TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many have had the "7 O'clock Stalker"?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ugliest1, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

This is different from a Tesla Moment or Tesla Time because there's no interaction. So, you're driving along at whatever constant speed in a 2+ lane highway (or roadway) and a vehicle (car, truck, whatever) catches up to you from way behind, moves to or is already in the lane to your left, and then stays in the 7 o'clock position for a few minutes, before accelerating, passing, and going away. I haven't seen a lot of finger-pointing or obvious discussion, but I'm sure they're checking out the car.

Anyone else notice an uptick with similar driver behaviour?

2. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

happens to me a lot...

3. andydoty

andydoty Member

I usually watch for the cell phone to come out. Then I see the white light flash....

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I think the better question is does this ever NOT happen to anyone every single time you take the car out?

5. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

This happens to me a lot. Although I find many hang out right beside the car at the 9:00 position. My wife makes a game of it to count how many rubber neckers we have during a trip.
    I don't mind, except when I want to change into their lane, and can't...then they get to see the car accelerate :biggrin:
    Anything from 18 wheelers to motorcycles have done this behaviour to check out the car.

6. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Oh yeah! All the time. I love to see them craning their necks to look at the front of the car to try to figure out what it is. I have had people pull up to the 9 o'clock position and roll down windows at 70 MPH to scream: "What kinda car is that?" My wife wants to make me a sign that says, "It's a Tesla!!"

7. Keysh2oboy

Keysh2oboy Member

Love this thread idea.

Happens to me everyday it seems.

I think the other drivers feel 'invisible' in that zone as they take long stares and snap pics. But, news flash...... We see you. :wink:

8. Kraken

Kraken Member

i still take my time behind/passing one just because they are pretty. When I'm in my other car, I'm sure people think that I'm curious what kind of car it is....

9. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yes it happens a lot. The funny part to me is that after over a year I forget. I find myself wondering "what's that guy doing?" Then I remember, "Oh yeah, I'm driving a Model S." :smile:

10. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

This happens all the time in the Roadster.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Happens a lot, and would be a good case for a blind spot alert feature on the car. I will see the car coming up from behind to the left, then it just disappears (i.e. doesn't go past). I have to look over my shoulder to see what's going on. Sometimes it's annoying because I'm waiting for the guy to go past so I can move over to the left and overtake a slower car in front.

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

Driving along toward Fremont, about a year and a half ago, doing about 65 (which is definitely suspicious behavior in CA) I saw a motorcycle CHP coming up on me from way back doing about 95 in the fast lane. All of a sudden he pulls over behind me, slows down and just sits there. After a few seconds, he pulls slowly along side, head turned all the way past. Gets about 20 feet in front, turns and takes a loooonng look back (No front plates!), and then quickly jacks it back up to near 100 and is gone. Milli and I watched him all the way around, and had a good laugh.

13. Gastogne

Gastogne Member

They are probably just driving over there. The Tesla Model S isn't that special...

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Nope. I regularly have cars coming up behind and to the left going significantly faster than me only to slow down and match my speed at the 7 o'clock position for a bit before accelerating past me. I don't ever recall getting this in any of my other cars. It is actually kinda annoying because they usually sit in my blind spot doing this.

15. HHHH

HHHH Member

I've had some other noteworthy cars, but nothing gets attention like the Model S. I even got black to be in stealth mode, but it still gets looks often.

16. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Aha! A "7 O'clock Stealth Stalk"!

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I was going to say... you want stalkers? Drive a Roadster. The weirdest ones are the guys who "orbit" you on a multi-lane highway so they can film you from all angles.

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Be sure you add to the bottom "It's made by Tesla. No, not GM or Ford or Chrysler. Tesla."

19. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

#19 EdA, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Had this happen this past weekend.

I have a laminated 8 1/2" x 11" info card (thanks Lielani) made up and on the back I have in a big font:

www.teslamotors.com / 100% electric!

When I describe the car to people I usually say it is 1000% electric though!

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Or Tesla. :)

(Enough people apparently think it's Telsa like Tulsa that it's common both in typo and in language!)