Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ludacris is still #1 for me.
I think in Fast and Furious 8 they should have him drive a Tesla... It's being filmed in Cuba so I don't see that happening :(

ofnez-55acdaac2aa12.jpg

When I got my Model S back in 2015 I was extremely hesitant in going all in for lots of reasons. Tesla had a rather unproven track record and while the P85D would have been fun it wasn't the complete sports car that I could justify spending that kind of money on.

I also found the whole decision to be agonizing. Not just which Tesla to get, but whether I should get the best of the new world (a Tesla), or the best of the old world (a used Ferrari 430 or 458). It was going to be a second car anyway since I wasn't about to give up my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which is the vehicle that I identify the most with. Everyone has that car whether it's electric or ICE that fits them.

I eventually I settled on the 70D, and I don't regret that decision one bit. For the most part the Tesla experience isn't about quickness, but it's about everything else. The adventure of road trips, and the feeling of being in a spaceship. It's about the excitement the night before the major updates. It's about reading silly threads where some member makes a silly bet to pay everyones payment if the update is released on time. It's about bitching about the UI, and all the clocks.

If/when I trade it in on a AP2 I'm not entirely sure what I'll get. There is a massive appeal to the 60D because so much of it is a software flag that you can turn on later. Plus it comes with the 75 battery which means supercharging to 100% of that 60 is fast. There is also the appeal of the 100D with it's massive range. Sure it hasn't been announced yet, but it will be by the time I trade in my AP1 car in a year or two.

Here's the thing ... the general public knows two things about Teslas, ludicrous mode and autopilot. If you lack either one you're going to see some disappointed looks from people asking about your car.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S85 "classic" (pre 1.0 auto-pilot) car impresses everyone, regardless of auto pilot or ludicrous. In fact, when we show off the acceleration and then tell them it's "not the fastest one", no one says the power is not enough! Trust me, any Tesla is an awesome car. The general public has no idea what electric cars are all about, even a ride in my little Smart Electric Drive shocks people, they can't believe how quiet and surprisingly quick (for a very small car) it is. This community has such an EV educated set of people on it compared to the general public, it's hard to explain just how radical riding in an electric car is for the first time.

Reactions: JeffK
I hate autopilot. I enjoy driving

I love driving my Smart ED in the city, slicing through the traffic and throwing it into corners and such.
Our Tesla is a beast, in a good way, but I frankly enjoy driving the little Smart in the city. The Tesla is massive overkill in terms of performance and handling in the city, it's just not possible to hustle it on a city street without getting into highly illegal speeds before there is any "drama" or "enjoyment" IMHO. Therefore, a car like my little Smart with a much smaller performance and handling envelope is a laugh riot to drive in the city and yet stay at reasonable speeds.

Contrast that to the highway, I put the cruise on and sit back, as there's nothing to "enjoy" about a two hour drive on a multi-lane divided highway. The majority of our enjoyment is all the tech in the Tesla, the ability to just name a song and hear it for example.

So : My wife made it very clear to me, we're getting every auto-pilot-like option on our next Tesla. She tells me this all the time after coming home from a multi-hour drive in the dark, or in the rain, or fog, or ice, hmmm, practically every time she drives it without me in the car she comments that she'd like the car to drive itself actually, usually I'm the "auto pilot system" as it were, so I can fully understand where she is coming from on that, LOL! :)

So for us, let the car do the boring driving, I'll turn off that when I want to hustle it on a country road (which is sadly not often enough).

But then there are people like me who when they see a Tesla they immediately look for the badge...

"oh, that's an S60... I guess he couldn't spring for the good one."

Don't get me wrong, I love all Teslas and would be happy to have any of them, but as they say "go big or go home" ;)

I've been working two jobs just to save more cash for this so I can finance less. It'd take forever to save up to a fully spec'd the Model S, but the Model 3 is more practical due to it's size and a fully spec'd one is much more affordable relatively speaking. Besides a house, it's still going to be one of the biggest purchases of my life. I, therefore, plan to have it for quite a while and might as well get all the features they offer.

Now a more important decision... is there a "best" color? :D

I am 'curious' on the badge but I don't look down at the driver for having an S60 nor do I put the P100D driver on a pedestal.
It's a material possession. I care more if the driver is a good human being or not.

It's a first world problem but my biggest issue is the embarrassment of owning a Model X. Not because its a 'lowly' 60D but because its still a nicer car than anyone else we know has. I don't seek attention and I don't like people making assumptions on my wealth or in your case (lack of it :D).

I am thankful to all the individuals who made the base Model X possible for me and the upcoming Model 3 but smarter money in my opinion is still to go as cheap as you can on the M3 as I went cheap on the MX.
Always a juggling act between money, opportunity cost, investments and leisure. I've seen enough people here on the forums who obviously have more dollars than sense.

A few years down the line, I believe you will be getting much more car for your money once the 2nd/3rd iteration of the Model S, and 2nd iteration of the Model 3 comes along. The cheaper you spend on the Model 3, the less money you will lose from being on the cutting edge.

• Love
Reactions: melindav
I wouldn't dare to even get the P model. We have a new teen driver at home. I probably would put my car in valet mode before I let the kid drive. :D

Very possibly keeping my Smart ED when I get the Model 3 for myself. My teenage son has perfect understanding/clarity that he never gets to drive my wife's Tesla or my future Model 3, but the Smart ED, no problem, here's the keys!

When I got my Model S back in 2015 I was extremely hesitant in going all in for lots of reasons. Tesla had a rather unproven track record and while the P85D would have been fun it wasn't the complete sports car that I could justify spending that kind of money on.

I also found the whole decision to be agonizing. Not just which Tesla to get, but whether I should get the best of the new world (a Tesla), or the best of the old world (a used Ferrari 430 or 458). It was going to be a second car anyway since I wasn't about to give up my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which is the vehicle that I identify the most with. Everyone has that car whether it's electric or ICE that fits them.

I eventually I settled on the 70D, and I don't regret that decision one bit. For the most part the Tesla experience isn't about quickness, but it's about everything else. The adventure of road trips, and the feeling of being in a spaceship. It's about the excitement the night before the major updates. It's about reading silly threads where some member makes a silly bet to pay everyones payment if the update is released on time. It's about bitching about the UI, and all the clocks.

If/when I trade it in on a AP2 I'm not entirely sure what I'll get. There is a massive appeal to the 60D because so much of it is a software flag that you can turn on later. Plus it comes with the 75 battery which means supercharging to 100% of that 60 is fast. There is also the appeal of the 100D with it's massive range. Sure it hasn't been announced yet, but it will be by the time I trade in my AP1 car in a year or two.
I agree with most of what you say, but find it really hard to believe you would prefer to drive a Jeep over a Tesla.

But then there are people like me who when they see a Tesla they immediately look for the badge...

"oh, that's an S60... I guess he couldn't spring for the good one."

Don't get me wrong, I love all Teslas and would be happy to have any of them, but as they say "go big or go home" ;)

I've been working two jobs just to save more cash for this so I can finance less. It'd take forever to save up to a fully spec'd the Model S, but the Model 3 is more practical due to it's size and a fully spec'd one is much more affordable relatively speaking. Besides a house, it's still going to be one of the biggest purchases of my life. I, therefore, plan to have it for quite a while and might as well get all the features they offer.

Now a more important decision... is there a "best" color? :D
I'm sure most of us here look at the badge, but of course it means different things to different people. I would say buying any Tesla is going big. The answer to your question: black.

>> How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

Not getting either. Great features to have no doubt but I generally get things that I know will please me for a long time to come. And I am very careful not to put too much importance to features mostly meant to impress others and those features that will fail to hold value when the novelty of the new purchase wears away.

Also have to say this attitude of looking at badges straight away is a very ICE thing. I've got work colleagues who count the number of Audi RS badges they see on the way to work every day.

Besides, when you get your Model 3, it will anyway be better and faster than most other ICE cars on the road and it will be a well considered purchase because it will be kind to the environment and your purse. And most importantly, you can proudly say you were a part of the Tesla EV revolution that changed the world forever. Bragging rights to that - Priceless.

Reactions: alseTrick and JeffK
I'm kinda considering it actually.

I am a bus driver for my regional transit service and almost every day I start and finish in different parts of the city. It would be REALLY nice if i could, at the end of my shift, just pull out my phone and tell my car to come pick me up... instead of having to take the bus back to my start location.

Besides, when you get your Model 3, it will anyway be better and faster than most other ICE cars on the road and it will be a well considered purchase because it will be kind to the environment and your purse. And most importantly, you can proudly say you were a part of the Tesla EV revolution that changed the world forever. Bragging rights to that - Priceless.
Quite often, I tend to forget this.

It would be REALLY nice if i could, at the end of my shift, just pull out my phone and tell my car to come pick me up... instead of having to take the bus back to my start location.
There is a joy of driving , but sometimes you just want to be the passenger, this to me is where APv2 excels .

Reactions: Jayc
Do you really think people are thinking of AP being a solution for bumper to bumper driving?

Well, I do. AP turns my horrific near-daily commute on the DC beltway into a stress-free experience. Even though I'm paying attention to the road, not having to operate the gas, brake, and steering continuously is absolutely worthwhile.

I don't know about people in general, but more AP on the road would make rush-hour highways safer and more sane.

Yes because when someone is trying to commute to work through heavy traffic its so practical to walk to a bus station, ride the bus through the same heavy traffic, get out far from work and walk the rest of the way instead of having a car that could do it for them .. Meanwhile you will love doing this bumper to bumper driving instead.
It's really sad that Las Vegas doesn't have a sufficient public transit system. But it's equally sad if bumper to bumper traffic is the primary reason you drive a Tesla. It might be cheaper to move closer to work so you can walk or ride your bicycle. And if the traffic is really that aggravating that you would rather someone else drive you, then maybe you should try to find a job in a more commuter friendly place.

Does anybody know what's the dividing line between EAP and Full self-driving? Specifically, if you check the "Full Self-Driving Capability" box on the order form, when will you start getting features that EAP-only cars won't get?

Will self-driving features will roll out incrementally under the EAP option, only under the self-drive option, or will there be one massive Full-Monty self-drive upgrade? If it's the 3rd option, then I agree that it will take a long time and local regulations might cause it never to happen in some cases. I hope and expect it's one the former options, that it will remain a driver-assist capability in the beginning, but handle more and more situations.

I'm planning to upgrade my MS to one an EAP-capable one and definitely get the EAP option up front. If self-drive option-only capabilities start at or before the end of 2017, then I probably will pull the trigger and get full self-driving now. But if we have to wait two years or more, or they roll out some of it under EAP-only, getting full self-driving +$3k option now seems risky compared to +$4k later.