution but I am not familiar with this. So I don't know how it will perform when applied over the thicker rubberised part? Interestingly, the rubberised paint sounds like its a newer addition, but apparently still not like a problem solver as some of the cars have it and are still having problems. Likewise, multicoat not a solution either - is blue not multicoat? Problem still inflicting red cars.

I was hoping some tiny flaps and ceramic would help. But may ask ceramic chap about ppf in that area. I had not thought about applying it in limited areas although was going to ask about putting some on top face of bumper to protect against scuffing when accessing boot.

I think the total solution is a redesign of that area and covering like the model X (and S?) and many other cars on the road but that will possibly be metalwork change, so short term, an aerodynamically designed mud flap to redirect the spray away from the sill area.

Deliberately delaying completing an order previously agreed to, in order to maintain original limited time pricing, whilst also trying to obtain an upgrade over the options provided at the time the order was made (tougher paint) would probably be considered 'bad faith', yes.

Actually, its keeping the current spec LR AWD which is the main concern. I already accept that we would probably lose Homelink (hence reason why I have been asking about that) and would likewise not call tougher paint an upgrade (doubt that would happen anyway) as like omitting Homelink, it would be the normal build at that point in time. tbh, until legal process sorts itself out, I don't see Tesla changing anything other than minor tweaks that they seem to have already done. So its all about seeing where this pans out. At point of order, I wasn't aware of any issues, it was a minor thread that hadn't been updated for quite a few weeks so never noticed it. But its really blown up since I ordered and sme's have been drafted in to investigate and find if there is a real case to be answered.

rant
You know what. I ordered 1st May based on june/july estimate. Have been repeatedly told july more likely august, all fine by me, I accept its an estimate and delays happen. But now we are hearing September (not a great month for us to collect) or even oct/nov, all artificially created by Tesla by the way they are matching up cars. I would get a car quicker if I cancelled and reordered, but they don't do LR AWD so its not an option. By the time we get to Oct, we may as well wait to March and get another year out of it, but you just don't know what Tesla are going to do with their juggling of specifications.
/rant

Last edited:
Blue is not advertised as a multi-coat, only red and white. Ceramic coating is really an alternative to regular waxing. I had my pearl white Model X ceramic coated and it does make it easier to clean and no need to wax. But adds little or no stone chip protection. Not that I've picked up any significant stone chips at all in 24k miles, so quite impressed with the white finish.

Using partial ppf in sensitive areas is very common practice among professional detailers. For example you could have the sills and front end done for a reasonable price and it would be invisible. I haven't seen these "rubberised" parts you mention, will take a closer look when I have time.

But now we are hearing September

Have they told you that, or are you assuming that?

I know its all up in the air, but people seem to be hearing August ... so "might be for you too"?

all artificially created by Tesla by the way they are matching up cars

I disagree on that. Tesla have to deliver (best guess) 5,000 cars, and have to figure a way to do that. I suspect that Blue being 5x as popular as White was not something they knew at the outset, nor what distribution of orders-to-SvC, and Tesla could only guess until order book opened on 01-May ... all that has to be decided now that the orders are in. Hopefully all back orders will be delivered by end September

To improve your chances you need unpopular colour, Heathrow, all-software-options-upsell and to walk sideways always facing Fremont :)

If Tesla do admit fault/are found to be at fault, any corrections will likely be made retroactively for all cars (whether that is fitting flaps, adding additional harder paint in problem areas, offering PPF) so no reason to delay an existing order (even if possible).

If they don't admit fault/are not found to be at fault, then it boils down to do you want this specific car or not with this potential issue at this price point? If yes, no reason to delay. If no, the order is cancelled either way.

I don't see Tesla caring if you let them keep their deposit longer and not have a car especially as many have waited years.

Yes, except LR AWD is not currently an option. So need to keep current order open.

Actually, its keeping the current spec LR AWD which is the main concern

Just cancel your order, LR AWD will be back in 6 months time, its only the initial deliveries they want to try and upset the performance packages, I would only be concerned if you had wanted the current performance models/prices as they will change.

I think you have a bigger issue, which is your concern about the paint, well not sure if you have seen Norway's winters compared to here, its completely different and they always have snow everywhere, not that this is an excuse. We also have consumer laws so if the paint gets messed up then Tesla will need to fix it.

I know that many people are excited about this car and checking everyday for an update when nothing is changing and Tesla isn't giving any new informed information out, I would advise to relax and give it until the first week of August.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
... the paint issues that are affecting some euro countries that put a lot of grit on their roads - a bit like here in UK. Something important to long term ownership.

Not for a second doubting youas this is the first I've heard of this but how have these issues on European models with grit come to light since deliveries were only taking place in Spring? Which European country was it and do you have a link to a story about this? Sorry I'm an obsessive and I thought I had read every story on the Internet about Tesla!