Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've asked several Tesla reps over the past couple weeks and have gotten basically shrugs. Finally, at a local showroom this past Sunday, I was told by one of the Tesla folks that the Full Autonomy version will be reserved for the ultimate end point, "don't have to pay attention", "drop you off and find a parking spot" version. The EAP-only option will be the assist capabilities leading up to that, that EAP will start including the city driving, making turns, dealing with more and more general driving situations.

Has anyone else heard the same thing?

If that explanation is true, I'm happy springing for EAP and spending the extra $1k (over buying it now) when and if full L5 autonomy actually makes it, technically and legally.

As far as I understand, EAP is just like the current AP1 but works a little bit better. I don't think city driving and making turns would be part of EAP. I think city driving and making turns would require the intelligent of Full Autonomy, even though it is not actually doing full autonomy driving. It would just need that many cameras and that much processing power to do just that.

As far as I understand, EAP is just like the current AP1 but works a little bit better. I don't think city driving and making turns would be part of EAP. I think city driving and making turns would require the intelligent of Full Autonomy, even though it is not actually doing full autonomy driving. It would just need that many cameras and that much processing power to do just that.

Thanks wesley888. Can you please explain the source of your understanding? As Elon had said, all new Teslas will have all the hardware for full autonomy, including cameras and the new processor. You get that even if you don't order autonomy or EAP.

Yea, I don't have any sources. It is just the interpretation of what tesla's autopilot site indicated. In the Tesla autopilot page, the description of EAP:
Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near

So, it's just like the old TACC and AP. The only extra is change lanes to exit the freeway. Well, it got the smart summon as well. So, it is just the better version of the AP1. Or what AP1 supposed to be.

Then the autopilot page further explain the On-ramp to Off-ramp, and also the Autosteer+. Under On-ramp to Off-ramp:

it would exit the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you

Under Autosteer+

your Tesla will navigate tighter, more complex roads.

So, that's that. City driving that require making turns was not part of the descriptions in the EAP section until you get to the Full Self-Driving Capability section.

I think I am out, being in Canada the exchange rate is killing me already, and even with a generous 14k rebate, these options are just adding up way too quick! Dual motors, bigger battery, sub zero, stereo, all glass roof, leather, autopilot and such is at the very bottom of the list.

I am hoping at some point maybe they'll sell some individual AP components like auto steer and such, because I could see myself paying something smaller for just autosteer, tacc, etc.

Yea, I don't have any sources. It is just the interpretation of what tesla's autopilot site indicated. In the Tesla autopilot page, the description of EAP:

So, it's just like the old TACC and AP. The only extra is change lanes to exit the freeway. Well, it got the smart summon as well. So, it is just the better version of the AP1. Or what AP1 supposed to be.

Then the autopilot page further explain the On-ramp to Off-ramp, and also the Autosteer+. Under On-ramp to Off-ramp:

Under Autosteer+

So, that's that. City driving that require making turns was not part of the descriptions in the EAP section until you get to the Full Self-Driving Capability section.

OK, thanks. I hadn't read Tesla's AP page-- I see the Autosteer+ description.

The only problem I still have is that the full self driving section talks about the final use-case. Level 5, Park seek mode, etc. It does talk about increasing the number of cameras in use, which would be required for any assisted city driving, though it sounds like Tesla's going to use the extra sensors anyway in shadow mode for data collection.

I guess I'm still hopeful that EAP will be good for something more than Autosteer+. I have a sample of one person that said it was the case.

I think I am out, being in Canada the exchange rate is killing me already, and even with a generous 14k rebate, these options are just adding up way too quick! Dual motors, bigger battery, sub zero, stereo, all glass roof, leather, autopilot and such is at the very bottom of the list.

I am hoping at some point maybe they'll sell some individual AP components like auto steer and such, because I could see myself paying something smaller for just autosteer, tacc, etc.

But that's the beauty of the set up. You buy all the stuff you want. Leave out the E-AP/FSD, but you will automatically get the hardware. Once everything is ready to go you can buy the whole thing for just 2k more (maybe more down the road, prices are subject to change).

When I bought my S70D that was a big reason we bought the premium package, it had extra hardware (powered liftgate). You can't add the hardware later. Software is able to be added after the fact. That being said I'm still planning on at least the E-AP. Still debating about FSD or to wait...

Considering EAP will change lanes for you and automatically take the correct offramp, I'd say it's better than simple lane keeping assist + TACC.

Not all off ramps have speed limit signs on them I wonder if it will remember the dynamics of off ramps you usually take and reduce speed accordingly. There are some where you need to drop down to 20 pretty quickly or you're going to flip over and others where you can stay upwards of 35 to 40 mph and be fine.

Not all off ramps have speed limit signs on them I wonder if it will remember the dynamics of off ramps you usually take and reduce speed accordingly. There are some where you need to drop down to 20 pretty quickly or you're going to flip over and others where you can stay upwards of 35 to 40 mph and be fine.
One would hope it will be designed to follow the same principles Sterling Anderson mentioned here: