TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many car lengths?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by LuckyX, Oct 12, 2016.

1. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

Using TACC/AP what's your preferred car lengths in traffic and open highway?

Trying to find a happy medium.

I'm currently at 4 while in traffic anything less makes stopping to rough.

2. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

The setting is not car lengths as it adjusts the distance based on speed. It seems to be more a time based setting, but 1-7 are arbitrary values, they don't correspond to seconds.

I use 1-2 in bumper to bumper traffic and 2-3 otherwise.

• Like x 1
  3. jonman

jonman Member

i find that the "car lengths" definitely varies as @CmdrThor pointed out based on speed. i tend to have it at 4 but at 90 mph the 4 turns into 8 and at 40 mph it turns into 3-4.

i'm always playing with it as the traffic changes on my hour long drive to/from work/home

4. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure how to call it as I just saw distance between bumpers.

5. Xenius

Xenius Member

I typically do 2-3 in slower traffic and a more comfortable 5-6 at highway cruising speeds. Unless I'm really trying to get my watt-hours lower, and then I might draft a truck at 1-2.

6. outie

outie Active Member

As an AP beginner, I am more comfortable using 7 to start. However since 8.0 I am using 6 now but that's because I haven't driven on the freeway with 8.0 yet.

7. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I like 7 -have settled into it after trying the others.

8. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

I use 1-2 in slow traffic and 2-3 on highway.

9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Greater following distances are safer, smoother and more polite. I try to start with 7, and that works great at high speed on an open highway.

But, yeah, in heavy traffic that can be too far and you just get a stream of people cutting in front of you. So sometimes it gets down to 1.

I find myself varying a lot, moving towards 7 when I can but back towards 1 when things get hairy.

10. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

+1 ChadS

11. Mknac

Mknac Member