Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will the battery last if cabin light is left on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You see ICE cars often cant start because you have left cabin light on all the night.
Now i have wondered how long a Model S can provide energy to it
If the cabin light is a 3W LED then boy...... you can do the calculation yourself.
Self discharging probably will be faster. haha

excuse me, which 12 V battery pack?
Just like an ICE the Tesla has a 12 volt battery under the hood in the back of the frunk under the plastic panel. Just like ICE's this battery is subject to discharge when a door is left open or a light is left turned on.

@VGER--Do we know for a fact that the main pack will recharge the 12 volt??? If so, why were there so many problems with the 12 volt batteries in the earlier models?

excuse me, which 12 V battery pack?

There's small 12V battery forward of the passenger footwell that's used to power computers and accessories. It's recharged as needed from the main traction pack, so no need to worry about leaving the interior lights on: back of the envelope, 85kWh divided by, say, 8.5W gives you 85,000 hours to remember to turn off the lights... :biggrin:

In reality the car draws significantly more than that even when it's sleeping so, really, the dome lights are the least of your concerns if you have to leave the car unplugged for a period longer than a few weeks.

Do we know for a fact that the main pack will recharge the 12 volt??? If so, why were there so many problems with the 12 volt batteries in the earlier models?

There were several issues that needed to be rectified.

First, Tesla ended up with a batch of batteries that didn't last all that long for the purposes they served. Replacement fixed that.

Second, Tesla found that the DC-DC converter's firmware was refusing to charge the 12V battery in certain cases (I believe high-temperature outdoor locations). Service centers flashed new firmware as part of a TSB.

I think there was something else having to do with charging thresholds as well that was rectified through software.

I haven't seen a 12V complaint in a long time.

It would last months.

Kitt, what is your purpose here? You seem to be always trying to find fault with the car, but in bizarre ways.

No, i was just amazed by this thought. No intend to make Tesla bad or so. OMG, no.
I mean you are now carrying basically a super awesome MEga battery with you. Now you can cook coffee or what else......anything.
What a pity that the Model S doesnt have a 230V outlet. LOL
ALso i like the fact that BEVs are super awesome party cars. Crank up the volume and make a party in the park.

No, i was just amazed by this thought. No intend to make Tesla bad or so. OMG, no.
I mean you are now carrying basically a super awesome MEga battery with you. Now you can cook coffee or what else......anything.
What a pity that the Model S doesnt have a 230V outlet. LOL
ALso i like the fact that BEVs are super awesome party cars. Crank up the volume and make a party in the park.

For safety reasons the high voltage pack (375V or so) is automatically cut off under some circumstances, similar to the interruptors on petrol lines in conventional cars. The 12V battery serves then to secure continued support of essential systems, such as emergency lights. It was certainly also cost efficient to have a 12V system to allow the use of common car parts (lights, wipers, sound etc.).

You see ICE cars often cant start because you have left cabin light on all the night.
Now i have wondered how long a Model S can provide energy to it.

The Model S is smart; once you exit the car and lock the doors (or they are on auto-lock) the lights fade to off, even if you you set them to permanently on.

BTW, the light in the refrigerator also goes off when you close the door.

This thread wasnt about making people worried.
Just a fun assumption. GLorifying the great holy battery BEVs carry on bord. :)
By the way the Model S 'could' carry around a big refrigerator.
Here in Europe an refrigerator energy efficiency class A+++(now we have laws for that :) ) with 100 l volume uses around 70kwh/year.
All it needs is a good insulation.

if you want to do a gross exaggeration its

85kWh = 85,000 Wh (gotta make the units the same)

85,000Wh ÷ 3W = 28,333 h ( the unit W cancels out leaving you with hours)

this equates to 1180 days or several years.

EDIT: oops copied the wrong number, i was calculating something regarding torque in another thread.

Last edited: