Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How low have you gone on battery percentage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took 2400 mile round trip in my Model X. Couple of times, the battery percentage went in red zone before reaching the next supercharger. I was bit nervous, but never had any problem. The lowest percentage, I had was 5% and 14 miles. I am just curious about going to less than 10 miles range. Have anyone experience lower than 10 miles? What is the lowest? Does the vehicle go beyond 0%? If so, how long? Knowing this will help me and others, calming the nerves, if it happens again. Thanks.

I did 16 miles past 0 once (first day of ownership, I would not do that again), and frequently 0 right at the supercharger (more or less on purpose, using projected range in the energy window which is super accurate, given a constant speed / elevation / temperature). In my last 3200mi roadtrip with 20 isch SC stops, I found it more convienent to use the in-car trip planner and it targets 10-15% buffer for each legs. Its safer and more relaxing ;)

^^^^

I've found EV Planner to be a better gauge of range required and I adjust based on anticipated speed + weather conditions.

FWIW: this summer, I've found Tesla's SW underestimates about 75% of the time......if I project that there will be wind and/or rain in addition to heat, I overcharge by 30% and get to next location with little range anxiety.

If you haven't arrived at an SC with 1% as it turns to 0%, you aren't really trying.

:)

No, that is not a recommendation for new owners. For unfamiliar territory, do consider using evtripplanner's .csv file to evaluate elevation. Then after ensuring a reasonable buffer, say, 20% or even more if headwinds and elevation, drive conservatively until arriving is not in question. Then push it to arrive at 1% :)

Yes, living between 15% and 85% is better for your peace of mind and probably your battery - although most people won't keep the car long enough or drive far enough for battery degradation to become much more than a talking point.

• Informative
Reactions: Milin1609
Lowest I've taken battery charge remaining was 4% from a much longer than expected trip to Escondido from Orange County with 5 passengers... and skipping SJC supercharger on our way home after pulling up and seeing 7 cars waiting to charge (Sunday afternoon... typical from what I've read).

Made it home from SJC supercharger on "fumes" to our home at the top of Newport Coast on HILLY 73 Toll Road by significantly reducing speed, turning Range Mode "on", and lowering SAS. Definite "range anxiety" but adapted & improvised to make it home.