Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how low will you go!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 245kW from Trumpington superchargers after arriving with 2% but barely had time to stretch my legs before I had enough charge to get on my way again. Almost too fast!

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
What a great thread topic!

It was squeaky bum time when I was at 4% and 5 miles from home on the M40!

My wife was going crazy and got a right cob on... "Why did we get this car?, what if we get stuck on the motorway? I want a petrol car now, etc etc..." Strangely - I quite liked the Russian roulette tension... I turned everything off and drove like Miss Daisy... made it back with 1% for the last mile. She didn't speak to me for the next 3 hours... heaven!

Last edited:
Quick history story about range:
Back in early 70's I had a business car with personal use and petrol from the garage that boss had an account. I filled up one Sunday and took Girlfriend to Folkestone, parked and took hovercraft to France. Got there and France was mostly closed. Credit cards didn't exist, and I used most of my cash hiring a car and buying picnic bits for a drive up the coast, time on the beach etc. We got back to UK and started driving home with petrol running very low. Finally, had no choice but stop at a garage and search pockets and car for loose change enough to buy 1/2 a gallon and got back on fumes and the needle on zero for the last several miles. Girlfriend got her revenge - we've been married 48 years... plenty of time to keep reminding me...

I seem to remember I arrived at a supercharger with 6% once on a long road trip. (I prefer to arrive with at least 10%, but less than 20%. Faster charging that way.)

I think my wife got down to 5% on the way back from dropping our son off at college last Fall.

I know Kyle Connor on his Out of Spec Motoring YouTube channel routinely arrives with 1%, and once with 0%. 😰

I seem to remember I arrived at a supercharger with 6% once on a long road trip. (I prefer to arrive with at least 10%, but less than 20%. Faster charging that way.)

I think my wife got down to 5% on the way back from dropping our son off at college last Fall.

I know Kyle Connor on his Out of Spec Motoring YouTube channel routinely arrives with 1%, and once with 0%. 😰
Kyle also has many issues with the various non-Tesla chargers!

Driving home from Melrose to Lancashire today in gale force winds and often torrential rain. 1% left and a mile to go to Tebay supercharger.
22CF5D1D-15BA-4E83-97B9-63C8F592DB05.jpeg

We got back from Austria into Luton Airport at 1am and legged it up the M1 to get home and some sleep. Got home with about 10% left and forgot to put it on charge..... a cold night and when I checked first thing I had 2% or 7 miles left. Mansfield superchargers are 7 miles away! Off I set, no heating, eyes glued to the %/miles left. Got there with 1 mile left. Plugged in and nothing happened! Panic set in. Had I gone too low? Tried re-plugging in etc - nothing. Realised the stall may be faulty so CAREFULLY moved to another one, then charging started at a pace - phew!

• Love
Reactions: Beady3647
It’s handy that the last few miles to Tebay going south are downhill! Strong winds in the Borders yesterday… were your estimates affected?
The weather made a significant difference. When I left Melrose I was estimated to arrive at Tebay with 12%. Because this was already tight I drove slowly, to the extent that on the A7 I was overtaken by, among other things, a Citroen C1 and a Nissan Micra. Oh the shame! I charged enough to get me home with a predicted 24% left but in fact arrived with 13%. I didn’t drive over 70mph.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
The weather made a significant difference. When I left Melrose I was estimated to arrive at Tebay with 12%. Because this was already tight I drove slowly, to the extent that on the A7 I was overtaken by, among other things, a Citroen C1 and a Nissan Micra. Oh the shame! I charged enough to get me home with a predicted 24% left but in fact arrived with 13%. I didn’t drive over 70mph.

Yes, it's rare that the prediction is so far out ... winds in the wrong direction have a significant impact on consumption.

Reactions: Hurricane