Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How loud is AC compressor?

Should I ship my X to SC?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would rate mine as "annoyingly." My remote tech says it should be replaced, but needs to make the 3-4 day round trip to SC. I think that's more annoying, but if a loud compressor indicates a problem, I'm guessing I should have it done.

I would rate mine as "annoyingly." My remote tech says it should be replaced, but needs to make the 3-4 day round trip to SC. I think that's more annoying, but if a loud compressor indicates a problem, I'm guessing I should have it done.

The A/C is really loud, especially when Supercharging. I can hear mine roaring from several hundred yards away across a parking lot. Loosely similar to a jet aircraft idling at the gate. Without actually hearing it, it is difficult to say your car has a problem. But honestly, I doubt it.

If Tesla will replace it, then you should get it replaced. My loud AC turned into loud AC with weird oscillating noises. First SC was all "operating as designed. gosh, they're all loud!" Next SC was like "yikes, that thing's about to die."

Years ago the SC worked on the AC in our S and found that the compressor was resting against something that it should not have been touching so they adjusted it to move it away. It helped reduce the sound. They also either added or replaced a shroud over the compressor that’s supposed to help, too. My AC is still loud, but it’s not quite as obnoxious. If the SC is willing to work on yours you should let them.

Embarrassing loud here in the Florida Heat when I walk up to it right after attempting to "pre-cool". I'm going with it's normal for now. The real test is if the sound increases from 5k to 20k to 40k miles before the warranty is up.

The compressor is sometimes audible, but not terribly loud and certainly not to an annoying level in my experience.

The fans to pull air through the condenser core outside, those can get pretty loud when Supercharging or during the initial cooldown while not moving - jet taking off and hear it across the parking lot loud in some cases.

The compressor is a higher pitched whine when audible, the fans a deep rumbling whoosh. Which one are you hearing?

Thanks for all your responses. It does make sense to do whatever the one remote tech says. Definitely want to stay on his good side.

The fans to pull air through the condenser core outside, those can get pretty loud when Supercharging or during the initial cooldown while not moving - jet taking off and hear it across the parking lot loud in some cases.

The compressor is a higher pitched whine when audible, the fans a deep rumbling whoosh. Which one are you hearing?

I'd call it a whine, but not high pitched. It might be higher than a deep rumbling whoosh, but until yesterday I did think it sounded very much like a fan. It is definitely during initial cooldown whether moving or not. I probably won't get to a supercharger before my tow is scheduled, but I'll try to remember to pay attention if I do.

It's really as loud as you want it to be. To reduce the noise to a minimal level, just start the A/C at a high temperature (on really hot days this means one step below HI (27.5C). Then reduce the setting as the cabin cools down.

In my 2018 X100D its 58 dbA standing 3 feet in front of the passenger side headlight at waist level. This was obtained by cranking the interior temperature way down when it was 80 °F inside the car. As noted there is the compressor noise and the fan noise. The fan noise seems to dominate (this is the fan that blows over the heat exchanger at the front of the car - not the one in the cabin. 58 dbA is at the high end of the "Quiet Home" range and just below the "Quiet Street" range. For comparisong 75 dbA gets an "Inside Car" (presumbly ICE) descruptor.

The compressor clearly uses an ECM motor as you can hear it spooling up as the system comes on. It is thus possible that under higher loads (e.g. when it needs to cool the battery) it may crank up to higher power output with attendant higher noise.

To check the sound level of your car get one of the sound level metering apps that most smartphones have (I used DB X Pro on an iPhone). The result is not instrumentation grade but at least you can get a rough comparison to what I observed. Be sure to set the app to A weighting.

I wouldn't worry much if your sound level is near 60 dbA at 3 feet especially if it is smooth i.e. mostly the rushing of air. Clunks, bangs, low frequency vibrations, buzzes, etc. would concern me. Your description in #9 sounds pretty good to me.

• Informative
Reactions: MXn00b
Great idea. I got the free Android version, so had to test in Z weighting. Standing a little more than arm's length in front of the passenger headlight, I get 55 dbZ, with a peak at 70 dbZ. This might have been other sound or wind. The fan is definitely louder than the compressor. I guess it's the tone of the whine that makes it more annoying than the louder whoosh. I did note the pitch of the whine increases when it works harder, e.g. Range Mode off and LO temp.