Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many have P90D no premium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems the VIN assignment is now skipping those who have P90D and no premium, and going to process the 90Ds w/ premium next.

Curious how many actually "upgraded" to P90D during the order process, thinking they could get the car sooner (like me)? Maybe it's time to downgrade to a 90D w/ premium!

Speechless....

Me. I ordered a P and did not get premium as it was told on the website when you placed your order that a P would be delivered before a non P. Speechless here as well....

You were not told that a P would be delivered before a non P. P90D orders were given an estimate of "Early 2016" and 90Ds "Mid 2016". We all know Tesla Time can mean just about anything and I wouldn't be surprised to see 90Ds delivered in April and some P90Ds pushed out past that. After all there are still Signature owners that haven't received their car yet production deliveries are happening.

Seriously- you are going to defend this? As far as the signature owners that haven't received their cars- that sucks even worse but it doesnt make whats happening right.

I'm not defending it or saying it is right, all I am saying is Tesla goes out of their way to not make firm promises because they would rarely deliver on them. And although it seemed like your reservation number, confirmation date, or the options you choose would make a difference, they go and issue a bunch of VINs to 90D orders just because they are located in California. The same thing happened with the Model S if I remember correctly, Tesla wanted the early vehicles close to home so they could fix things faster.

All I am basically saying is there are many variables that Tesla has not revealed to the public which go in to prioritizing production order.

It's true that there's no guarantee timeline but the expectation is if my reservation number is 1000 and I order a P90d, I will get the car sooner than a person with reservation #999 and 90d, and certainly sooner than a person with reservation 20000 and 90d. This turns out to be not the case which is ludicrous.

It seems the VIN assignment is now skipping those who have P90D and no premium, and going to process the 90Ds w/ premium next.

Curious how many actually "upgraded" to P90D during the order process, thinking they could get the car sooner (like me)? Maybe it's time to downgrade to a 90D w/ premium!

Speechless....
This suggests that they have ample parts for and have finalized the manufacturing/spot-welding/assembly process for the non-performance 90D drive train and control systems (and the fixed spoiler on the 90D), but perhaps have not done the same for a Model X variation without all the stuff that goes into the premium upgrades package. All of the Founders and Sigs had the premium package, so that means they could concentrate on a fairly small pool of options in order to produce all the Sigs and Founders cars. Maybe programming the robots to make an X without ventilated seats (and the necessary plumbing), without the LED accent lights and fog lights, and without the HEPA filter and dual-activated carbon filters was more difficult than just switching over to the 90D drive train so they could satisfy some early orders for those?

Or maybe it's a parts issue? If I had to speculate, I'd guess that it's the ventilated seats (or technically the non-ventilated seats) that are holding things up. Tesla brought the seat manufacturing in house for the X and the seats were known to be one of the factors behind the production delay. I'll bet they made a whole lot of the ventilated front seats (for Founders, Sigs and fully loaded P90Ds) but didn't anticipate high demand for the non-premium front seats among early production P90D reservations. So now they have to make a batch of those. Speculation, but certainly possible.

Good news for those who are waiting for 90Ds. Not so good for those waiting for P90Ds without the PUP. But like all things, this too shall pass...

This suggests that they have ample parts for and have finalized the manufacturing/spot-welding/assembly process for the non-performance 90D drive train and control systems (and the fixed spoiler on the 90D), but perhaps have not done the same for a Model X variation without all the stuff that goes into the premium upgrades package. All of the Founders and Sigs had the premium package, so that means they could concentrate on a fairly small pool of options in order to produce all the Sigs and Founders cars. Maybe programming the robots to make an X without ventilated seats (and the necessary plumbing), without the LED accent lights and fog lights, and without the HEPA filter and dual-activated carbon filters was more difficult than just switching over to the 90D drive train so they could satisfy some early orders for those?

Or maybe it's a parts issue? If I had to speculate, I'd guess that it's the ventilated seats (or technically the non-ventilated seats) that are holding things up. Tesla brought the seat manufacturing in house for the X and the seats were known to be one of the factors behind the production delay. I'll bet they made a whole lot of the ventilated front seats (for Founders, Sigs and fully loaded P90Ds) but didn't anticipate high demand for the non-premium front seats among early production P90D reservations. So now they have to make a batch of those. Speculation, but certainly possible.

Good news for those who are waiting for 90Ds. Not so good for those waiting for P90Ds without the PUP. But like all things, this too shall pass...

It that's the case, how about a simple email communicating the delay to those with non-premium package and allow everyone to either change or wait? Simply skipping us is not the right/fair/respectful way to manage your customers!

It that's the case, how about a simple email communicating the delay to those with non-premium package and allow everyone to either change or wait? Simply skipping us is not the right/fair/respectful way to manage your customers!
I agree that better communication would be helpful. I had a reservation in the 3,000s, confirmed 12/2/15 for a 90D. I couldn't decide between Premium or not. If I knew what the delivery time frame would be for each version, I could make a more informed decision.

Tesla wanted the early vehicles close to home so they could fix things faster.

That seems smart, and in retrospect, should have been obvious to me (but wasn't; perhaps I also wanted to see some winter experience (which they can't get in California since we have no serious winter)).

Edit: This just shows me how important individualization in the orders for Model X are. Some people don't select the premium features (PUP). As for myself, I can't imagine buying an X without them. It's becoming one of my deciding factors; those features are only available on X, along with towing, and I can hardly wait to order one (6 seater, blue or pearl white, light interior colors, least expensive biggest tire wall rim size (maximum towing and minimum pothole effect), best audio; only choice left is Performance or not).

Last edited:
I agree that better communication would be helpful. I had a reservation in the 3,000s, confirmed 12/2/15 for a 90D. I couldn't decide between Premium or not. If I knew what the delivery time frame would be for each version, I could make a more informed decision.
I was in the exact spot as you at the same time and made the same decision. Unfortunately, that means no VIN for me either.
I guess the real question is whether changing the config now would get us our cars sooner.
My DS alluded that it wouldn't, but I'm not convinced.

That would be nice. But it doesn't seem to be Tesla's style. They didn't do that with the 22" Onyx wheels. I think they want people to order what they want to order so they'll be happy with their car long term. And supply issues can be tricky. When Sigs were originally ordering the Cold Weather package, they were warned that this might cause a delay in delivery. Then later they were told it wouldn't cause a delay (in hindsight, this was probably because other issues were delaying the car even more than the cold weather package). If Tesla published a note in the design studio or sent out an e-mail saying "not ordering the Premium Upgrades Package may cause a delay in your delivery," how do you think people would react to that? I don't think the general reaction would be positive. I could see the headlines now... "Tesla's Extortionary sales practices!" "Want a Tesla Model X Quick? Better Order All the Options!"

And BTW, I'm just speculating based on available information. I could be completely off-base as to why these 90Ds are getting VIN assignments ahead of some P90D orders. Have you called your DS about it? Maybe he or she could make some calls on your behalf?

-CB

Speechless....

@NoVIN4Me

They never even finished the list of buyers with P90D with premium and autopilot options. All of the VINs issued this week were for 90D with premium and autopilot but only going to California. I think there were 500 VINs issued.

Speechless....

Based on ModelXTracker 78% of the P90D orders have the premium option. The two options which were key were premium and autopilot. Almost everyone who ordered a P90D and chose premium also chose autopilot. My opinion is they had not even finished the P90D with Premium/Autopilot before they moved to the 70D with Premium/Autopilot and who were taking delivery in California. Some people's opinion is it is because they are trying to get cars to California residence as there is a EV tax rebate expiring in California at the end of the month. A second opinion is they are trying to push cars through to those living in CA to help quarterly production throughput. It would take too long to transport cars out of state and meet the end of the quarter deadline. Maybe both are true. One post says they are calling those who ordered 70D with premium and autopilot and taking delivery in CA and asking them if they want to upgrade and telling them if they do they will get their car before the end of March. At least before last week there was a rhyme and reason behind the madness. Now you can no longer predict what they are going to do next. Hope this helps.

Non-performance non-Premium 90D here - just got a VIN! 22xx

I just got VIN 24xx as well... for a non-premium P90DL configured in late December. I took the bait to spend $30k extra to get the car a quarter sooner than if I chose a 90D. Looks like that was just a ruse by Tesla to wring more money out of me. You are located in the same city and did order a bit earlier than I so I think it is totally fair that you might get your car sooner if that was how we were told the process is going to work. Instead the design studio implied "spend more money and you will get the car sooner". Once they had that money locked up they went and did whatever is most convenient for them.