Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many have had the "7 O'clock Stalker"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is always a fun conversation in the style of "who's on first?"

Random person: what kind of car is that?
Me: It's a Tesla
RP: I mean, who makes it?
Me: Tesla
RP: Yah, but which company actually builds the car?

and so on.

What I do now is answer the question by saying "It's a Model S", when they ask who makes it, I say "Tesla". They may say something like "I've never heard of Tesla", but it certainly shortens the conversation and steers it in the right direction.

I had more than the normal 6, 7, and 8-o'clocks today.

When I got home, I noticed the charger door was open because the double-stick tape adhesive that was holding the round metal piece on the door was no longer attached. This is the second time this has happened. I tried using 3M double-stick foam tape the first time. Now, I'm going to use epoxy. :mad:

I had more than the normal 6, 7, and 8-o'clocks today.

When I got home, I noticed the charger door was open because the double-stick tape adhesive that was holding the round metal piece on the door was no longer attached. This is the second time this has happened. I tried using 3M double-stick foam tape the first time. Now, I'm going to use epoxy.
had mine chime off the other week... Quick fix for the service center. Let them do it, it'll last longer

Probably not here in the Bay Area especially around my town with what it seems to be every other car. (Slight exaggeration but it seems like when I go pick up my kids there are more Model S than any other single model except some SUVs)

had mine chime off the other week... Quick fix for the service center. Let them do it, it'll last longer

Mine popped off about the second week. I used Cyanoacrylate -- super glue. It has held for over a year and a half, and I didn't waste more than a minute putting it on. Did not need to bother with the Service Center.

When it happened to me, I think it was about the first time it had happened for Tesla. When I emailed them, they didn't know what to use. So I used what I had.

Probably not here in the Bay Area especially around my town with what it seems to be every other car. (Slight exaggeration but it seems like when I go pick up my kids there are more Model S than any other single model except some SUVs)
I've heard that mentioned a few times. The funny thing is I was just in the Mountain View / Sunnyvale / Fremont area for 3.5 days, and saw fewer than 10 on the road, including one Roadster. Maybe 50 in the shareholder meeting place parking lot, so we know they exist; or, perhaps I was too far south. However, I did see Elon Musk in person on the stage so maybe that counts for something! :)

I've heard that mentioned a few times. The funny thing is I was just in the Mountain View / Sunnyvale / Fremont area for 3.5 days, and saw fewer than 10 on the road, including one Roadster. Maybe 50 in the shareholder meeting place parking lot, so we know they exist; or, perhaps I was too far south. However, I did see Elon Musk in person on the stage so maybe that counts for something! :)

Depends on the time of day too. On weekdays, during commute hours, it's practically a Model S parade on 101 in the carpool lanes in both directions with some LEAFs and Volts thrown in.

This happens all the time in the Roadster.

I was going to say... you want stalkers? Drive a Roadster. The weirdest ones are the guys who "orbit" you on a multi-lane highway so they can film you from all angles.

Amen. And a Roadster is still the draw with a group of Model S around, in my experience.

Never happens anymore in the Bay Area. Seems like every other person owns a Model S.

Nope. Roadster still gets plenty of stalkers in the Bay Area. (Model S isn't the only car Tesla made, though plenty of people on TMC forget that. :) )

You're lucky if it's 7 o'clock. Where I live, they love to pass on the right.
Nitpicker's corner: If you're getting passed while you're in the passing lane, you're probably using the passing lane incorrectly.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tesla logo isn't very obvious, so people get close trying to figure out what it is. I've found a Tesla license plate holder helps with that.
I wonder if this could be used as an argument for getting an insurance discount when installing a lighting mod (cue ArtSci).

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't really noticed this behaviour before, but after reading this thread, I noticed on my drive home from work;

I was driving in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway, caught up with a large black SUV thing,
Signaled, changed to left lane (all nice and safe) continued past BSUV,
Returned to middle lane (so far all is normal, right?)
Seconds later, I see in the rear view mirror, same BSUV is approaching ... FAST!
BSUV changes to left lane and disappears into blind spot, stays there for maybe 1/2 minute before accelerating past me.

This is always a fun conversation in the style of "who's on first?"

Random person: what kind of car is that?
Me: It's a Tesla
RP: I mean, who makes it?
Me: Tesla
RP: Yah, but which company actually builds the car?

and so on.
"3rd base!"

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Roadster still gets plenty of stalkers in the Bay Area. (Model S isn't the only car Tesla made, though plenty of people on TMC forget that. :) )
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out when the Model X starts getting delivered.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out when the Model X starts getting delivered.

My guess is that in the Bay Area, the X will be unique in the beginning and then quickly go the way of the Model S (with every other vehicle in the car pool lane, an S or an X). The numbers for the Model S (and soon the X) just keep going up. There are a few less Roadsters out on the road every year, unfortunately.

I've experienced the 7, 6, and 5 o'clock stalkers. Also fun to read lips at the stop lights. Watch the passenger. They'll lip "what's that?" Then one of them will lean forward. Some then pull out their phones to take a shot.

Favorite thing I like to tell people in the parking lots is that it's American-made. That goes over really well in Chesterfield County, VA. Once you tell them it's made in America they think you're an American Hero or something. They don't even care that it's made in Hippieland California!

FTR, this is the first American car I've ever owned.

One time on a 3-lane road with me in the middle lane a young couple raced up behind me, hung back for a few minutes, then moved to 5:00 position a few minutes, back behind me, then moved to the 7:00 position, before pulling all they way around in front of me. All the time the female passenger was apparantly recording this on her iPhone.

Turns out we were headed to the same store where they approached me. After 15-minutes of TeslaTime, I showed them the James Bond screen by TeslaTap, to which I said "I got these accessories (rocket launcher, nails, oil slick, etc.) because I have to be careful whose follwoing me." They asked "what, why?". I told them I am witness protection and I was preparing to drop the nails with them behind me, but after watching them via the rear-view camera and running the facial recognition software, I learned they were innocent civilians so I held off destroying them." The guy was laughing, but the look on his wife's face was priceless.