Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many folks got a second mobile connector bundle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how many folks bought a second mobile connector bundle just to have a permanent setup in the garage (NEMA 14-50 of course not HPWC)?

I did not order a HPWC but I was thinking that a second dedicated connector in the garage might still make sense.

I got a second as I realized after my first one failed, that if I had been away from Milwaukee County (where there are public charging stations) and up north where I go EVERY weekend, I'd have been screwed and would have needed my car towed 60 miles to Madison to sit on a slow J1772 for 8 hrs to get home. Obviously, now that we have Superchargers (Were NONE around last year), it's a bit different, but it is cheap security. I also added in the 20 amp plug, a spare 14-50 plug, TT-30, and made a few custom adapters (to plug into things such as 240v Hotel Air Conditioner outlets).

I keep the spare coiled up in the pouch with the extra adapters, that one does not leave my car. The main one stays plugged into my garage when I'm home/in town, when I leave Milwaukee it gets un-plugged and goes with me so I have 2.

I have gone through, well, I am forgetting the exact number, but it was either 7 or 9 UMC's. The current one is lasting the longest and shows no sign of problems, and is going on I believe 6 or 7 months for this one. I've had my car 1 year 3 months 36,000 Miles.

One difference/change I made in my charging habits over time, now that I am more comfortable with my range (actually very comfortable), I charge at a slower pace. Starts at 7pm at home, and I set it to 20-25 amps X 240v, which gives me my 90% charge well before 7 am most days. If I really run er down to 0 miles and get home late, then I boost it up to 40 to make sure it's done by 7am (Time of use, $3 to get 100% charge off peak, would cost right now about $35 on peak).

So in other words, charging at a lower amperage, means less heat build up in the UMC electronics, which I believe has drastically extended the life of my UMC.

Last edited:
I was planning on purchasing a second UMC. But ended up purchasing a Clipper Creek HCS-60.

Dedicated permanent installed EVSEs seem much more robust and are way nicer. I would recommend getting the HPWC (and limiting the Amps if necessary) or another EVSE for home charging.

I only have 1 UMC. I'm on my third one however as the first 2 started getting really hot to the touch on the plug end.

I'm thinking I should probably get a HPWC for at home, but I'll probably wait until this UMC starts getting too hot like the others.

So in other words, charging at a lower amperage, means less heat build up in the UMC electronics, which I believe has drastically extended the life of my UMC.

How soon after you noticed the heat in the cord did you end up replacing it? When you ordered a new one, how long before it arrived? Just curious, as I plan for the future. Is it also possible that the newer UMC are built to take the current more? Or are they the same as the original one you had?

Same HWPC for the house & mobile connector for the road.

Yes, HPWC and a 14-50 plug at home, and leave the UMC in the trunk. I leave my various extension cables and whatnot in the frunk hole too. You never know when you'll need it..... uhh, I've haven't needed them yet. :)

But I think the concept of having one cord at home and taking another with you is the key.... whatever those cords might be.

Besides, the larger moving green lights on the HPWC are cool looking at night..... :)

-m

Quickchargepower.com handled the UMC wire stretching duties.

I ran a 40 feet JLong J1772 extension cord in combination with the 19 foot JESLA (UMC with a J1772 plug) to charge a visitor's Model S in my driveway this past Saturday.

Everything stayed relatively cool, even at 40 amps. Thats the longest ive personally done, but we did sell one at 60 feet.

I got a second one, after finding out that the EV prewire I had in my new condo was a 30 amp/220v circuit. The HPWC requires a minimum of 40 amps. So I got a second one, with a pair of NEMA 14-30 adaptors. I was disappointed, but turns out has been a satisfactory solution for now. Re-wiring the condo is possible, probably pricey, but has been unnecessary. I'm kind of glad getting two - I think the one I keep in the garage is having some problems.

It started happening last night, it's been clicking off before completely charging. Tesla Service checked the logs, and it was flagging the charing inlet on the car. However, it seems to have something to do with the twists in the cable. I suspect the UMC #2 is having some issues, and may be damaged, and having a second one is re-assuring.

I've had my Model S for 18 months and have never used the UMC anywhere but home. The only times I've driven with it in the trunk are 1) When I took it to the service center to get it inspected and 2) When I moved from Scottsdale to Denver. I keep it parked at an off-airport garage with a Juice Bar when I travel, so I just keep the adapters in the car.

YMMV, but with the SC network and its development plan, I cannot see a reason for me to keep the UMC in the car; or buy a second one.

I only have one UMC permenently installed in my garage. Everywhere I have, or am likely to go, (Palm Springs, Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara) has some sort of charging station available with their own cables so I don't see the point of having one in the car, for my travels at least.

Length of wire shouldn't affect the heat produced in the cable: the power lost will be approximately the same watts per meter. One possible issue is the voltage drop could be too large - this might cause the car to switch charge current to a lower level, or it might prevent charging altogether.

I've got just one, and it spends 99% of the time plugged in my garage. I've actually unplugged it more often for Tesla service (they like to check it) than to take it on trips. Many of the trips I do have enough J1772's along the route now that I don't even bother bringing the UMC. I only bring it if I know I'm going to be charging at someone's house.

I still have my original UMC from 23 months ago with its original 14-50 adapter. I also have Tesla adapters for 6-50 and 5-15. I have a kit of adapters to 14-50 so that I can plug into 5-20, TT-30, 10-30, 14-30, and 10-50. Anytime I road trip the UMC with all adapters travel with me and the MS. I got a deal on a new, in the box, HPWC from a dual charger buyer that didn't want the HPWC. After installing it in Pagosa, and seeing how great it is, I also installed an HPWC in Boulder. Both are on 100 Amp breakers and supply 80 Amps, although I usually dial the current down to 56 Amps to cut resistive heating in half and test both chargers every time.

It's a little loss in efficiency carrying some extra weight, but now that original UMC just stays in the back of the MS in case I need it. It still has the original 14-50 UMC adapter because Tesla never sent me a replacement and this one just does not get hot, warm but not hot.

I still have not figured out the current fold back algorithm. The only time it kicked in on me was charging on a 14-50 on a 208 Volt circuit at a hotel in Sedona. It was happy at 40 Amps for an hour or more. At dinner time, as activity in the hotel and restaurant picked up, it folded back to 30 Amps. Later that night, I reset it, the charging went back to 40 Amps and continued that way.

I just put in a new 14-50 outlet on the pump house near my pond in Boulder. With my 14-50 extension cords, a 14-50 to L14-50 adapter, and a construction spider box (6 20-Amp, GFI outlets), it's great party power, no generators!!! To test the 14-50 install, I drove my MS out there and charged at 40 Amps with the UMC. The Voltage with 0 Amps is my usual, Boulder 245 Volts, but because of the long power feed out to the pump house, at 40 Amps, the Voltage dropped to 230. Even with that 15 Volt drop, I charged at 40 Amps for over 20 minutes with not problems. BTW, charging the MS is a great test load for new electric connections.

I only have one UMC permenently installed in my garage. Everywhere I have, or am likely to go, (Palm Springs, Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara) has some sort of charging station available with their own cables so I don't see the point of having one in the car, for my travels at least.

That works for California, but in Texas and the prairie states, the 14-50 is really the only thing you can count on because there are RV parks everywhere. All the J1772s around here are so close to home that there's no reason to use them (and they're all 30 amp, so they are slow). Even after Tesla builds the initial routes, there will still be many routes (mostly the interesting ones) without Superchargers.

But like Doug, mostly my UMC is in the garage. I only take it with me when I go on trips.