Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are going to pass on the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Service Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A pessimistic way of looking at it is that Tesla will offer future promotions on upgrade to the auto-pilot for those who didn't pay full pop for it at time of original purchase.

"We really need to make an extra $100M this quarter".... "I know, let's offer 50% off the auto pilot upgrade, all we have to do is flip a switch to turn it on, free money!".

Wishful thinking maybe. My purchase of the AP would largely depend on whether or not I am getting the full tax credit.

It will only be collecting data on how the driver reacts to certain situations and how the hardware works in all different environments. It can't collect any data on how the actual software is functioning without being activated. Still, it will provide much needed data that will hopefully speed up the inevitable tweaking of the software once it is released.
Dan

What it will do is it will report back what it would have done vs the driver. This can be done without giving it control of the vehicle.

When training a neural network to "see" objects you can often test it with labeled data it hasn't seen before. This doesn't mean it's in production, it just means you're sending data through the neural network and checking the result. If it sees a picture of a dog and it reports houseplant, then you know there's a problem still. If it gets the answer correct for a statistically significant percentage of time then it's ready to go into production.

This shadow mode is what's going to be used to gather enough data to go to regulators with. it will report back whether the network would have caused an accident or prevented an accident in whatever situation it finds itself in.

In sum, the software is activated... the part that's not activated is the part where it controls the car.

Tesla’s new Autopilot will run in ‘shadow mode’ to prove that it’s safer than human driving

• Informative
Reactions: Dan Detweiler
I think I would probably get regular Autopilot capability up front to handle highway and bumper-to-bumper traffic at first. It's nice knowing that the hardware will be there if I change my mind. Maybe if I do a really long road trip (longer than 7-8 hours), I might consider having Tesla switch it on.

I think I would probably get regular Autopilot capability up front to handle highway and bumper-to-bumper traffic at first. It's nice knowing that the hardware will be there if I change my mind. Maybe if I do a really long road trip (longer than 7-8 hours), I might consider having Tesla switch it on.
At this point it's either nearly autonomous or fully autonomous - highway only isn't an option just so you're aware.

On my priority list biggest battery, AWD and SC comes first. then use up the rest of my budget on the fun stuff like cold weather package, better seats, air suspension etc. Budget will prolly be 60k tops.
Ludicrous mode and autopilot/enhanced autonomy is sorta on the low end to me. Live in norway and with our lame a** roads and winters Id feel more comfortable to drive the car myself :)

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get an idea of how many of you will pass on getting enhanced auto-pilot and full service driving. I have been conflicted on this since it was announced a week or so ago. At first I was thinking I was going to get the enhanced auto pilot, but now, I think I may pass on that and maybe get it later. Anyone else thinking the same way?

Thanks,

Kal

Getting full auto.

What is the difference between this 5k enhanced AP and the one before (that cost 3k or 2.5k a few months back)?

I'm getting confused by the seemingly 3 different options (although one is now not available) and all the price hikes.

(Ignoring the the additional 3k full self driving option for the moment)

I will pay for the enhanced autopilot because it has immediate and tangible benefit and functionality.

I won't pay $3k for full autonomy on a promise of future functionality that is ultimately out of Tesla's hands. Technology will be ready far before the regulators in most locales.

Here's the thing ... the general public knows two things about Teslas, ludicrous mode and autopilot. If you lack either one you're going to see some disappointed looks from people asking about your car.

Average Joe public doesn't know about either of those things. If they know anything at all, it's that Teslas are: A) Electric, and B) Expensive

What is the difference between this 5k enhanced AP and the one before (that cost 3k or 2.5k a few months back)?

I'm getting confused by the seemingly 3 different options (although one is now not available) and all the price hikes.

(Ignoring the the additional 3k full self driving option for the moment)

"Enhanced" because of all the extra sensors. More expensive now than it was because the hardware costs more.

Reactions: TesTaipei
@TesTaipei to add to what RMartens said - as far as usage, the new 'E'AP will look at traffic flow and change lanes without the driver using the turn signal if it makes sense to move over. Essentially, all of the controls from the time you enter a freeway until you exit. While the original AP would sit in the same lane until you told it to change lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: TesTaipei
We plan on getting the E-AP. Love the current AP 1.0, and know that E-AP will be much better.

Debating about the full-service driving.

Way I see it, if we buy it right away (3k option) before it is implemented it would be like purchasing a bond from Tesla, ultimately payable by their FSD system and potentially Tesla Network. If we wait for implementation, the price may go up (currently 4k after the fact). Also the 3k option theoretically would help Tesla develop this system. So leaning toward adding it with the E-AP on my next tesla.

Reactions: wesley888
The other point about the FSD (in my mind) is that the regulators are likely with Tesla on this one (to some degree). They've already sent a "cease & desist" letter to comma.ai (George Holz) and are essentially closing the doors to small scale autonomous car development. So who's left? Tesla, MB, Uber, Mobileye. Also Google and potentially Apple.

IMHO, Tesla is the best positioned to develop a fully self-driving vehicle which we can buy, rent out and use ourselves (I've left out NVidia, because they are together on this with Tesla at this point).

Uber will provide you the services, but you will not own the car nor make money from it yourself.

MB and mobileye, they might try, but doubt they will be able to implement like Tesla. Mobileye will have to find automakers to put their product into and work out deals for data and autonomy. MB might have a fighting chance, but they have lots of legacy costs that will prevent them from going all in like Tesla can.

Then you have other software companies, maybe Google or Apple. Of those Google has the best chance of developing something, but they need someone like Ford to implement. Apple is still vapor ware right now...

The other point about the FSD (in my mind) is that the regulators are likely with Tesla on this one (to some degree). They've already sent a "cease & desist" letter to comma.ai (George Holz) and are essentially closing the doors to small scale autonomous car development. So who's left? Tesla, MB, Uber, Mobileye. Also Google and potentially Apple.

IMHO, Tesla is the best positioned to develop a fully self-driving vehicle which we can buy, rent out and use ourselves (I've left out NVidia, because they are together on this with Tesla at this point).

Uber will provide you the services, but you will not own the car nor make money from it yourself.

MB and mobileye, they might try, but doubt they will be able to implement like Tesla. Mobileye will have to find automakers to put their product into and work out deals for data and autonomy. MB might have a fighting chance, but they have lots of legacy costs that will prevent them from going all in like Tesla can.

Then you have other software companies, maybe Google or Apple. Of those Google has the best chance of developing something, but they need someone like Ford to implement. Apple is still vapor ware right now...
Volvo is coming out with a vehicle in 2017 based on Nvidia's Drive PX 2 like Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Volvo is coming out with a vehicle in 2017 based on Nvidia's Drive PX 2 like Tesla.

Thanks! Forgot about Volvo. IIRC they are planning to roll out around 100 self-driving volvos in sweden for 2017. I am personally looking forward to seeing red-license plate Teslas in Nevada undergoing autonomous testing soon (hopefully).

Edit: Thinking about Volvo, they seem to be the vehicle maker of choice for Uber at this point. Wonder if they will be in bed regarding the autonomous aspects and keep the option from the consumer.

Last edited: