Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are waiting to order or postponing the delivery date due to proposed Tax Credit

With proposed Tax credit, how many are waiting to place the order, postponing the delivery date?

• Waiting to place the order

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • Postponing the delivery date

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • Placed the order assuming credit may be retroactive irrespective of the delivery date

Votes: 96 49.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In many states gas tax pays for roads repairs. And federally too. Since EVs don’t require gas they don’t put money in the road repair pool but they still use the roads and cause wear and tear. Just because it would increase cost of EV ownership doesn’t mean it isn’t fair. Gas is easy because the more you drive, the more wear you cause, the more gas you buy. To be fair for EVs (and in reality all cars) they should charge your annual registration based on the miles you drove the prior year and set aside that tax for road repair. Would make gas cheaper at the pump when you pull the road tax out.

Reactions: FJ60LC
Does it make sense for someone like me that isn't in a rush to get a new car and has no problem waiting to see if the rebate gets reinstated, to simply put an order in now to lock in the current price and just keep delaying the delivery? I am not sure if just rumor's but I keep hearing that the price will probably keep increasing in anticipation of the fed rebate getting reinstated.

Does it make sense for someone like me that isn't in a rush to get a new car and has no problem waiting to see if the rebate gets reinstated, to simply put an order in now to lock in the current price and just keep delaying the delivery? I am not sure if just rumor's but I keep hearing that the price will probably keep increasing in anticipation of the fed rebate getting reinstated.
absolutely. you could be price protected and save maybe a couple grand. Could also help you avoid a super long delay from a surge of orders later on. There is a chance it would only be for orders after a certain date, in which case you lose $100. $100 risk for some potential reward. I did the same thing last month, price went up $1,000 since then

Reactions: cusetownusa
That’s right. I think they actually call it a reservation fee. However, I did notice they credit it back to you in the final sale, so it is also a deposit, but only if you complete the purchase. Otherwise they keep it and call it a fee.

Not a true statement , “If you buy an electric vehicle—any electric vehicle—in the United States right now, you qualify for a $7,500 tax incentive.”

Not a true statement , “If you buy an electric vehicle—any electric vehicle—in the United States right now, you qualify for a $7,500 tax incentive.”
whats not a true statement? Tesla, does NOT currently qualify for the current 7500.00 tax incentive. Tesla cleared the phase out numbers in 2019. Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars

In many states gas tax pays for roads repairs. And federally too. Since EVs don’t require gas they don’t put money in the road repair pool but they still use the roads and cause wear and tear. Just because it would increase cost of EV ownership doesn’t mean it isn’t fair. Gas is easy because the more you drive, the more wear you cause, the more gas you buy. To be fair for EVs (and in reality all cars) they should charge your annual registration based on the miles you drove the prior year and set aside that tax for road repair. Would make gas cheaper at the pump when you pull the road tax out.
Yes, but the taxes and registration fees paid on an EV are more than a gas car, because of the battery cost increasing the overall cost of the car. Essentially, EV owners pay the same amount in taxes, just up front on the battery, versus later in time with gas.

Reactions: rjpjnk