Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will this take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maaz

Oct 6, 2014
Torrance
Hey guys just wondering how long does this stage take? We’ve gotten installed about a month ago now, just curious from anyone’s previous experience we are with Southern California Edison.

1CFA5FA2-95AB-439C-9FF6-11E1760A4A6B.png

Provided Tesla actually submits your request, 2-3 days for SCE to approve.

huh okay, our inspection was a couple weeks ago.

Tesla never submitted my request so I spent 2 months in limbo until I figured that out. Note that I figured that out not Tesla despite several calls to Tesla requesting status.

You will get emails from SCE directly on the status of your PTO once Tesla submits it. If you haven't seen an email from SCE, you should follow up with SCE to see if your application is there.

@Maaz To give you some data for me in Orange County:
* Tesla installed my system on January 29
* My city inspected my system on January 30 morning
* Tesla submitted my SCE application on January 31 evening
* SCE acknowledged my SCE application via email on February 1 (Friday) afternoon
* SCE approved my application on February 4 (Monday) around noon.

I was worried about the SLA for SCE approval but, after checking the SCE data via the state's solar data site, it seemed like all Tesla/SolarCity systems in my area in the last year had only taken one business day which, thankfully, ended up being the case for me in early February. If you haven't received the SCE email for "Application Submitted" then you need to follow up with Tesla to get a status. I am curious to hear what happened (or didn't happen), so please let us know when you find out!

Also, as a heads up for you or anyone else getting PTO in SCE territory, I got my first bill for February (and part of March) in early April and it didn't reflect any generation data whatsoever, which they are now correcting, so it may be a good idea to contact SCE a bit after getting PTO to ensure that your account appropriately reflects as NEM 2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: tjka4231
From my experience, the hold up was always on Tesla's side. It stalled at every step and I had to call Tesla to get things moving. On the other hand, PG&E approved in 2 days after receiving papers from Tesla.

Curious, how did you confirm that PG&E actually got the paperwork? I've been trying to determine that in my case, Tesla claims they submitted everything to PG&E last Thursday, I'd like confirmation from PG&E that they agree, but the Rule21 contact PG&E seemed to point me at couldn't confirm one way or another, and they said their website won't show me anything since the docs were submitted by Tesla, not me.

Curious, how did you confirm that PG&E actually got the paperwork? I've been trying to determine that in my case, Tesla claims they submitted everything to PG&E last Thursday, I'd like confirmation from PG&E that they agree, but the Rule21 contact PG&E seemed to point me at couldn't confirm one way or another, and they said their website won't show me anything since the docs were submitted by Tesla, not me.

@woferry, I got an email confirmation from PG&E. Telsa held up my paperwork for no reason. I called them multiple times to get the ball rolling. Finally, got an email from PG&E confirming they had my application.

Hey guys just wondering how long does this stage take? We’ve gotten installed about a month ago now, just curious from anyone’s previous experience we are with Southern California Edison.

View attachment 395653
I'm also still waiting... going on a month since my installation was complete. As others have said, the delay has been on the Telsa side. They sat on my inspector-approved application for 2 weeks before I finally got someone to submit to SCE (I had to escalate to a supervisor to get that to happen). I've now been waiting (8 days so far) for SCE to give me the PTO. Not happy to have a $25k solar system doing nothing for the past month.

Tesla left a VM on my home phone out of the blue today, re-confirming (without any prompting from me) that they handed everything over to PG&E on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from PG&E, so not sure what to think about that (nor any clue who to talk to at PG&E anyway). Always lovely working with such big companies. :p

Reactions: Maximapolak