Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are waiting to order or postponing the delivery date due to proposed Tax Credit

With proposed Tax credit, how many are waiting to place the order, postponing the delivery date?

• Waiting to place the order

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • Postponing the delivery date

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • Placed the order assuming credit may be retroactive irrespective of the delivery date

Votes: 96 49.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell your SA you are not ready to accept delivery. Give them a date 5-6 months in the future when you think you'll be ready. Just do the basics for your profile like insurance and license and leave payment as cash. Hopefully they honor your 5-6 months without bugging yo but you will need to check your account occasionally to make sure a vin hasn't been assigned. If one is, just reach out and ask to delay delivery. If you never confirm a delivery date and they decide to show up and leave a car at your place, you don't pay for it and it's not yours. Tesla's problem.
Do I need to order through a SA to have that flexibility in the system? Or can I order online and then connect with someone?

If you order online you will be assigned an SA based on your delivery location. Although at that point they become more of a delivery person since you have already ordered. They are usually assigned once you get closer to delivery so if you have questions before, you should call your closest store and ask to speak to someone.

Reactions: Matt35
I feel similarly as above. I plan to take delivery in July when my state credit kicks in (NJ 5000), then take my chances on the federal credit being retroactive. At that point I am happy enough to have at least one credit.

I imagine they will be much smarter in applying any sort of discount/rebate/credit this time round. They learned lessons from the previous credit and manufacturer phase out. Most people that benefitted were those buying expensive electric cars, which is not the intent of the credit. The intent is to help bring the price of the car to within reach if those that might otherwise not be able to afford the car. I also think a point of sale rebate will be a lot less complicated to operationalize... No dealings/overhead with people trying to retro claim it etc. I also imagine they will cap the price of the car... e.g. full rebate for cars under $40K etc... And maybe phase it out as the car gets more expensive. Again, intent of the help is to help someone get into an electric car when they might not be able to... Not for a richer person (or whatever term is most appropriate here) think... Ooh, maybe I should get a Plaid vs. a standard Long Range (or any other 'upgrade') etc.

I'm in the process of deciding to buy a MY/M3 but still on the fence. Getting $7.5k-$10 would certainly push me over the edge into buying. Thinking about putting the $100 down and placing an order then put it on hold. At least it would be price locked and if I decide not to go through with it I'd only be out $100.

I'm in the process of deciding to buy a MY/M3 but still on the fence. Getting $7.5k-$10 would certainly push me over the edge into buying. Thinking about putting the $100 down and placing an order then put it on hold. At least it would be price locked and if I decide not to go through with it I'd only be out $100.
Tesla may also raise their prices though too. It’s a balancing act.

Hi All! This is my first post. I put $100 down to order a MY today. The tech told me that I may postpone up to a year? Has anyone else postponed six months or so? Is it really as easy as they made it sound. Reason I ask is that some of the posts in this thread make it sound like other less ... er ... straightforward strategies have been in play!

Republican Infrastructure plan released today would eliminate EV tax credit and instead charge a usage tax for EV car owners. So the cost to own an EV would actually go up. Id say we have a long while before we see any sort of actual legislation.