Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many car lengths?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i find that the "car lengths" definitely varies as @CmdrThor pointed out based on speed. i tend to have it at 4 but at 90 mph the 4 turns into 8 and at 40 mph it turns into 3-4.

i'm always playing with it as the traffic changes on my hour long drive to/from work/home

Greater following distances are safer, smoother and more polite. I try to start with 7, and that works great at high speed on an open highway.

But, yeah, in heavy traffic that can be too far and you just get a stream of people cutting in front of you. So sometimes it gets down to 1.

I find myself varying a lot, moving towards 7 when I can but back towards 1 when things get hairy.

Greater following distances are safer, smoother and more polite. I try to start with 7, and that works great at high speed on an open highway.

But, yeah, in heavy traffic that can be too far and you just get a stream of people cutting in front of you. So sometimes it gets down to 1.

I find myself varying a lot, moving towards 7 when I can but back towards 1 when things get hairy.

+1 ChadS