TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pkalhan, Oct 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get an idea of how many of you will pass on getting enhanced auto-pilot and full service driving. I have been conflicted on this since it was announced a week or so ago. At first I was thinking I was going to get the enhanced auto pilot, but now, I think I may pass on that and maybe get it later. Anyone else thinking the same way?

Thanks,

Kal

2. Kay Kay

Kay Kay Member

Not me because I was waiting for it impatiently because I ordered my MX on July 5th and I had heard about self driving coming so I waited for the delivery so I am going to take it.

3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

So you are buying it twice.

4. 22522

22522 Active Member

Hoping for a rent to own option.

5. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

For me, finances will define if it's turned on at purchase time, or some months/years later. I'm keen, but since the hardware will be there anyway it will be the first option I drop off the list if budge doesn't allow.

• Like x 1
  6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Here's the thing ... the general public knows two things about Teslas, ludicrous mode and autopilot. If you lack either one you're going to see some disappointed looks from people asking about your car.

• Like x 2
  7. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Just getting regular autopilot. Might get the self drive later. I like driving.

• Like x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I live driving but I don't like driving in rush hour traffic, not fun, plus it's easy to get distracted and bored.

9. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

That's why I'm just getting the regular autopilot. Highway and traffic autopilot are all I really need.

10. JSkrehot

JSkrehot Member

I could change my mind, however, at the moment I plan on just autopilot as it is already a usable feature and excellent for highway driving and full autonomous is not even guaranteed to be a feature you can use for years. The only time I do not like driving is any highway traffic or I-5 to Disneyland, autopilot will work for both of those situations so I don't see myself using the autonomous version.

• Like x 1
  11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I drive on this twisty two lane road on my way home after the highway, it's totally fun to drive when there's no traffic, but during rush hour even this fills up. EAP is not meant for non-highway and this particular road has a few stop lights, occasional pedestrians crossing the street to grab their mail, or the rare deer running across the road. So for me there's not much choice. Early morning and evening I'm probably tried and not as alert as I should be. I think self driving might be safer than myself and/or relying on AEB to save me.

12. jchau

jchau Member

you're going to spend 35k+8k+10K on a car because some people will give you disappointed looks?

• Like x 10
  13. DavidS314

DavidS314 Member

I think once regulated and proven to be reliable it will be the most sought after feature. I don't believe people who say "I don't need that, I love driving". There is always going to be mundane driving that most people would rather not have to be engaged in.

For me I love performance, but if my choice is between performance motors or self driving, I will take self driving.

14. Garlan Garner

I was going to check all boxes, however I'm not sure I'm going to click the $3K full out self driving box. I'm thinking that either Tesla or the Government might not allow it or have it available by the time I sell it for an upgrade in 2 years.

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

not intersted in either.

OP: make a poll and we can see how much I am out of the TMC mainstream. :)

• Like x 1
  16. alfagiulia

alfagiulia Member

I hate autopilot. I enjoy driving. That's why I like Tesla. Not to show off to my friends. Take the bus if you want someone to drive for you.

17. DavidS314

DavidS314 Member

Yes because when someone is trying to commute to work through heavy traffic its so practical to walk to a bus station, ride the bus through the same heavy traffic, get out far from work and walk the rest of the way instead of having a car that could do it for them .. Meanwhile you will love doing this bumper to bumper driving instead.

• Funny x 1
  18. Garlan Garner

Do you really think people are thinking of AP being a solution for bumper to bumper driving?

19. DavidS314

DavidS314 Member

Just using that as an example of one of the many great times to use self driving/autopilot.

20. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

#20 Sonny Daze, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    You don't have to believe it for it to be true. No AP for me. I used cruise control for the first time a couple years ago (and that was just to keep myself from speeding). I prefer shifting my own gears. If it were free, I might use it from time to time but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Even if it worked to prevent accidents it would be like riding as a passenger in a car with someone who's driving habits I didn't like. No thanks.

That is the number one reason I would use it (if it were free).

• Like x 1