Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many actually use Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

totoro722

Supporting Member
May 21, 2020
Oregon/SoCal
I wonder how many Tesla owners actually use Autopilot. Driving freeways in Southern California I see a lot of Teslas. Rarely is there a time when there is not at least one in sight. What surprises me is that very few seem to be using Autopilot. I guess that is so because those cars wander around in the lane, hug the lane line, etc. When I have AutoSteer on, I am centered in the lane all of the time. I see very few Teslas among many I see that are staying centered in their lane. I suspect users of this forum are more likely to use Autopilot and FSD, but I wonder if there are any statistic on how much use Autopilot actually gets.

Live in SoCal and never use AP (or Nav on AP) on the local freeways. Just on I-5 on trips north thru the Central Valley.

My main reason for not using AP is that AP centers in the lane perfectly, while no other drivers do. So when an 18-wheeler is encroaching on my lane and rolling over the Bot dots, I'd rather ease over a little while still remaining in my lane.

Nav on AP (I have EAP) is just a PIA, and wants to constantly change lanes when I can see up ahead that changing lanes is not the smart traffic play, or I will be exiting in a mile or so, and going to the fast lane makes no sense at all, particularly when I'm already driving the speed limit.

Reactions: Mark2018s
I wonder how many Tesla owners actually use Autopilot. Driving freeways in Southern California I see a lot of Teslas. Rarely is there a time when there is not at least one in sight. What surprises me is that very few seem to be using Autopilot. I guess that is so because those cars wander around in the lane, hug the lane line, etc. When I have AutoSteer on, I am centered in the lane all of the time. I see very few Teslas among many I see that are staying centered in their lane. I suspect users of this forum are more likely to use Autopilot and FSD, but I wonder if there are any statistic on how much use Autopilot actually gets.

There are statistics, just not public ones ;) Tesla has all the info but they're not giving that out.

Live in SoCal and never use AP (or Nav on AP) on the local freeways. Just on I-5 on trips north thru the Central Valley.

My main reason for not using AP is that AP centers in the lane perfectly, while no other drivers do. So when an 18-wheeler is encroaching on my lane and rolling over the Bot dots, I'd rather ease over a little while still remaining in my lane.

Nav on AP (I have EAP) is just a PIA, and wants to constantly change lanes when I can see up ahead that changing lanes is not the smart traffic play, or I will be exiting in a mile or so, and going to the fast lane makes no sense at all, particularly when I'm already driving the speed limit.

Yep - they need to work on "giving room" when there are obstructions near the edge of the lane. It's quite often acceptable or even encouraged to be closer to one side of the lane.

socal and I use it almost 90%+ of the time. But I agree with your observation many people don't seem to be using it from what I can tell. I don't have FSD Beta yet

I use AP in socal. Works great if you aren’t trying to drive 80mph+. I also use NoA but confirm lane changes manually.

Also in SoCal. I use AP or TACC set at 83 MPH in the morning and 78 MPH in the afternoon about 80% of the time on my 135 miles daily commute since 2018. I used NoA for like 2 weeks and gave up on it.

But I agree with OP that I don't think a lot of drivers of Tesla uses AP. I think they like to actually drive the car. For me, I hate driving. I have been driving my 135 miles commute for 25 years. The main reason I got my Tesla is because of AP. It is a life changer for me.

Reactions: tdiggity
I use autopilot most of the time on the highway. I only use NOA when I am on a road trip and there isn't alot of traffic. Even with FSD beta I turn it off and then manually merge onto the highway and then turn autopilot back on. The merging onto the highway is horrible and when driving in traffic having the car turn its blinker on for 4 seconds before making any move just leads to people moving into the opening. It would take me way to long to have NOA fight its way to the faster lanes of travel so I just manually do that.

Central Florida, I use AP/FSD 95% of the time on highway and city streets. While I still don’t completely trust it, I am comfortable using it. Heavy traffic and unfamiliar surroundings make up the other 5%.

Still waiting for the beta at 99.

I use AP and NOA whenever I can on highways. I find NOA works fine if you set your speed slightly slower than average flow of traffic. It's much better if it's not constantly having to pass people. You also can't have the mad max setting on. This makes it try to pass if it is only slightly slowed down by a slower car, which generally means it will try to pass and get stuck blocking the fast lane. If you set it to moderate it will have more speed differential when passline slower drivers. It still occasionally gets stuck, but not as much.

Reactions: totoro722
I love using Autopilot on highways. I love driving too, however going back and forth over the same route for years becomes tedious. Having Autopilot puts me in supervision mode rather than having to do all of the driving functions, which is much more enjoyable going over the same roads. I recently lost all autopilot functions during one of the FSD beta updates (10.4), and had to get used to driving everywhere again. I was glad to get it back with 10.5. FSD beta requires much more attention even than driving manually, so I tend not to use it when I have to get somewhere in a time frame. Like other posters, I find Autopilot one of the most desirable features of Tesla ownership, so I wonder why it is not more widely used.

I don’t know if others have noticed this, but I find that Autopilot now moves the car away from trucks and large vehicles while staying in the lane, recentering once I pass the truck. That is nice.

Last edited:

Agree its very annoying to keep cancelling a lane change....for the reasons you stated...a lane change is not wanted....this is the main reason I rarely use it.

If I ever get to use the FSD I will try it again...not anytime soon as I will never get to 99/100 safety score, a stupidly arrived at figure. You get knocked for the slightest thing...what is an aggressive turn?

I am still glad I paid for the FSD, as I am sure when its rolled out for the public, Tesla is going to raise the price dramatically.

I use AP/NoA/FSD Beta only for experimental purposes, i.e., I like to see how it is progressing. I much prefer to drive the car myself as AP doesn't do very well in fast soupy traffic or where packs are involved. On empty roads, it does fine.

Interesting observations from SoCal. I hate seeing people bounce around the lanes, it really shows inattentiveness.

Since getting FSD 10.4 I'm using it 90% of the time. When I only had NoA, I used it 50%+ on highways, but maybe 25% of the time on surface streets. It's fun to drive on the highway sometimes, when I'm in town. Driving out of ton, I'm using it as much as possible.