TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many assembly lines in the factory?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DonPedro, Apr 11, 2013.

  1. DonPedro

    DonPedro Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    687
    Location:
    Oslo, Norway
    Does anyone know how production is organised in the factory? Is it all one line, or are there multiple, parallel lines? If multiple, how many?
     
  2. boilerbots

    boilerbots Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2013
    Messages:
    55
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    Based on taking the factory tour, there is one final line for assembly. It isn't that big either, only occupies a tiny portion of the building.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I guess I should point out that the building is huge and was told it is 3 stories tall, the chassis and drive train are assembled up stairs and the tour doesn't get to see that.
     
  3. AC1K

    AC1K Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2013
    Messages:
    468
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    looks like 1 line, they only use 20% of the factory, the other 80% is reserved for the gen3 vehicle.
     
  4. dsm363

    dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    18,235
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    I thought they said they only use 5% of the factory before. Either way it's a tiny percentage of the space they have to grow. Truly a bargain for such a big factory.
     
  5. wraithnot

    wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2012
    Messages:
    475
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    I took the tour on a Saturday and the main assembly line wasn't running. But there was still lots of activity- the huge aluminum stamping press was running, we saw a bunch of people making seats, and cars were running on the test track. The tour I was on didn't get to see the batteries or drivetrains being assembled so those may or may not be built on smaller assembly lines.

    The main assembly line itself was also really cool. Each chassis was on a robotic sled and the robots followed black lines on the floor. If they need to reconfigure the assembly line, they just have to repaint the lines on the floor. Definitely more high tech than the GM plant I toured in the 80s on a school field trip!
     
  6. shokunin

    shokunin P85 & S40

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Messages:
    960
    Location:
    Irvine, CA
    My perception when I took the factory tour, was it looked far less than 20%. Before you get to the part of the plant they are using, you walk through a huge portion of the old factory that the are using for storage and parts inventory. It looked like the giant warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Imagine dark, gloomy, rows and rows of pallets and crates everywhere. Then we finally hit the section of the plant that is all painted white, shiny, new and bright. While we walked through various areas of stamping, plastics, etc, it actually felt like they were just using a tiny portion of the factory.

    Now they didn't take us to the battery, drivetrain, or painting sections so we did not get a feel for the size of those areas. It's possible that the paint section is capable of handling Gen III production, which would reduce the need for another paint department.
     
  7. bellwilliam

    bellwilliam Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2013
    Messages:
    111
    Location:
    LA
    there was an article today, talking about in the heyday of NUMMI plant, it made 300,000 cars / year.
     
  8. boilerbots

    boilerbots Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2013
    Messages:
    55
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    For those not familiar, NUMMI is the old (generic) name of the factory building. This matches with the tour guide who said the plant at one point could produce 6,000 cars a week. I just can't imagine what it must have been like.... 12 times the output of Tesla's current rate.
     
  9. aronth5

    aronth5 Long Time Follower

    Joined:
    May 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1,436
    Location:
    Boston Suburb
    I posted this the other day

     
  10. jayfrost

    jayfrost Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Messages:
    105
    Location:
    United States

Share This Page