Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long?

How Long Will You Wait?

• End of 2021

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • End of 2023

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • As Long As It Takes!!!

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how long everyone plans on waiting for their CT. In my mind, I'm thinking that if I'm still sitting around waiting until Spring 2023 with no fulfillment in sight, I may look to move on to a Model Y or even a Rivian at that point instead of sitting around waiting, twiddling my thumbs. I'm so excited about this vehicle but have read the stories about people waiting for years to get their Model 3s and I'm not sure if I have that level of patience.

I’m on the Rivian waitlist as well as the Cybertruck waitlist but I’m skeptical of traveling with the R1T. Rivian is dependent upon 3rd party charging networks such as EA and I haven’t found any that are nearly as reliable as Tesla’s — and I’ve stopped at quite a few. So if the Cybertruck ships before EA and others are ready for prime time then that’s the truck for me. No matter how long it takes.

Reactions: Big Earl
I have a MY so I'm not in a rush for my tri-motor CT.
I need a CT (or truck), even if I had a MY, it wouldn't change how bad I need a new truck to do specific things (towing!) I really don't want to buy a temporary truck to get me by, but if the schedule looks like late 2022 I may have to go another route, or just buy a Rivian?

I’m on the Rivian waitlist as well as the Cybertruck waitlist but I’m skeptical of traveling with the R1T. Rivian is dependent upon 3rd party charging networks such as EA and I haven’t found any that are nearly as reliable as Tesla’s — and I’ve stopped at quite a few. So if the Cybertruck ships before EA and others are ready for prime time then that’s the truck for me. No matter how long it takes.

I have had no significant problems with CCS since mid-2019. For the last 12 month, I've been on the Tesla network, and it is not trouble-free as many people claim:
1) Tesla owners ICE'g charge stalls.
2) Malfunctioning stalls.
3) Long distance from highway.
4) Peak charging speed is very brief, the average charging rate isn't much better than a 150 kW hooked to an I-Pace.
5) Lots of trash around the sites.
6) Some are in seedy areas, some are very hard to find.

When I first started with CCS, EA was not around. The only 100+ kW charger in our region was the Baker EVgo which I was one of the first customers. But even on the 50kW ChargePoint, EVConnect, EVgo, etc, network is was not as bad as you read on the Web.

I've been on the Tesla network, and it is not trouble-free as many people claim:

I wasn’t claiming that the Tesla network is trouble-free, but all the points you mentioned also plague the non-Tesla networks. The main difference is that when I stop at a Tesla charger I know, without a doubt, I’ll be able to charge and be on my way. When I’ve stopped at Flo or ChargePoint or EA it’s always a crapshoot and many times I’ve had to find another charge station. I’ll admit that I haven’t tried any non-Tesla networks in California (no need to) and that my experiences come from my travels throughout the Midwest and Southeast as well as the west coast of Canada.

Reactions: mark95476
I am planning to replace my 2014 Model S with a CyberTruck. It would be ideal if I could get it by Sept.2022 when my Model S runs out of extended warranty and battery+powertrain warranty. Beyond that deadline, I will be taking the risk of costly repair or battery replacement if my Model S breaks down.

I have no idea how reservation numbers are issued, whether the numerical value means anything (since it is in the hundred million range, it cannot be a simple sequential number) and I also remember with my Model 3 purchase I had a pretty early reservation (day1-in-store), yet it meant very little when it came to delivery. A lot of Canadians got long-range RWD Model 3 before my AWD was delivered (delivery was prioritized by whatever model Tesla decided to make earlier rather then reservation numbers), and of course US orders were filled prior to Canadian availability. Therefore, I may very well have to wait well beyond my ideal trade-in deadline.

I have a tri motor reserved right when reservations were opened after launch. I was optimistically thinking end of 2021 but with the recent comments from EM I'm thinking Q1/Q2 2022 at the earliest. Therefore, I ordered some new off road lights for my Raptor to have some fun with it while I wait for the CT. Likely another year to go.

I've looked at Rivian's R1S and even Lucid. I'm sure both will be great, but I just know and enjoy the Tesla experience, especially the supercharger network. Maybe in a few years of actual track record, I'll give those companies another look.

Tesla’s history is that “good things come to those that wait”. Model 3 and Y finally got heated steering wheels and the heat pump. That was roughly a year into production on the Y

the late 2014 /early 2015 model S have most of the awesome features I’ve grown to love. The earlier cars missed out.

I will do my best to wait a year or so after initial deliveries. My P85D warranty runs until Dec 2022…

I'm pretty sure Rivian is building out a charging network as well as relying on the public networks.

Reactions: MXLRplus