Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Would Battery Last? [hypothetical - sitting in gridlock]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would top off my ICE cars right before heading into a snow storm during a trip. Don't see why I'd do anything different for an EV.

Yeah it still wouldn't be enough for being stuck 27+ hours on I-95, that's just insane, though I can't imagine choosing to drive on I-95 in VA with a snowstorm in the forecast unless my life / someone's life depended on it. That's asking for a bad experience even if you and your car are 100% ready for the snow, when you're in an area where such storms are very rare and few drivers are prepared for it.

Reactions: SlimJim
I would top off my ICE cars right before heading into a snow storm during a trip. Don't see why I'd do anything different for an EV.

Yeah it still wouldn't be enough for being stuck 27+ hours on I-95, that's just insane, though I can't imagine choosing to drive on I-95 in VA with a snowstorm in the forecast unless my life / someone's life depended on it. That's asking for a bad experience even if you and your car are 100% ready for the snow, when you're in an area where such storms are very rare and few drivers are prepared for it.
Yep... when we lived there (although having lived in many snow prone areas), the rule was stay home. Although, it was great entertainment.

Reactions: rpiotro and tm1v2
Would really like to hear from anyone who was actually stuck in that situation in a Model 3.
A few years ago I was stuck in a snowstorm not moving for about four hours. That was in my Model S. I knew I was in a snowstorm (the falling snow was the giveaway) and so had charged up to 80% about 30 miles before getting stopped by a jack knifed semi. With the heater used intermittently I seem to recall going from about 75% to 70% over those four hours.

A few years ago I was stuck in a snowstorm not moving for about four hours. That was in my Model S. I knew I was in a snowstorm (the falling snow was the giveaway) and so had charged up to 80% about 30 miles before getting stopped by a jack knifed semi. With the heater used intermittently I seem to recall going from about 75% to 70% over those four hours.
Very similar experience here. In our 2017 100D X, we had charged to 100% and got stuck for about 10 hours on a closed I-80 westbound near Truckee. With the kids watching movies on iPad while also charging, the heat set to around 72F, and outside temperatures around 25F the X used about 25% in those 10 hours.

Personally, all else being equal like fuel levels I’d absolutely rather be in an EV with a decent sized battery in that situation than an ICE.

In my dual motor Model 3 without heat pump, I budget 2-3% per hour when car camping. The car holds about 65 kWh when full and typically draws 1-2 kW with HVAC on, depending on outside temperature. 80% - 20% would last me 20 to 40 hours of car camping with continuous HVAC. That can be extend by selecting a more conservative cabin temperature and/or turning off the HVAC in favorable conditions (e.g., daytime sunshine heating up the car).

This might be a lot of fun to get the curves for sitting in your model 3
on snowy days you just need a little car time. Charge you car up at different
temps say -10,0,10,20,30 F. Get a few movies, refreshments, and relax.
Driveway party.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
This might be a lot of fun to get the curves for sitting in your model 3
on snowy days you just need a little car time. Charge you car up at different
temps say -10,0,10,20,30 F. Get a few movies, refreshments, and relax.
Driveway party.
Shortly after getting my Tesla I did spend hours watching movies and Youtube in the car. For the next several days I had a massive pain in the upper back because my head was turned toward the screen while my back was flat against the seat. Since then I do not spend hours watching stuff in the car and whenever I watch anything in the car, I make sure I vary my body position frequently and consciously turn my whole body toward the screen, and not just the head.

I live in LA and was returning from a Vegas trip last year when I ran into snow on I-15 in the Cajon pass. I had recharged en route but had only 40 miles charge left -- enough to reach my destination. I was afraid the car would discharge before they cleared the road. How long would I have had before this happened? Model 3 RWD, 240mi

I live in LA and was returning from a Vegas trip last year when I ran into snow on I-15 in the Cajon pass. I had recharged en route but had only 40 miles charge left -- enough to reach my destination. I was afraid the car would discharge before they cleared the road. How long would I have had before this happened? Model 3 RWD, 240mi
40 miles of range is about 10 kWh worth of energy.

It would depend on your climate control settings. 6-12 hours. If you turned the climate control off completely and just used heated seats, you might be able to squeeze 24 hours out of it.

Reactions: Pasralph1