Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many cancellations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts are... "indeed" ?

There's a lot of cars on inventory. it's possible some of those were unallocated vehicles that were on GLOVIS CAPTAIN, but logic would dictate that some of them are last minute cancellations due to the economic climate.

Some of the cars are disappearing though, interestingly enough the £64k+ ones have gone.

So yeah, whilst pre-COVID19 cars didn't tend to hang around long on inventory, now they are sticking around for longer.

With the economic uncertainty and indefinite lockdown it makes sense that there’s a few cancellations. I thought about cancelling mine as it would only have cost £100 to walk away and come back for September but I was really looking forward to my first new car since 1997 (I usually buy used) and I figured avoiding petrol pumps was a good idea with the virus around.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
It is possible to postpone without cancelling. When I first ordered I was offered a car much sooner than I expected or was ready for so I asked if I could postpone a couple of months. They were fine with it and a new VIN showed up in my account around the new agreed date and I got the car about 3 weeks after that. Assuming they are still allowing that it might be a better option for some than giving up the deposit now.
Between ordering and deferring the order the price of an LR went up by about £1500 but they honoured the original price all the way through.
Coming out the other side of this there could also be short term measures like a VAT reduction to kickstart the economy like there was back in 08 that could make waiting an advantage. Silver lining and all that. Also the way the exchange rate is going Tesla may have to raise the price soon and if they do that on the LR then it will lose the OLEV grant so that will be a double hit. If you defer an order you may be able to keep your original price the way I did.
Not sure how many times or for how long you can get away with doing it but there is no real downside to trying.

It is possible to postpone without cancelling. When I first ordered I was offered a car much sooner than I expected or was ready for so I asked if I could postpone a couple of months. They were fine with it and a new VIN showed up in my account around the new agreed date and I got the car about 3 weeks after that. Assuming they are still allowing that it might be a better option for some than giving up the deposit now.
Between ordering and deferring the order the price of an LR went up by about £1500 but they honoured the original price all the way through.
Coming out the other side of this there could also be short term measures like a VAT reduction to kickstart the economy like there was back in 08 that could make waiting an advantage. Silver lining and all that. Also the way the exchange rate is going Tesla may have to raise the price soon and if they do that on the LR then it will lose the OLEV grant so that will be a double hit. If you defer an order you may be able to keep your original price the way I did.
Not sure how many times or for how long you can get away with doing it but there is no real downside to trying.
If you had a car order in that qualifies for the full grant as was and would not now, then postponing instead of cancelling has to be worth it if you think you might come back later - tho' I think there is a 9 month limit between being registered for the grant and getting the car - the gov might be persuaded to extend that in the circumstances altho' they have had rather an expensive month last month.

I originally ordered in Nov19 asking for an Apr20 registration to comply with the guidance for new zero emission vehicles (which they later changed, removing the restrictions on cars that had been registered already). They tried to give me one in early December which was a surprise. I responded by saying I wanted it in April and they apparently put a hold on my order until then - turns out it messed me up a little because the hold was never released when I said I was ready for it earlier and ended up buy a performance version instead (shame :D) 'cos mine was going to be June, or possibly much later as it turns out.

Re the vehicles that might have been in transit now showing in inventory, mine was an inventory car listed as being in Southampton when I ordered it, except it was in Tilburg or shortly thereafter so does not look like they wait for them to land before listing them. A lot of the cars that came on recently were noted as fleet vehicles, meaning they were showroom demos, which could have arisen from them selling off existing as new arrived on recent shipments? Dunno, as soon as my delivery was confirmed I stopped scanning the inventory for possible replacements to my order if it got delayed again - 'cos I have mine now - yay, still can't get the childish grin off my face every-time I go out in it..

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I had a model 3 Performance on order and was due to collect on 26th March. I by was then told by my employer that my hours and pay would be cut by 50% (before the government announced the 80% salary furlough scheme) so I called Tesla and asked to postpone. They had no issue with this and agreed to postpone for 2 months so presumably my car is one that would have appeared on inventory. I keep looking out for posts to see if anyone on here has mine but haven't seen the number plate pop up yet :p